Gibson Brands Forums

Why are the volume knobs so low on this Les Paul Custom guitar?

maruaderguy

Dear Forum,

I noticed that the placement of the top two (volume) knobs are lower down on the body on John Cafferty's guitar compared to other late 70s Les Paul customs I have seen.  The inside one is almost below the tail piece  and the outside knob is barely half way above  the tail piece.  (see b/w photo)  

Are the top knobs moved down to be closer together to the lower tone knobs, or are all four moved down?  Or is the tail piece moved up?

If the knobs are moved down the whole cavity would have to be moved down on the back of the body to allow this? They must be almost a half inch lower than normal.

I would like to get one like this, but I am not seeing any for sale that have the knobs liked up like that.

892815_605160276163025_1441869373_o.png?
Compare to this one:
dmc2fsd8d7oozlcuyydi.jpg
JOHN-CAFFERTY-PINUP1.jpg

Edited by maruaderguy

• maruaderguy changed the title to Why are the volume knobs so low on this Les Paul Custom guitar?

The volume knobs are lower on the top guitar.  Compare the placement to the tailpiece.  One is lower than the tail piece, the other guitar the volume knob is right next to it.  So it seems the knob placement can be different from guitar to guitar.

Compare these two:

kl6pzv6opaebzqyjod6z.jpgbcx0qyemgx0xgwlxodqt.jpg

Edited by maruaderguy

1 hour ago, maruaderguy said:

The volume knobs are lower on the top guitar.  Compare the placement to the tailpiece.  One is lower than the tail piece, the other guitar the volume knob is right next to it.  So it seems the knob placement can be different from guitar to guitar.

Compare these two:

bcx0qyemgx0xgwlxodqt.jpg

That is because this one looks like its not a Gibson....   On actual Gibsons they are always in the same place.. OR it could be a 70s model. They did some really weird things in the 70s.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, maruaderguy said:

Compare these two:

kl6pzv6opaebzqyjod6z.jpgbcx0qyemgx0xgwlxodqt.jpg

The second LP pic I think is a fake.