Gibson Brands Forums

New SJ200 - Good Deal?

mpaul73

10 minutes ago, mpaul73 said:

Just wanted feedback/opinion as I am about to spend a lot of money on a new SJ-200 Original - Vintage Sunburst. I've negotiated with a store down to $4000 (before tax) for the new Gibson. This seems like a good deal. Would you pull the trigger?

I always go by what I want....not what something costs.  

When I was a kid and was looking to buy a piece of gear for several hundred dollars, I was hesitant....my Dad told me.... "You'll have a few hundred dollars go through your hands thousands of times through your life..... but if you buy that guitar you'll have it forever!

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I always go by what I want....not what something costs.  

When I was a kid and was looking to buy a piece of gear for several hundred dollars, I was hesitant....my Dad told me.... "You'll have a few hundred dollars go through your hands thousands of times through your life..... but if you buy that guitar you'll have it forever!

I understand the point, but I always look for a good deal. Don't want to pay more than I should or could.

3 minutes ago, mpaul73 said:

I understand the point, but I always look for a good deal. Don't want to pay more than I should or could.

Yes....I don't just throw money away....but I buy what I WANT.... if I can get a better deal on a guitar I don't exactly want...they I'll FOREVER feel like I "settled".

35 minutes ago, mpaul73 said:

Just wanted feedback/opinion as I am about to spend a lot of money on a new SJ-200 Original - Vintage Sunburst. I've negotiated with a store down to $4000 (before tax) for the new Gibson. This seems like a good deal. Would you pull the trigger?

Some of the questions here should be: how does the 4k price of the instrument fit in with your income/savings/living expenses? Are you intending on going into debt, or, paying cash? Cash is King. These are some of the things I would consider. 

Edited by afishynado

3 minutes ago, afishynado said:

Some of the questions here should be: how does the 4k price of the instrument fit in with your income/savings/living expenses? Are you intending on going into debt, or, paying cash? These are some of the things I would consider. Cash is King.

I can afford it and I AM going to buy one. It seems like a great deal and from  a reputable online store. It has just been a long time since I bought a new guitar. I know not to pay retail, I just don't know how this compares to what others have paid?

1 minute ago, mpaul73 said:

I can afford it and I AM going to buy one. It seems like a great deal and from  a reputable online store. It has just been a long time since I bought a new guitar. I know not to pay retail, I just don't know how this compares to what others have paid?

Have you ever seen anyone give their purchase price here?

5 minutes ago, mpaul73 said:

Well, I'm new here so I have no clue! Not looking for a "purchase price" just if it's a deal I should jump on.

I can't tell you whether or not you should jump on it but I'm sure someone here can tell you if you should make that decision.

Edited by afishynado

Just now, mpaul73 said:

The last new guitar I bought was in 2011.   It was a Hummingbird Custom Koa, made especially for Guitar Center.   I believe it was a little over $4K.

I could have gotten a regular Hummingbird for about $2500....but that would have been 'settling'...and since I'll only live this one time, I  bought what I wanted.

If you want THIS guitar.... the price is not out of line.....buy it....if you're buying it only because you feel it's a good deal....and it's not what you truly want.... wait until you find EXACTLY what you want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mpaul73 said:

Understandable. But life isn't guaranteed. Remember that. So if there's something you want really badly, and you can afford it, I wouldn't sweat it. You can always replace the extra cash, but you can never replace the one that got away. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee

5600 list.   What do these actually sell for where your  at?    Not sure where your at  on on they are priced.  
Up here in Canada. It would be in the 5600 cdn range to buy.  Im sure if I walked into a commission  store.  Im pretty sure 5100 cdn cash would take one home.  

so 4000  from a 5600us list isnt bad 

12 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

List price is around $5900, so 4K is roughly 20% off and you're not likely to do much better than that at a retail store these days.  So I'd say the price is right.  If you love the guitar go for it and enjoy!!

List of $5900? Gibson site says $5,299?

I try to monitor and track prices but it's getting harder and harder.

The Gibson site shows MAP much like the dealers, they do not show list anymore. 4K sounds like a good price

Just for me based on my experience and based on $5299 MAP (Min Advertised Price)

List-$5667 

MAP-$5299 

Standard dealer discounted price-$4320

If you know someone and can get 40% off list -$3400

It sounds like you've had a chance to play it and know you want this particular model.   It's not an impulse buy. You're not a newbie.   If you DON'T get it  -  something may come up, like a car repair bill,  a root canal, a new girlfriend, etc.  and you might never be at this point again.   I can't imagine not having my SJ200.   No way I miss the money.  Didn't miss it from the moment I wrote the check. 

I've had four SJ200's, two of the customs. All very nice guitars.  I enjoyed the sound of the standard above the Koa and Rosewood customs. When I sold them, I figured I could always get a standard if I miss it enough. I do miss it and I have one on order. Although not a standard, it is maple.