Gibson Brands Forums

2001 Gibson J-150

stokes

Going to check out a J-150 next week. Asking price is $1500. Dont see many for sale, in fact the only one I see on Reverb at the moment is one for sale in Spain, asking price there is 6K!! Are guitars that much higher in Europe? Or is that seller having delusions? Anyways, full story in my intro post, but I hadnt owned an acoustic since 1973, until a couple of years ago, was strictly an electric player since then. Searching the web, about the only info I can find on this is that they are reported to be a "no frills" version of the J 200. So I am here hoping to get any info/ opinions / experiences and insight  with this model. Any issues with this model that I should look out for? Is this a good price? Great deal? Or should I run away? Thanks in advance for any help.

If the guitar in question is the J-150 that was recently offered up on the AGF, it sounded like a contender to be put in "the one(s) that got away" pile. Sounded like a sincere owner who treated the guitar well. The J-150 is a fine super jumbo with the crown fret markers but with a lower level of bling that makes it more affordable than the '200. Gone are the days of being able to find a good J-45 Standard for similar cost, so if you're good with the large size, then it would be a go. Since the guitar has lived in the cold winters of upstate NY, you might want to bring a lighted inspection mirror to check for cracks/cleats, and to check the bridgeplate for wear. If the action seems excessively high, maybe a 24" straightedge laid on top of the frets to check the neck angle and where that straightedge contacts the bridge. 

Good luck, and report back. 

28 minutes ago, 62burst said:

If the guitar in question is the J-150 that was recently offered up on the AGF, it sounded like a contender to be put in "the one(s) that got away" pile.

Yep, thats the one. And thats exactly what prompted me to go from, "I'll be all over it if still available after the holidays" to "I'll take it". Didnt want to kick myself if it got away.Most people on the AGF seem to be sincere and on the up and up, I see a lot of very high end axes being bought and sold on that site. I did send him a deposit to hold it, he asked for $10 deposit, I sent him 100. Bracings and a neck reset are my big concerns, I can do most other type repairs, frets, neck relief, bridge and nut adjustments. In fact, I have never owned a guitar, new or used that I didnt do my own fret work on. If it looks like the neck needs to be reset, I'll pass, the bracings will be evaluated and may not be a deal breaker if there is any damage. I'll be driving out to see it next week.

I had a J-150 several years ago along with a J-200 at the same time. Honestly, I thought the J-150 played and sounded better than the J-200. Of course, YMMV. For that price, if everything checks ok, I say go for it....

2 hours ago, Joe M said:

I had a J-150 several years ago along with a J-200 at the same time. Honestly, I thought the J-150 played and sounded better than the J-200. Of course, YMMV. For that price, if everything checks ok, I say go for it....

I read that same thing on another web site when I was searching for info. I'm pretty much a lock on this one unless there is something major wrong.

I picked this guitar up today. Action is a little high for my tastes and theres a little too much relief. Theres a whole lot of bridge saddle to work with. Easy adjustments. It plays very well as is but I will tune it in to my liking. The neck set passed the straight edge check and the bracings are good. I was surprised and pleased with the depth this has, I expected the maple to thin it out some, but it really booms. Very little fret wear, but it has some very light wear in the first 3 frets, to be expected with its age, actually less than I might expect. I like to think I'll leave them alone for now, but I know me, I'll be grinding and polishing when I do the saddle adjust. I'm kinda obsessive when it comes to frets, I always run some 0000 steel wool or 1000 grit paper over them with every string change. Gotta say I'm very happy with it.

• Thanks 1

Well the hi action is apparently exactly how it left the factory 20 yrs ago. The "pre pack inspection" list shows it left the factory at 6/64ths at the 12th fret on the low E and 4/64ths at the hi E, exactly what it measures now. I am going to remove the piezo and see how much that takes it down, the one that was in my Breedlove was pretty thick, removing it was a significant improvement in the action on that guitar.

Took out the piezo, it took it down to about 3/64ths with just the low E strung on the guitar. With the one string on the relief looked to be about the same. I'm gonna polish up the frets and oil the board and put new strings on later tonite.

6 hours ago, Jalex said:

Nice deal on that one. I would have been interested myself but the seller wasn't keen on shipping.  Enjoy your new guitar.

Yeah, I cant blame him, I wouldnt do shipping in a private sale. I had GC ship me a used axe, it came damaged and I had no problem with a replacement from them. With a private sale like this it might not be so easy. I had to drive about 3+ hrs to get this, but it was well worth it.