Gibson Brands Forums

Questions about Banner J-45

LesB3

First, full discosure...   I don't really hang out here all that much, and spend most of my time when I'm here in the Epiphone forums...  I'm more of a Gretsch guy, and when it comes to acoustics, prefer my Guilds, but do have a really nice CL-20 that is a joy to play as well.

As of two weeks ago, I now have my second Gibson acoustic, my grandfather's Banner J-45:

315627864_10160352543723256_103856788560

The guitar is currently at a luthier I trust, receiving the necessary repairs to make it playable again.  I have been told it is most likely a '44 (possibly a '43) and that it has a spruce top with maple back and sides.  The guitar has a truss rod and, according to the luthier, has never been touched.  Everything is 100% original.

I am most interested in finding out a bit more about this guitar, where it's been, etc.  I have already purchased (and read) "Kalamazoo Gals," which has inspired me to look into this guitar more.  I know that my grandfather bought this "second hand" (verbally from him), and the case that this has been in for quite some time is emblazoned with the previous owner's name:

315652223_10160352552563256_286469745753

"RIP WALKER"

I have reason to believe it may have been originally purchased in NYC, but can't say for sure.  My grandfather would (most likely) have purchased it some time after he returned home from Europe at the end of WWII.  The book mentions that scans of the original Gibson ledgers were taken by the author, and I would be curious if anyone knew where to find those online so as to see if I could find out more about this guitar.  Of course, I don't even know if these ledgers contain any useful information, but would be interested in seeing them anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help that may be provided!

• Like 1

Congratulations on acquiring that beautiful Kalamazoo Gals-made guitar!

The maple J-45s date to 1944 and 1945. As you already know, they are rare and wonderful guitars.

The ledgers aren't available online. As a condition to being allowed to view them, I promised Gibson that I would not share them.

This said, they don't provide much information. They only list the instrument models and the retailer to whom they were shipped. They do not list Factory Order Numbers (FONs) of the instruments. As a result, the only way to track a specific guitar through the ledgers is to know when and where it was purchased. (The ledgers do list serial numbers, but Gibson only gave serial numbers t

o expensive archtops and a few flattop models like the Nick Lucas).

A wonderful guitar.

Thanks for the kind words about my book.

Again, congratulations!

• Like 1

Thanks JT!  For sure it is a special guitar (to me), but your book has made it all the more interesting, not to mention a fun intellectual pursuit for me these past few weeks.  Once I get her back, I'll add to your online registry (some of the guitars on there already seem to have similar / the same FON).

There was quite a bit of material in the case (lesson books, etc.), I'll see if I'm lucky enough to have a receipt!

Edited by LesB3

2 hours ago, LesB3 said:

Thanks JT!  For sure it is a special guitar (to me), but your book has made it all the more interesting, not to mention a fun intellectual pursuit for me these past few weeks.  Once I get her back, I'll add to your online registry (some of the guitars on there already seem to have similar / the same FON).

There was quite a bit of material in the case (lesson books, etc.), I'll see if I'm lucky enough to have a receipt!

A receipt would be amazing! Please keep us posted.

I'll update the registry over the holidays. You can send pics to me at johnthomasguitar at gmail.

On 11/15/2022 at 6:35 AM, jt said:

The maple J-45s date to 1944 and 1945. As you already know, they are rare and wonderful guitars.

That said, does that indicate the top on this one is likely to be Sitka, being post-CMI acquisition?  I'm not accustomed to seeing Adirondack Red Spruce tops with grain and silking like that one.

I am hoping the OP posts a soundfile of some sort when it returns from repair!

47 minutes ago, rustystrings said:

That said, does that indicate the top on this one is likely to be Sitka, being post-CMI acquisition?  I'm not accustomed to seeing Adirondack Red Spruce tops with grain and silking like that one.

I am hoping the OP posts a soundfile of some sort when it returns from repair!

Yes. And it looks like Sika to me, too.

Was just on the phone with the luthier with the daily report so was able to ask him about the top -he says it looks like Sitka to him, didn't look like Adirondack.

Repairs are progressing nicely, shouldn't be long now!   

No problem posting soundfiles, provided I can "figure it out."  😉

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LesB3 said:

Was just on the phone with the luthier with the daily report so was able to ask him about the top -he says it looks like Sitka to him, didn't look like Adirondack.

Repairs are progressing nicely, shouldn't be long now!   

No problem posting soundfiles, provided I can "figure it out."  😉

What a special gift from your grandfather!   My dad's Gibson went to my nephew, (even though he doesn't play much).....so I wanted to make SURE my grandkids get something special from me....all set, and my son has the instructions!   Congratz on a special guitar!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update...

Had several local people recommend the same name, so took it to Jack Romano of Vintage Guitar Repair (Conshy, PA). He's done work for me in the past and has always been thorough and fair. Highly recommended.

I have been told it is most likely a '44 (possibly a '45) and that it has a Sitka spruce top with maple back and sides. The guitar has a truss rod and, according to the luthier, has never been touched. Everything is 100% original.

Since I intend to play this guitar (and never sell it), we decided it was just better to replace the tuners with "restoration" tuners from Stew-Mac that lined up with the existing holes (even the old grommets could be reused). They're "OK" and at least do their job while still looking the part.

316543582_10160408915713256_729940825399

The guitar is in very good shape for its age, and Jack was amazed at how little "patina" there is. So much so that some might think it was an earlier refin. He said he is positive it is the original finish. The top had been repaired in the past and the repairs appear to have been very good. The cleats were replaced (as necessary) and a lot of the internal bracing had to be reglued (some of the braces fell out while I was there).

317070692_10160408915718256_144243518921

The neck is slightly chunky though still comfortable, and in the sunlight you can actually see the flame on the back of the neck. We strung it with a standard set of Martin 12's, action is slightly higher than I like, but its still settling in so will see how I feel in a couple of days. The guitar is surprisingly articulate, not at all woody, and I imagine it could punch through fairly well. This, I imagine, is down to the Maple body. It makes for a wonderful contrast to the Guilds and Martins I normally play.

The holidays have basically stripped me of all personal time, but can't wait to really work her over next week!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Art, Beauty, Mojo.... what am I leaving out ??   

(I  think Gibson severely restricts picture posting so we don't take up space on their 'server' or 'cloud' or whatever.  Otherwise we'd be posting pictures of Martins.  Oh, wait.

40... ya made me think..... My account shows there are 900+ pages on this thread.... I went back to the beginning and everything is either moved somewhere, or archived.   In fact, it seems that everything is archived before 2018....but you can still read the posts, you just can't respond....so you're probably right..... posting too many photos and too large of files would clog up the site.    This forum was started in 2008, I think.....I came around in 2009.... active for awhile then silent...then active....then silent.....

• Like 1

I have nothing to add here except "WOW".  I have a '48 and it is favourite guitar out of the rotating cast of 10 or 12 around here.  But a Banner J-45 would be a bucket list guitar for me for sure.  Extra special for you with the family history.  Congratulations, enjoy!

That is a STUNNING guitar with a wonderful story!

You mentioned the action being higher than you would prefer.  I will throw out the idea of trying John Pearse Pure Nickel acoustic  strings, the .012-.054 set.  Allegedly the nickel is less dense than bronze; I have noted that whenever I replace a set of bronze strings with these, I need to gently loosen the truss rod a touch, as they really do feel like they have less tension.  My perception (fwiw) is that the nickel strings give a more transparent sound, i.e., less hyped.  They certainly retain the same tonal qualities for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 5:26 AM, Salfromchatham said:

Congrats… and bummed I can’t see any pics.

Well, I've tried.  The forum refuses to let me insert a link to the photo(s), and I have tried facebook, google photos, and even a cross-post from another forum.

Here's a link to my post on the Gretsch forum, plenty of pretty pictures!

Other Thread