Gibson Brands Forums

Side Bracing on Solid Wood Models?

Lymeyboy

Hi All, 

Just wondering if anyone can answer a question. Every solid wood acoustic I've ever owned had braces on the sides (inside the guitar, of course) for support and to prevent splits. 

My Advanced Jumbo is solid rosewood but there are no side braces visible if you look inside the sound-hole. This is my first Gibson so I don't know if this is normal - does anyone know? 

Thanks.

Gibson ended the practice of installing side braces sometime between 1951 and 1953 with the exception of as far as I know the J200 and the CF100.  It is my understanding that the original reason for the braces was to keep the sides from splitting under the pressure of having the top and back attached.

Edited by zombywoof

Just now, zombywoof said:

Gibson ended the practice of installing side braces sometime between 1951 and 1953 with two notable exceptions which were the J200 and the CF100.  It is my understanding that the original reason for the braces was to keep the sides from splitting under the pressure of having the top and back attached.

That’s just the kind of info I was looking for zombywoof. Thank you very much. I’m new to Gibson ownership and just don’t know much of this stuff. As a lifelong acoustic guitar fanatic and builder myself it means a lot to know the details. 👍🏻

26 minutes ago, Lymeyboy said:

That’s just the kind of info I was looking for zombywoof. Thank you very much. I’m new to Gibson ownership and just don’t know much of this stuff. As a lifelong acoustic guitar fanatic and builder myself it means a lot to know the details. 👍🏻

By the way my wife's 1960 J200 which has a laminate maple body has wood side braces.  So obviously it was not just found in guitars with a solid wood back and rim but probably had more to do with the price tag of the instrument.

Edited by zombywoof

22 minutes ago, Dave F said:

There are some newer Historic models where they added the fabric side supports.

My '42 J50 has wood side supports (like my wife's J200) while my '32 L1 has light colored off whitish fabric supports.  My '46 LG2 had blue fabric side braces but I do not recall what those in my '57 CF100 were only that they were there.

9 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I forgot but just looked to make sure and my carved top and back plate 1920 L3 archtop also has wood side braces.  No back braces though,

It looks like it's pretty random zombywoof. My AJ 1930's Ltd Ed is a 2012 model. I would prefer it to have side supports of some kind as the B+S are Madagascar Rosewood and I'd hate them to split either through natural wood movement or it the guitar took a knock. I've built a few guitars and have contemplated fitting some to the AJ myself, but then thought that perhaps I was just being a bit too neurotic! 😅 Also, I don't know what type I'd fit, wood or fabric, to keep it authentic. Thanks again for your input. 

9 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I forgot but just looked to make sure and my carved top and back plate 1920 L3 archtop also has wood side braces.  No back braces though,

I've just noticed your thread from Feb 2012 regarding fabric side supports. You posted a pic of your LG-2 but it's no longer available to view.