Gibson Brands Forums

New SJ200 - Good Deal?

mpaul73

17 hours ago, Larsongs said:

You’re close. If it’s Brand new, in the wrapper, untouched I think 20% off for that Guitar is a deal! If it’s a Floor model I’d want a bigger discount..

When I bought my 'Bird back in 2011, I saw it advertised on line at the GC store in San Jose.   I was in Los Angeles at the time.   I called them, and told them I'd be in on Monday to pick it up.....told them to put it in the case and leave it alone until I got there.  I don't think I even left a deposit over the phone, but I might have.    I didn't want a 15 year-old "Grunge-Wannabe" banging in around.

About five years back my wife snagged a new Martin D12-28.  She got around 20% off of the street price.  But there was a reason they cut her a deal which had nothing to do with her skill when it came to haggling.  The shop had two of those guitars hanging on the wall and this one had apparently been sitting there longer so the shop just wanted to move it.  I guess the point is when a shop offers you a deal which seems to be too good to be true there is generally going to be a reason for it other than they are just plain nice folks. 

For me price tags have never been the main I reason I buy or turn my back on a guitar.  I certainly have gotten my share of killer deals which were generally on higher dollar "vintage" guitars which because of the local market would be tough to move.   But I have also paid what at the time was top dollar for a guitar which no amount of haggling was going to bring down.  I figure it all evens out in the wash.