Gibson Brands Forums

Picks and tone

northcntryblues

It's been discussed here before but I continue to be amazed at how significant a role the choice of pick can have in a guitar's tone.  

After many years of primarily fingerpicking, the flatpicks I'd been using were Dunlop standard nylon .73, which I found very comfortable, but I didn't dig the tone from the soft nylon.  Kind of muted, muffled almost.

There is a tone I associate  with Gibson flattops that I don't really know how to describe  other than its what I hear from the strummed chords at the beginning of The Beatles 'A Day in the Life' - just a certain chiming quality that is like no other.  It's on a bunch of early Dylan too.

I picked up some thicker gauge , harder Herco 'Holy Grail' nylon picks after reading some reviews...and...there it was, from my L-00  - that unmistakable Gibson chime.  Needless to say I'm thrilled to hear it from my guitar 10 years after purchasing it!

Edited by northcntryblues

Many picks will give you that tone.  Much of it's in your attack and style. 

We all accept that this is a bottomless topic, and we dive in gladly.   Just like strings, dif picks for dif guitars, for dif songs...  I'm still experimenting.
64cTs5V.jpg

17 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Many picks will give you that tone.  Much of it's in your attack and style. 

We all accept that this is a bottomless topic, and we dive in gladly.   Just like strings, dif picks for dif guitars, for dif songs...  I'm still experimenting.
64cTs5V.jpg

Red Bear are nice picks but too thick for me. I had a few. I think they are made of Casein, which is made from dairy protein.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yeah, I begged them to make me a .88, but their minimum is 1, so I sanded, shaped and buffed 'em out to my liking.  I like the .88 Dunlop Primetones,  Ultex .73 and .90's too.

I'm no vegan.

Edited by jedzep

I have always been a fingerpicker so have nuttin' to say regarding flatpicks.  I have found, however, that certain of my Gibsons (and others) respond better to being played with fingerpicks than they do to being played with bare flesh.  Has nothing to do with tone though.  To my ears it is all about the difference in the amount of attack you hear.  So obviously the amount of attack you hear will vary based on pick thickness and material.  When I use fingerpicks (which admittedly is as little as possible) I will go with both plastic and metal at times mixing them up.  I tend to go thicker with the thumbpick and lighter with the others.  While I have used Delrin thumbpicks the fingerpicks leave me cold. 

Edited by zombywoof

6 hours ago, jedzep said:

Yeah, I begged them to make me a .88, but their minimum is 1, so I sanded, shaped and buffed 'em out to my liking.  I like the .88 Dunlop Primetones,  Ultex .73 and .90's too.

I'm no vegan.

When I got my Blue Chips I asked them for the thinnest ones they have. Usually the thinnest you see if 40's. You have to ask for 35's. That is the thinnest they go. Its about a .9mm. Primetone are nice to and don't break the bank.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper