Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird custom shop case refresh

marco mancini

Just what i have done , i put the firebird in this gig bag  bass which in comparison  is smelling like a meadow in spring time  which in turn makes the guitar smelling like a rose 

https://ibb.co/k5r33RC

the problem of this  hard case is basically  this , the former owner of the guitar probably  has let the guitar closed  in the case with used strings  smelling of rust  impregnating  in turn  the upper side of the case where  the strings are in contact  with the fabric  of the case above , if  i change the strings and i close the guitar into it   the new strings  get up  the rusty odour  immediately  which in turn  get on my hands and stay there  no matter what , this  odour has in a way infested    all the case ,  well  i hope is not gonna be a situation beyond rapair .  😕

i fear the baking soda could ruin the fabric of the case , at the moment i'm keeping the case wide open  into my room not out in the cold  and  brushing away  the dust,  and from time to time  spraying over it the FEBREZE , that light product which is used  to brush away odours from   dresses and outfits  shirts  and so on ,  It is very strange indeed  i have got a PRS custom  which i kept  in its case for 25 years   and it still tastes of new when you open  the case up  .

Febreze might be ok, and it might not. I'm no chemist, but I would be cautious. This is a list of ingredients/constituents from the Febreze web site:

We know the products you use and the ingredients they contain are important to you. So, go ahead: Take a peek at the label. We’re confident you’ll recognize what’s in each bottle of Febreze.

Check out SmartLabel for a full list of product ingredients.

Alcohol

You know it as: a product of fermented fruits and grains

What it does: dries fabrics after they're sprayed

Used in: Fabric Refresher, Air Effects

Benzisothiazolinone

You know it as: a common ingredient in antibacterial hand soap

What it does: keeps microbes from contaminating your Febreze

Used in: Air Effects

Dialkyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate

You know it as: a common ingredient in cosmetics

What it does: helps disperse Febreze around your room

Didecyl Dimethyl Ammonium Chloride

You know it as: a mineral-based fabric penetration aid

What it does: helps Febreze dig deep into fabrics to find odors

Used in: Fabric Refresher

Diethylene Glycol

You know it as: a common ingredient in cosmetics and perfumes

What it does: partners with cyclodextrin to capture odor molecules of ALL sizes

Dye

You know it as: pigments used to add color

What it does: helps make Febreze a colorful part of your daily life

Used in: Candles

Fragrance*

You know it as: flowers, fruits, and fresh rain

What it does: leaves behind that light, fresh scent you love

Used in: Fabric Refresher, Air Effects, CAR, PLUG, Small Spaces, Wax Melts, Candles

(PEG-60) Hydrogenated Castor Oil

You know it as: a product made from castor beans

What it does: makes sure the product works smoothly from the first to the last spritz

(Hydroxypropyl) Cyclodextrin

You know it as: a product made from sweet summer corn and potatoes

What it does: traps odors and locks them away (not just covering them up!)

Modified Polydimethicone

You know it as: silica, a natural mineral found in bananas and spinach

What it does: helps Febreze dig deep into fabrics to find embedded odors

Nitrogen

You know it as: a natural part of the air we breathe

What it does: provides a safer way to disperse a fine mist of ahhh-some into the air… without VOC-containing propellants

Stink Blockers

You know it as: perfumes

What it does: gives your nose immediate relief while the odor fighters get to work

Used in: CAR, PLUG, Small Spaces

Odor Fighters

You know it as: perfumes

What it does: specially designed perfumes that bind to stinky ammonia- and sulfur-based compounds, turning them into water

Used in: CAR, PLUG, Small Spaces

Paraffin Wax

You know it as: a wax made from petroleum jelly

What it does: helps release freshness into the air evenly and safely over time

Petrolatum Wax

You know it as: a wax made from petroleum jelly

Polyamine Polymer

You know it as: a common ingredient in detergents

What it does: locks tough lingering odors, especially fatty cooking odors

Sodium Citrate

You know it as: the bubbly in seltzer; the zest in citrus fruits and pine needles

What it does: balances out the pH of bad odors—so they’re as neutral as water

Sodium Maleate

You know it as: the tartness in apples and pears

What it does: balances out the pH of bad odors—so they’re as neutral as water

Soy Wax

You know it as: soybean oil in a solid form

Used in: Wax Melts, Candles

Water

You know it as: H2O, in its purest form

What it does: leads odor-fighting molecules to odors and stabilizes the formula

i do not believe that Fabreze  sprayed from time to time over the fabric of the case can cause   harm the texture   , as far as i can tell  the most important thing is kept open  the case to the  air  as long as it can   , it is quite clear that the guitar is kept in another gibson gig bag which  is helping a lot to change even the odour of the guitar as a whole   but  for this issue  i would like to ask : whether  there are scented polishes  over in the market  because the  Dunlop 65 is totally odourless  and   cant help  to change the "antique" smelling of the nitrolaque  covering the wood of the guitar .

cheers 

Your guitar will love the smell of Fabreeze and when your guitar reacts with it, I hope you have plenty of tissues around. Spray some on your guitar and see if it likes it, cause it’s gonna go from your case to the finish of your guitar. Don’t Fabreeze it.

Here is what is in it. I recognize water and dye and fragrance, but the rest sound like designer drugs.

https://www.febreze.com/en-us/ingredients-safety/our-ingredients

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, marco mancini said:

Do you mean that I can't be put the guitar back in his case even tho I sprayed the fabreeze a week ago  and the Interior is perfectly dry?

You do you. Fabreeze is going no where need my guitars with nitro finishes. Those chemicals are probably still in your case just sitting on top of the what ever color fuzzy stuff it is made of.

So did you spray your case?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You do you. Fabreeze is going no where need my guitars with nitro finishes. Those chemicals are probably still in your case just sitting on top of the what ever color fuzzy stuff it is made of.

So did you spray your case?

I did  yes  four or five times   but now  i ve decided to  keep the case open up inside the cupboard where i kept all my guitars  maybe  the fabric of the case will change the odour  in any case  before putting in my firbird III64  inside it i will put in my cheap squire telecaster to see whether the nitro finishes get some bad reaction 

is that ok ? 

58 minutes ago, marco mancini said:

I did  yes  four or five times   but now  i ve decided to  keep the case open up inside the cupboard where i kept all my guitars  maybe  the fabric of the case will change the odour  in any case  before putting in my firbird III64  inside it i will put in my cheap squire telecaster to see whether the nitro finishes get some bad reaction 

is that ok ? 

Your Tele is probably sprayed with polyurethane, and not nitro, so it wont be the same. But if your froggy spray a bit of fabreeze on a Gibson and let us know how it went. Is the case the fuzzy stuff or the harder non fuzzy stuff?

I got  Pepper what you mean  so as far as you you are concerned i must avoid to use  this case again to store my Firebird ?  https://ibb.co/DDyfHXD  

well  i  tried to spray the fabreeze  directly on an old bass  https://ibb.co/GCzw4nC   it doesnt look like to have had any harm at all .

do you mean that the fabric in the case even tho is completely dry of Fabreeze  can cause harm  to a nitro laquer  guitar 

6 hours ago, marco mancini said:

I got  Pepper what you mean  so as far as you you are concerned i must avoid to use  this case again to store my Firebird ?  https://ibb.co/DDyfHXD  

well  i  tried to spray the fabreeze  directly on an old bass  https://ibb.co/GCzw4nC   it doesnt look like to have had any harm at all .

do you mean that the fabric in the case even tho is completely dry of Fabreeze  can cause harm  to a nitro laquer  guitar 

Who made the bass, and are you sure it’s nitro finished? Gibson and Martin spray nitro. Fender is poly. Others no clue. People have put Snark guitar tuners in the headstock of their guitars for 10 mins and it reacted with the rubber (which is dry) feet of the tuner, and it left a mark, and you want to spray all that stuff that is in Fabreeze in your case. Have at it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

29 minutes ago, marco mancini said:

Dear Pepper  just bear with me  but how  can i see a change  if i put a guitar like this in the case ? 

https://ibb.co/vsqQNqH   ..................or  a Rick Beato ? 

If your guitar does have a reaction it may change the color or your finish or leave what looks like a burned spot where it reacted. 

Here is a guitar that was wrapped in bubble wrap. That is gonna be fun to look at when you take the guitar out to play. Even with polish or a cleaner that is probably there for the rest of the guitars life.

K5wNqvf.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Like I said its not my guitar so put in in the case and let us know how it worked out. Here is one thing you can do. Take a rag and spray some Fabreeze on it. Put a small amount (maybe the size of a pea) on the guitar in question on an area that wont be seen, like the back and see what happens. Then post some pics for us to see the good or bad.

Marco, 

I know its frustrating to not be able to use your case. I also am aware that English isn't your 1st language, but you had many warnings about this (including my original and subsequent replies). 

Using chemicals risks damaging the guitar nitro of course. Good luck.

I also urge you not to use the case as it is. 

You could do what Sgt said and try a spot of Febreze (I suggest under the pickguard). Even then it would not guarantee against long term damage.

If it was mine I would seriously consider re-lining the case. 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Marco, 

I know its frustrating to not be able to use your case. I also am aware that English isn't your 1st language, but you had many warnings about this (including my original and subsequent replies). 

I also urge you not to use the case as it is. 

You could do what Sgt said and try a spot of Febreze (I suggest under the pickguard). Even then it would not guarantee against long term damage.

If it was mine I would seriously consider re-lining the case. 

Right , re-lining the case but  how ?   Is there  a way  on how to ask such a spare part at Gibson ?

20 hours ago, marco mancini said:

Right , re-lining the case but  how ?   Is there  a way  on how to ask such a spare part at Gibson ?

I'm sure Gibson cannot help with that. Its not something I've ever done either. But I just found these

https://www.fuelrocks.com/how-to-reline-a-guitar-case/

https://umgf.com/how-to-reline-a-case-t5344.html

I would just stop messing with the febreze altogether. It’s supposed to remove odors but it’s just a scented spray. So it will ad a flowery scent to whatever bad scent you’re trying to get rid of. 

Ever just devastated a restroom and then sprayed febreze? The febreze ain’t foolin anyone... Really the combo of bad smell and febreze tends to smell worse than if you just let the bad smell dissipate 

You need to leave the case open outside with the sun directly on the interior lining. I would mix vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle and spray down the lining a bit 

let's say that that i ve sprayed the fabreeze  four or five times  and now the lining is totally dry , how are you supposed to put  the case outside when the temperature  is 0 celsius ? 

the idea of the vinigar along water is cool  but what about the vinegar ,  apple vinegar ?  and what about the doses between them ?

Edited by marco mancini