Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom choices

romanos27

Okay guys,

I'm hoping some of you will weigh in on this one. I already have a few Standards (R8, gold top, HC sunburst) but I'm finally going to get my first LP Custom. I was planning on getting an Alpine white one, but then I came across the '68 VOS in vintage white (I think that's what they call this color). Anyway, it basically looks like Randy Rhoads' LP - nice and creamy. So, which one is the way to go? Obviously, I know it's subjective - but isn't that what these forums are for? I would think the VOS would hold its value better, but maybe I'm off on that.

I'm curious to your guys' thoughts on the this. Also, I know the MSRP and MAP prices of these, but I'd love to hear some real world prices from some of you. Feel free to PM or email me this info, if pricing is taboo on this forum.

Thanks for your help!

Brian

Excluding you choices I can't see a VOS finish adding value. I say that because a quick search will show that the VOS finish can be buffed up and the aged hardware changed quite cheaply. Now a specially aged custom shop guitar where it is sent out, that would be different as they are in low numbers.

I'd go try out a bunch of both models until you find one that feels best to you. As for resale value, ask yourself this question: Are you buying the guitar as an investment or to play it?

Here's my Custom which I play regularly; I take good care of it but it still looks like a guitar that has been played regularly for the past 17 years:

lp1.jpg

If I were buying a Custom today, I'd get the '57 Black Beauty. It's solid, has a mahogany top, long neck tenon & Burstbuckers 1 & 2. The only reason I'd get this guitar is for the mahogany top because of it's affect on tone. My second choice would be the '68RI. It's solid, has a maple cap, long neck tenon & (supposed to have) '57 Classics. They're essentially the same guitar, aside from the mahogany or maple cap but the '57 costs a lot more money for some reason.

If you look at the price of a new regular Custom and a new '68RI, it's really a no brainer. You're getting the '68RI, a guitar with better construction, for a few hundred dollars more.

As for resale, the bottom line is you're going to lose a lot of money if you buy a Custom...any Custom.

If I were buying a Custom today' date=' I'd get the '57 Black Beauty. It's solid, has a mahogany top, long neck tenon & Burstbuckers 1 & 2. The only reason I'd get this guitar is for the mahogany top because of it's affect on tone. My second choice would be the '68RI. It's solid, has a maple cap, long neck tenon & (supposed to have) '57 Classics. They're essentially the same guitar, aside from the mahogany or maple cap but the '57 costs a lot more money for some reason.

If you look at the price of a new regular Custom and a new '68RI, it's really a no brainer. You're getting the '68RI, a guitar with better construction, for a few hundred dollars more.

As for resale, the bottom line is you're going to lose a lot of money if you buy a Custom...any Custom. [/quote']

Is this what your talking about Tim?

Look SWEEEEEEEEEEEET

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-2009-Gibson-68-Les-Paul-Custom-VOS-68_W0QQitemZ110375932517QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item110375932517&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Flight959

Is this what your talking about Tim?

Funny, because I was looking at that one last night and nearly bought it. It works out to $4,000, Canadian...maybe $4,200, with shipping. I heard Gibson doesn't send '69RIs to Canada. Even if I were to get a deal on a new '57 BB, I'd still be looking at close to $5,000, given their current price up here.

Archived