Gibson Brands Forums

Just got my an (hopefully my first) Explorer!

Mike CT

I have been itching to get one for a while and pulled the trigger on this 2000.  Little scuffs here and there but no dings and plays amazing.  Absolutely love it.  I only play for fun at night sitting down and it’s insanely comfortable.

On the electric side, I have a 2017 LP that I put a 59/JB in and a 2019 SG with a 490r/498T (swapped out the 490T), so this is a killer addition.  I’m sure there is a lot of newness going on here, but I absolutely can’t it it down!

0B14DC71-2217-43A6-A7B3-D48028A21909.jpeg

• Like 1

The case is bigger than my coffee table.  And speaking of the case I’m not sure what the purpose is of that cloth that covers the guitar.  It just gets in the way and I can’t figure out what the purpose of it is.  Other cases don’t have that.

9 minutes ago, Mike CT said:

The case is bigger than my coffee table.  And speaking of the case I’m not sure what the purpose is of that cloth that covers the guitar.  It just gets in the way and I can’t figure out what the purpose of it is.  Other cases don’t have that.

It's bed covers 

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

They stop dirty strings marking the inside lid. Not needed if you wipe them down after. I like them anyway.

Wouldn't it be on the shroud now? What is gonna protect that? A second shroud and then a tertiary one?

• Haha 1

I’ve had this guitar for a few days now and I absolutely love it.   I only play sitting in my basement for fun and this guitar is almost 9.5 pounds (more than 1 pound over my Les Paul) and it balances perfectly and feels like nothing.  It is so incredibly playable and it is just nasty in a great way.   I don’t know if it’s the massive hunk of wood or the hot ceramic picks ups because I’ve only had JB and 498 Alincos with my other two electrics, but the sound coming out of the amp is massive and outstanding.   I’m really tempted to cut my 2019 SG (with a swapped out 498 for the stock 490t) loose now and get another one of these but put the hot Gibson’s 70s tribute  alinco’s in it for some variation.  Loved the neck on this one like my SG and LP.  Wow - can’t put it down!

• Like 2

Congratulations on that cool Guitar! I hear you on the size of those Cases! I have a Firebird V…

I have a few Gibson’s.. Only one has a Deluxe Case with the Shroud.. If I recall it’s a ‘90’s L.P Standard Plus. I have to check .. The overall Case itself is an upgrade.. Maybe Made in U.S.A.? I like those Cases.. Class!

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Pretty sure you need a white and korina version next 

I really wanted a white one more than anything, but this one just looked great and the price made a lot of sense for me for an extra guitar that I don’t need.  I have an Ebony SG so wanted some variation.  I still really want a white one so I’d love to find some sort of a trade for my Les Paul or SG for the right one.

Edited by Mike CT

Going back to the case "shroud" - I think it was pretty standard in the 90s sometime.  I recall having a LP classic with it, and my ES175 case had one.  I always thought it was to insulate the guitar a little better in cold weather, but I may be wrong about that.  

24 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Pretty sure Gibson posted a pic of some on instagram recently. I think that might actually happen 

Unless it's a Hetfield signature model. Trogly had some good observations suggesting it will not be a regular model. But we'll see.