Gibson Brands Forums

Help

adamH

I am thinking of cancelling my order because of the lack of info from Gibson and them not even bothering to update the DF newsletter. They put that up in January- about 4 months ago, which isn't good enough.

Anyway, any suggestions on what I could get instead of DF but which is like it?

Thanks

adamH

Hi AdamH,

You could try a 2008 LP standard I have one of those and it is a beautiful instrument, the chambered body realy lets it ring out. Of course you get a lot of upgrades as standard with this guitar, i.e Tone Pros Bridge, locking Tuners, PLEK setup, Gold plated Pots and a Neutrik locking jack socket.

I originally wanted the DF for it's chameleon tones looking for an instrument that could pull off a convincing acoustic tone live but all the demo's I have listened to show the DF to be no more capable in this area than any other piezo equipped guitar. I do however think that once the RIP is sorted the DF will take some beating as a recording tool.

Finally I got a Roland VG99 to go with my LP and have found what I was looking for all along, very convincing acoustic sounds and the ability to switch over to the stock LP pickups going straight to my Mesa instantly!!

Hope that helps, you obviously have a lot more patience that me as I cancelled my DF in January and from what I read on this forum it was the right choice for me. My estimate on DF in UK - not until at least July and quite possibly later (No evidence to back this just a hunch).

If your looking to blend in some accoustic sound, like with the DF piezo, take a look at an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. The DF piezo gives you six pickups (one for each string), while the Ultra II gives you the one wide spectrum nano-mag that sounds great. You can always add similar outboard electronics to what comes with the DF. There are a couple of demo videos floating around out there (links below). It's impressive. Too bad Gibson doesn't offer the tech in a Lester, but check it out.

Archived