Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V 90 double

AndreaC

hello everybody! I'm new of this forum. I'm a proud owner of some beautiful Gibson, among which a Flying V 90 Double, black! beautiful guitar that I bought many years ago here in Italy.

I'd like to find a way to estimate the current value on the market for a guitar like this, since I'm trying to sell it because I only play home and this is an on-stage "beast"!

here a picture for you all

thanks and stay rock!!

Andrea

20220319_095729_resized_1.jpg

No idea of value really but I’ve seen a lot of SG90s in stores and never one of these. It’s super rare to get a Floyd rose on a Gibson V and those inlays are awesome. I could easily see you getting more than $3,000 usd for this but check completed listings on reverb to get a better idea

On 12/10/2022 at 2:03 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

No idea of value really but I’ve seen a lot of SG90s in stores and never one of these. It’s super rare to get a Floyd rose on a Gibson V and those inlays are awesome. I could easily see you getting more than $3,000 usd for this but check completed listings on reverb to get a better idea

Thanks a lot Dub!! I have the price list of the importer in 1990, and this one was sold at more or less the same price of a Les Paul Custom, so I guess you are right with your estimation, even if market rules are sometimes strange!

Anyway both the Floyd Rose branded Gibson and the Steinberger lever (to play seated) are original, at that time Gibson was the owner of Steinberger, that's what I learnt.

thanks again and have a nice day!

Andrea

3 minutes ago, AndreaC said:

Thanks a lot Dub!! I have the price list of the importer in 1990, and this one was sold at more or less the same price of a Les Paul Custom, so I guess you are right with your estimation, even if market rules are sometimes strange!

Anyway both the Floyd Rose branded Gibson and the Steinberger lever (to play seated) are original, at that time Gibson was the owner of Steinberger, that's what I learnt.

thanks again and have a nice day!

Andrea

I forgot to say that pickups are also original, the Humbucker is a Bill Lawrence 500, awesome!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 2:14 AM, AndreaC said:

I forgot to say that pickups are also original, the Humbucker is a Bill Lawrence 500, awesome!

The good news is yours has everything going for it.

1. Original condition, including finish, pups and case- usually these were bought by kids over the years and trashed. 

2. Floyd Rose model. The most common Doubles were stringthrough bridge models. These weren’t recessed but the Doubles came with actual FRs not licensed or the terrible Steinberger units.

If in good cosmetic condition (which it may appear from the one pic) I would go for no less than $3,500 unless you wanted it gone quickly, in which case , no less than $3,000. I sold a white one in identical condition years ago for more.

Also good news, is these have their fanatics (which I once was before owning a few and deciding they were not for me). These fanatics will look very favorably on an original condition example in good condition

The bad news is that they are a niche metal-market guitar and the fanatical fans are much more scarce than those interested in the traditional 50s/60s/Norlins, so you may have to wait for the right buyer. Good luck!

Edited by V-man