Gibson Brands Forums

2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s neck enquiries

jalexquijano

How does the tone control works on a Gibson Les Paul 50s neck? For example if I am using either the neck or bridge pickup at volume 10 and lower the tone on that pickup to 0, I dont hear quite a dramatic difference in tone. Is this normal for a Gibson les paul Standard 50s neck? I am not complaining, I just want to know if both tone pots are damaged or not or due to the 50s style wiring it works this way?

Hello. well, i´ve got a 2004 Les paul 60`s neck.. your tones controls ara fine. with distortion it´s jut like you said "no quite a dramatic difference in tone" But with clean sound, you can hear a big difference in both neck and bridge position. So try to check that..

So if you dont hear a difference with distrontion and clean sound, maybe something is worng, otherwise everything it´s ok.

Take care.

• 5 weeks later...
Hello. well' date=' i´ve got a 2004 Les paul 60`s neck.. your tones controls ara fine. with distortion it´s jut like you said "no quite a dramatic difference in tone" But with clean sound, you can hear a big difference in both neck and bridge position. So try to check that..

So if you dont hear a difference with distrontion and clean sound, maybe something is worng, otherwise everything it´s ok.

Take care.

[/quote'] WHat kind of pots does the Les paul standard 50s neck carry? 500k or 300k? Long or short shaft?

Is it worth it buying replacement parts at Mojo Musical or all parts?

jalexquijano, why do you keep mentioning that you have a '50s neck? That has nothing to do with your tone pots.

Your guitar has 300k volume pots and 500k tone pots. Long shaft.

You should be noticing a difference by rolling the tone pots down.

It cuts out the highs and you end up with a sort of muffled, bassy sound.

Definitely worth buying replacement parts but only if you're not happy with the tone of the ones you have now.

Try RS Guitarworks. I don't know if they delive to S. America, though.

jalexquijano' date=' why do you keep mentioning that you have a '50s neck? That has nothing to do with your tone pots.

Your guitar has 300k volume pots and 500k tone pots. Long shaft.

You should be noticing a difference by rolling the tone pots down.

It cuts out the highs and you end up with a sort of muffled, bassy sound.

Definitely worth buying replacement parts but only if you're not happy with the tone of the ones you have now.

Try RS Guitarworks. I don't know if they delive to S. America, though.[/quote']

What about mojo musical? Is it better to purchase the original gibson long shaft pots? what about the bumble bee capacitor? Is it worth replacing the original capacitor and placing the 0.022 bumblebee capacitor in place of the original?

I still have not made up my mine on installing a pickguard and opening holes to the guitar? Im really a Jimmy Page The song remains the same 1972-1973 concerts fan. I heard there is a guy who is supplying a pickguard that does not require drilling holes on the guitar (Bobby Lee). However it does not look the same as the original pickguard.

Archived