Gibson Brands Forums

Don't play guitar with cheap jeans

gibsonles paul

Don't Play Guitar WIth Cheap Jeans needs to be a country song. I'm shocked the dye on jeans from China bleed onto the nitro and binding, shocked I say again.

Sad thing is you may never be able to polish or buff it out.

I have a few small cloudy spots on the back of my Martins in certain spots. I've polished it and it seems to be there for ever. Such is the saga of a nitro sprayed guitar. Its on the back and I don't usually play it there, so life will go on.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, gibsonles paul said:

Would you recommend using super light grit sandpaper then using one of Stewmac's lacquer markers to fix it? 

Sanding, no I would not. One of the lacquer markers, I would think is just going to put a coat of clear stuff over the stain. Cause its probably and I use the term loosely, burned into the lacquer. Nitro is bad stuff, but guitar players want and gotta have it to be - ICONIC.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, gibsonles paul said:

So I was playing my les paul traditional with some cheap walmart jeans, and the dye from the jeans rubbed into the laquer on the binding in less than 10 minutes of playing.🤦‍♂️Does anybody know a way to sort of make it look better?

If you can't simply live with the discolouration, I would suggest you not monkey around trying to get it out yourself, but rather take the guitar to a reputable Luthier and seek their advice.

If you don't have the skills, you might simply make the problem worse by trying to correct it yourself.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

35 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Breath on one wrong and the nitro get damaged.

Yup. 

Funny how it seems to just be the more expensive models. You can pour beer on a run-of-the-mill V and wipe it off the next day and it's fine. YMMV and all that... 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  Martin doesn't use nitro or have issues with bindings.

They do use nitro, and I stated I have a few small haze spots on the backs of my guitars, but never have I had the dye on my pants bleed into the binding or finish. I just check my binding is still on. I was worried.

Guy comes to Gibson Forum cause his jeans reacted with the oh so sensitive nitro Gibson uses. And of course we need to start bashing Martin due to it. Laughable.

People come here who own Gibsons, and complain about them I really don’t need to, but I like stirring, just like you do too .

Just like you told me in that one post - Great Deflection.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  Martin doesn't use nitro or have issues with bindings.

fyp.,

Please!  I beg of you.

Let's not jump onto this merry-go-round again.

It is a shouting match that serves no purpose, and once started, never gets resolved, or ends.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1

Now hang on there Bubba Lou,  there's opportunity here.

Gibson nitro safe jeans!!! Why haven't they thought of this already?   literally asleep at the wheel me thinks!  the could probably sell em for $299..  put a gibson logo tag on the back

Dam! brilliant!

truth be told,  I have some of them and yea, they are Wrangler knock offs, and I've never noticed any bleed out tho, but I only wear acid washed ones,  it's a rule of mine..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Now hang on there Bubba Lou,  there's opportunity here.

Gibson nitro safe jeans!!! Why haven't they thought of this already?   literally asleep at the wheel me thinks!  the could probably sell em for $299..  put a gibson logo tag on the back

Dam! brilliant!

truth be told,  I have some of them and yea, they are Wrangler knock offs, and I've never noticed any bleed out tho, but I only wear acid washed ones,  it's a rule of mine..

You just  messed up as JC is probably doing that right now. As the old CEO of Levi's it a  no brainer for him, but will they be made in China like Levi's? You guys know denim is really white and dyed blue right?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rct said:

Played an awful lot of nights in the 70's in Cheap Jeans, never a problem.  Or Calvins.

rct

Any shots of you rocking a Les Paul while bending over in a seductive way wearing Calvin’s? If in Jordache Jeans my head might explode.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Any shots of you rocking a Les Paul while bending over in a seductive way wearing Calvin’s? If in Jordache Jeans my head might explode.

Oh sure, there's some here and my brother has all the pictures my mother had.  Jordache too.  Jeans were a big deal then, I guess they still are.  Calvins were my favorites.  Cheap Jeans were good too.

rct