Gibson Brands Forums

Cover of Roy Orbison’s Crying

rbpicker

16 hours ago, rbpicker said:

here’s my attempt at Roy’s classic ballad.  From a few years ago.  I sing it a tad lower than Roy, but we all do.  Gibson J45.
I hope you enjoy this attempt.  Thanks very much for listening.

Roger

It's said only a fool would try to sing a Roy Orbison song!    But you pulled it off!   Great job!

I recorded this song years ago as part of my commitment to video my entire repertoire for my grandkids.....This song was in my chart book because I did it with a female friend who could hit the high notes!

Keep  'em coming!   I enjoy your stuff.....you're very talented.

Thank you all for the nice comments.  I appreciate you taking the time to listen and respond.  One of these days, I’ll stop doing this hobby, but for now it’s still fun after 60 years of playing.  Damn….60 years…I should be a whole lot better than I am.  Still fun though.

roger

34 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

Thank you all for the nice comments.  I appreciate you taking the time to listen and respond.  One of these days, I’ll stop doing this hobby, but for now it’s still fun after 60 years of playing.  Damn….60 years…I should be a whole lot better than I am.  Still fun though.

roger

Roger, I too have been playing for over 60 years….and I tell people if I had spent as much on lessons as I have on guitars, I’d be a heck of a lot better!

1 hour ago, rbpicker said:

roger

Roger, if we’re not having fun, we won’t enjoy it.  Music is a blast!  Let’s keep it going.

I have to admit I didn’t know what to expect when I played your rendition of Crying in the video.  But, you certainly nailed it.  You got the emotion, the phrasing, the soul, and the octave singing just right!  That’s quite an achievement.  Great rendition!  It stunned me.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Great job, Roger, Roy would have approved.....

After watching your video, it suddenly struck me as to why you look so familiar; many, many years ago, you came to my house and bought a used Twin Reverb that I had advertised on Tradin' Times (remember that mag, before CL??).  You may not recall, but I'm pretty positive it was you....just sayin'.....

• Like 1

Joe M, that was very likely me, indeed.  I remember buying a Twin Reverb, a 1978 with the silver grille trim, as I recall.  It was in great condition, and REALLY LOUD….LOL.   

Thanks  for posting and reminding me about our transaction.  These days I’d struggle to lift a Twin Reverb.  

take care, Joe.

roger

40 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

Joe M, that was very likely me, indeed.  I remember buying a Twin Reverb, a 1978 with the silver grille trim, as I recall.  It was in great condition, and REALLY LOUD….LOL.   

Thanks  for posting and reminding me about our transaction.  These days I’d struggle to lift a Twin Reverb.  

take care, Joe.

roger

HA, Deluxe Reverb is my weight limit now, and even then, sometimes I think too much...

1 hour ago, G Man said:

Princeton Reverb in a 12" cabinet, who needs more?

I still have my Dual Showman Reverb from back in the day!   It's on wheels and lives in my office..... but I don't want to move it.... I do still use it from time to time....but I use it in my office.    My 'go to' amp is my dad's old Princeton Reverb.