Gibson Brands Forums

Asking for a friend

afishynado

I do have to give you guys credit.  I cannot think of another guitar forum where the discussion veer from a guitar to a personal finance expert.  At the same time, I find it far more entertaining and possibly even more relevant than endless discussions posted by those who have drank too long and deep of the Tone Wood Kool Aid.

On 12/21/2022 at 1:51 PM, afishynado said:

So a buddy asked me to help with this decision, to buy or not to buy. He found a gently used Gibson 250 Monarch. He has $50,000 in debt and makes 50k a year and has two kids in elementary school. Has 50k in his retirement fund. Is 10 years away from retirement. House payment and taxes and utilities are currently $1500 per month on an adjustable rate mortgage. Has 5k in personal savings and like 2k in checking. His wife doesn't work. He resides in the central U.S. It sounds like the seller would entertain an offer of 7k.

Should he buy it?

Sgt. Pepper will 

Just now, Larsongs said:
On 12/21/2022 at 1:51 PM, afishynado said:

So a buddy asked me to help with this decision, to buy or not to buy. He found a gently used Gibson 250 Monarch. He has $50,000 in debt and makes 50k a year and has two kids in elementary school. Has 50k in his retirement fund. Is 10 years away from retirement. House payment and taxes and utilities are currently $1500 per month on an adjustable rate mortgage. Has 5k in personal savings and like 2k in checking. His wife doesn't work. He resides in the central U.S. It sounds like the seller would entertain an offer of 7k.

Should he buy it?

Sgt. Pepper will 

Expand  

So is there any info about condition? Pics? COA? Etc? I know someone who might be interested if it checks out not to be BS…

I doubt selling this Guitar will turn the guy into a financial genius or solve his long term financial problems.. My advice to him is, don’t retire, tell your wife to get a job. You need to save for what you have left.. I wish them luck.