Gibson Brands Forums

What is hide glue construction?

gibsonles paul

Just as it says... They use hide glue which is very traditional instead of the more modern white wood glues..

The good thing about hide glue is its easy to heat up and remove... PVA wood glue as its called (titebond) is much harder to remove say a neck joint.. 

Some say that hide glue makes for better contact and more sustain and stuff like that.. But really its more of a nod to the traditional ways and what they use on customs and stuff to get them more close to the original specs of the 50s guitars they made.

Hide glue also stinks when heated (and you have to heat it first to use it).. Its literally melted animal fat.

Edited by Rabs
  • Thanks 1

Hyde glue. Acoustics. ( neck and bridge). 
electric.  ( neck). 

just about every guitar is glued that way.   Problem is. Most like Martin ,Gibson and what other builders. Seem to stretch the stuff out to maximize  the product.   There fore not enough on the guitars to keep them together

Edited by slimt

2 hours ago, slimt said:

Hyde glue. Acoustics. ( neck and bridge). 
electric.  ( neck). 

just about every guitar is glued that way.   Problem is. Most like Martin ,Gibson and what other builders. Seem to stretch the stuff out to maximize  the product.   There fore not enough on the guitars to keep them together

No

21 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Vegans would never buy a guitar put together with hide glue. Or one with a bone nut. 

Its against the law on Vega.

So no vegans have $300 leather Air Jordans?

Don't vegans know Asparagus screams when it is ripped out of the ground. Its at a audible frequency only dogs and other Asparagus can hear though.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 12/31/2022 at 6:13 PM, Rabs said:

And happy new year to you and everyone too..

Yes.. How could I forget that video  😄

That always makes me laugh. Does anyone know where the cartoon about Dumble amps is on the net. It totally pokes fun at us guitar cork sniffers. I can't find it anywhere if anyone know what cartoon I am talking about.

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So no vegans have $300 leather Air Jordans?

Don't vegans know Asparagus screams when it is ripped out of the ground. Its at a audible frequency only dogs and other Asparagus can hear though.

I can't remember where, but I remember reading somewhere that all plant life "screams" in a way when picked of trimmed.  I just wish I could remember where I read that and who wrote the article in which I read it. 

And I don't see what vegans would have against cigarettes or cigars since essentially they too are "plant based".  [wink]

Whitefang

11 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I can't remember where, but I remember reading somewhere that all plant life "screams" in a way when picked of trimmed.  I just wish I could remember where I read that and who wrote the article in which I read it. 

And I don't see what vegans would have against cigarettes or cigars since essentially they too are "plant based".  [wink]

Whitefang

Weed too. Heroin and Coc come from plants too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That always makes me laugh. Does anyone know where the cartoon about Dumble amps is on the net. It totally pokes fun at us guitar cork sniffers. I can't find it anywhere if anyone know what cartoon I am talking about.

Tag knows tone?