Gibson Brands Forums

Incoming!!! (1978 Norlin)

duane v

I've been wanting one of these forever and finding a black one with a rosewood fingerboard with everything working has been tough. But I found this sucker for $850. A good buffing should brighten the ol girl up.

Depending how the frets looks and feel that may be the only upgrade. And I will do that myself.

ls6.jpg

• Thanks 1

The one feature I didn't notice and why I didn't is the plank has 24 frets.... That's pretty bad that I didn't notice this detail until I played the thing.

The geetar has a wide array of tones and I'm pretty impressed with the pickups.

It is a heavy sucker and no neck dive.

10 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Looks like GC let another one slip under the radar - Congrats ! 

They let a lot of guitars go under evaluated. As an example guitars that go for $1400 on eBay and Reverb are typically $200-$400 less at GC. 

9 hours ago, duane v said:

AHHHHH.... I just noticed a crack on the fretboard!!!! From the 16th to the 24th fret..... Looks like I'm gonna have to order some ebony wood filler and mix it with wood glue. DAMN!!!

Got a belt sander? Got an old ebony bridge or a violin tailpiece? Make your own dust. I brush off the belt first, then hold the crap wood onto the belt with one hand and hold a clean sheet of paper at the other end to catch it. Clean the crack with some lacquer thinner, pack the dust in there, add a drop of super glue, repeat if necessary, then file and sand it smooth.

Always pack the dust in the first and add the glue. It doesn't work as well the other way around.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Got a belt sander? Got an old ebony bridge or a violin tailpiece? Make your own dust. I brush off the belt first, then hold the crap wood onto the belt with one hand and hold a clean sheet of paper at the other end to catch it. Clean the crack with some lacquer thinner, pack the dust in there, add a drop of super glue, repeat if necessary, then file and sand it smooth.

Always pack the dust in the first and add the glue. It doesn't work as well the other way around.

I do that on fancy knife handles. Using a scrap of wood off the original.  I use epoxy though. Works great - even w bone. 

Lol and all you have to do is grind a little off the handle and she can have it back!

One more thing (devil's in the details): Give the super glue 24 hours. It is misleading how it seems to solidify quickly. It ain't solid. It'll file and sand a lot better the next day.

Fortyearspickin you are absolutely right to use epoxy as long as you can work it into the crack. I repaired a Gibson Firebrand LP with an ebony board. The nut had been pried off and it tore a chunk of the fretboard off. About 30% of the area between the nut and first fret was splintered off and the pieces were gone. I mixed ebony dust and epoxy, (heavy on the dust so it was super grainy and horrifically thick). I dammed it off at the nut. Lots of filing afterwards but it was pretty much invisible.

• Like 1

I had a 1974 L6-S Deluxe about 20 years ago. Bought it on ebay for $285. It needed a nut and the pickguard was made from aluminum. Also the vol/tone knobs were wrong. I made a bone nut for it, procured the correct knobs on ebay, and ordered a custom guard from dasbootguy (remember him?). I thought what the world needed was a black L6S with a white guard. 

Sold it a few years later. Last time I saw it, it was for sale in Florida with new frets.

EDZ65VE.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

I had a 1974 L6-S Deluxe about 20 years ago. Bought it on ebay for $285. It needed a nut and the pickguard was made from aluminum. Also the vol/tone knobs were wrong. I made a bone nut for it, procured the correct knobs on ebay, and ordered a custom guard from dasbootguy (remember him?). I thought what the world needed was a black L6S with a white guard. 

Sold it a few years later. Last time I saw it, it was for sale in Florida with new frets.

EDZ65VE.jpg

nice !