Gibson Brands Forums

Boveda 49% yes or........not inside the case

hello there American brothers 

In all my gibson guitars  cases  i keep an envolpe of this product against humidity and dry  believing that  they are protected  by both  but despite of that, every time i do not play one for a while and i keep it out to play i found the intonation a little bit sharp , my luthier  told me  to  keep them out and leave the guitars alone , my question is whether or not keep them inside  is healthy or  not .

thanks to all   and  FORZA AMERICA !   always 

Hey Marco,

so..   Relative Humidity is the thing to watch.  You want know what that is in the place you will keep the guitar. 

Without a hygrometer which measures the RH in your home or room where you plan to keep it you will have no way to know.  They are not expensive and readily available on Amazon for example.  

Amazon.com: AcuRite 00613 Digital Hygrometer & Indoor Thermometer Pre-Calibrated Humidity Gauge, 3" H x 2.5" W x 1.3" D, Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden

40% ~ to 60% RH is the safe range.  With 60% probably adding a bit too much moisture to the wood which while it will dull the tone, it won't harm the structure.  If you can keep the room around 45% all the time, you are good to go.  50% is usually the standard.  but some people thing their guitars sound better a little drier.

You don't want the guitar left out permanently if the room is too dry (under 35~30% RH)  or over 65% RH  or if the humidity levels are all over the place over a weeks time. 

The case is 100% the safest place always. 

Regarding these Humidpaks,   I've got a set for one of my taylors, and without any supplemental aid like a dampit or a damp sponge in a sandwich bag with some holes poked in it in the case those will dry out in the winter.  

Oasis tube humidifiers are a pretty good alternative, (follow the directions!)  or a guitar sized dampit wick  (probably the safest option)

Edited by kidblast

Hello there mate ,

Martin for his  acoustics  which i have one,   gives  the  range between 45-55% and temperature  between 72-77 fahrenheit  all right ?    with  the boveda pockets in  every guitar  acoustic  and electric  with   the hygrometer    into the cases   it gives me  a temperature of 73  and humidity at  57  % , my question is  whether  or not the 2 way humidity boveda  control  49% are  healthy  inside  or   i d rather  better to leave them out of the cases , well  i believe  that  a little  more of humidity  cannot be dangerous  for the wood  both for the electric and the acoustic guitars  even tho  when i take them out to play them  i find the tuning sharper , what do you make of that then  ?

hey Marco

the numbers that you're giving here for RH are all in good ranges. 

The temperature doesn't really matter, if you're ok, the guitars ok.

57% iRH s fine,    you may notice that the guitar comes a bit more lively tone wise close to 45% RH  The more moisture in the wood, the tone tends to mellow out a bit.  but it's still structurally safe.  you're ok as is.  Play em and enjoy the time doing that.

• 1 month later...