Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 1953 J50

G Man

My first true vintage guitar.  Been on the hunt for a bit and had a hard time justifying the cash oof the current market prices, but found this one on Reverb w/an old headstock repair that looks solid and allowed for a price I could work with.  The rest of the guitar is in great shape for a 70 year old box with no obvious cracks or loose braces.   I'm guessing the bridge has been replaced based on its saddle, but if so, it was done a long time ago and done well.  Original frets are low and fast, action is great and it has that powerful, punchy sweet dry tone that we look for in these.  Nice full neck but not too beefy, very comfortable.  I'm super happy with it and glad I took a chance on getting it without playing it first.  I polished the frets with gorgomyte, added a fresh set of Martin Monel lights and added a bit of relief.  Check out the wide even grain on the soudboard, really nice.

17OnKLs.jpgufJoRfo.jpgvQhPnwm.jpgSO9groh.png

PLkCRA3.png7msRUrc.png

• Like 1

That looks really, really nice. 

Pretty sure sometime in 1953 was the first year they used the drop-in rather than slot-through saddle, so there is no obvious reason to think that isn't the original bridge.

I love late-40s and early-50s slope-J models. I have two 1950 J-45s, and one of those is my absolute favorite, and I play it almost every day.

Ironically, a J-50 from this period is often cheaper than a  J-45, despite the fact that the J-50 originally cost more.

In any case, congrats on the new guitar.

Congrats and Cool!  1953 was the year Gibson completed revamping their entire line of flattops.  The flattops across the board became heavier built while old features such as the tapered headstock, side braces and the slot thru saddle bridge mentioned above disappeared.  My first Gibsons were built in the 1950s.  The reason was pretty simple.  Back then they were still considered just "used" guitars so could be had for not a lot of cash.  I always felt these guitars had a magic to them.  I have not owned one in quite a few years now though.  But that is OK as I do play a 1942 J50.

Edited by zombywoof

Great info guys, thanks for the lesson.  In that case I would say, other than the headstock break, its in remarkably good condition.  Looks like maybe some braces were re-glued at some point, but mostly clean inside, and now I can say original bridge and bridge plate. Still has the screws in it.  I believe the frets to original, and I may want to re-fret it at some point, but don't know if that would be sacrilege or not. 

I have a 53 J-45 -- pretty much the same guitar.  Mine has had some work, but it is basically all their.

7Kj2HY9.jpg

pSuAsXt.jpg

3nwKITb.jpg

94KBNWt.jpg

It is a cool, useful guitar.  Here it is in a practice session with my daughter in Texas.  Pretty rough.

Congratulations -- should ne a fine old guitar.

Best,

-Tom

And yet, here is a 1954 J-45 with the thru-saddle design that supposedly disappeared in 1953:
1674771083737454GibsonJ45-0123-br2.jpg

I tend to be a little less dogmatic about these features, but I tend to think saddle-thru for most if not many 1953s, and -- as seen in the photo -- into 1954.  For 1952 and earlier, I would be far more inclined to consider a drop-in saddle bridge as modified or replaced.

Fred

6 hours ago, J-1854Me said:

And yet, here is a 1954 J-45 with the thru-saddle design that supposedly disappeared in 1953:
1674771083737454GibsonJ45-0123-br2.jpg

I tend to be a little less dogmatic about these features, but I tend to think saddle-thru for most if not many 1953s, and -- as seen in the photo -- into 1954.  For 1952 and earlier, I would be far more inclined to consider a drop-in saddle bridge as modified or replaced.

Fred

It's not like features changed on the first of January of any year. I doubt if Gibson thought of them like automobiles, where you have "model years".  Existing component stock such as bridges, tuners, pickguards, was probably replaced by newer versions as old stock was used up. It is not uncommon to see a mix of features and characteristics  on Gibsons   in this period, and in other periods.

I'm assuming this J-50 has been identified as a 1953 by a Y or Z prefix serial number (seems to be some overlap here, by some sources).

If you look at any transition period at Gibson, there is going to be a mish mash of features for a bit.  If nothing else Gibson was a pragmatic and conservative company which would not discontinue this or that part until the old supply was used up.  During the early-1950s the real change had less to do with any new specs called for by the Chief Engineer as the company's approach to building guitars.  Between 1950 and 1953 the factory was enlarged and re-tooled with the workforce re-organized.  Essentially it was the birth of the modern Gibson Guitar Co.  

Boy howdy, let me tell you, this guitar has me ready to sell off most of my modern guitars and buy another vintage piece.  The tone has a depth and liveliness to it that I don't think you can find in a modern guitar.  A truly intoxicating guitar to play.