Gibson Brands Forums

Trip to GC for strings ended up costing me $2505.60

TattooedCarrot

I have never paid full price for big items at GC. They will wheel and deal if you push them. I was in one the other day and I could not believe how much used equipment they had. People are hard up for cash. They had at least 20 used pedals and a whole section for used guitars. Be a bully and name your price, they will cave in.

What pick ups does it have & why does it say "classic" on the cover. I figured this model replaced the classic.

Left over truss covers I guess. This could just as well be marketed as the new and improved Classic. Specs are pretty cool though.

Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro Electric Guitar Features:

* Body Style: Non-chambered

* Top: Carved maple

* Back: Mahogany

* Neck: Set mahogany

* Neck Profile: '60s

* Headstock: Angled

* Scale length: 24-3/4"

* Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood

* No. of frets: 22 lloy Fret Wire

* Nut width: 1.69"

* Inlays: Trapezoid

* Binding: Antique

* Bridge: Tune-O-Matic with stopbar tailpiece

* Tuners: Locking Grover

* Hardware: Chrome

* Bridge pickup: potted BurstBucker 3 humbucker with coil-splitting

* Neck Pickup: '57 Classic with coil-splitting

* Electronics: 2 volume with push/pull coil-splitting, 2 tone, 3-way toggle pickup selector

* Knobs: Vintage Gibson top hats

* Pickguard: Period-correct

* Case: Hardshell

* Other: Plek Set-up

Hmmm... coil splitting, really? On a traditional? Also don't the Traditionals all have "Traditional" engraved on the TRC? Also the Traditionals have covered pups, no? I thought the tuners were green key Kluson too. What's up with this guitar?

Guys, please read the posts. This is a GC/MF exclusive guitar called the Traditional PRO, not the traditional. The specs are very different. The Classic truss cover appears to allude to confusion between Gibson and GC as to what they are calling this model. GC/MF is calling it the Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro, Gibson labeled them as Classics. They do not appear on Gibson's product page because its not a regular production Gibson model.

Definitely an unique combination of features - and as I said a real looker. How do you switch the coils? Push pots? How does it sound?

Sounds great, I've always liked the 57 and always wanted to try the BB3 as I prefer slightly hot-rodded PAF style bridge pickups. Add to that, that I often install coil taps on my neck pickups and this is just icing on the cake. Split is by pulling up on the volume knobs for either the neck or bridge. The sound gets a little brighter, and snappier, but no real volume drop to speak of (I guess the coils must be balanced?).

thats a sweet paul' date=' love the zebra p/up look[/quote'] Ha ha. I was just getting ready to say "Get pickup covers for those things". Not my bag. I say silver pickup covers and take the pickguard off. The Taylor looks nice too.

Hmmm... coil splitting' date=' really? On a traditional? Also don't the Traditionals all have "Traditional" engraved on the TRC? Also the Traditionals have covered pups, no? I thought the tuners were green key Kluson too. What's up with this guitar? [/quote']

I'm guessing GC went with 'Traditional' in the name in reference to the non-chambered body and the 'pro' to reflect the upgraded tuners, pick-up choice, coil-splitting etc. - kind of a factory-hot-rod deal.

Maybe Gibson made these for them using LP Classics as the base guitar?

Either way it's reealllyy nice and it seems like a pretty good deal too.

To Original Poster:

How the hell did you get a Les Paul Standard for under $2000 ??!!

Anyhow, MAJOR gratz....I am also a huge fan of Taylor's, very nice necks, even though I personally pack 6 and 12-string Takamines for my acoustic work....

To Original Poster:

Anyhow' date=' MAJOR gratz....I am also a huge fan of Taylor's, very nice necks, even though I personally pack 6 and 12-string Takamines for my acoustic work....[/quote']

Here it is for 1 penny below $2k ;)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar-105312888-i1444565.gc

To Original Poster:

Anyhow' date=' MAJOR gratz....I am also a huge fan of Taylor's, very nice necks, even though I personally pack 6 and 12-string Takamines for my acoustic work....[/quote']

posted again for the reading impaired nana.gif

LP was priced at $1' date='999 and the Taylor at $999 (normally priced with a case). I just offered them a package deal that I would buy both right now for $2500 out-the-door. They came back and countered with almost $2,700 and I said no thanks and headed for the door (it was already 6PM Easter Sunday and they were closing). Sales guy ran back to the Manager, came back and countered again $2505.60. I'm not going to raise a stink over $5.60 and I guess they needed to feel like they got me to compromise - LOL, so I grabbed them both. I had already played them and they both were a good fit for me.

The actual breakdown on the receipt is:

Taylor = $746.17

Gibson = $1435.89

LP Case = $116.66 (GC always prices the case as a separate item)

Tax = $206.88 (Friggin Gov. Arnold just bumped our sales tax up last week!!)

Total = $2505.60

[/quote']

Archived