Gibson Brands Forums

Do you ever just have an 'off' night?

Gilliangirl

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy guitar playing. I spent about an hour warming up doing scales, which went okay, but now I'm forgetting chords to songs I've known for years, missing bass notes, sloppy fingering is muting in-between strings, etc. I could blame it on a sore wrist (maybe a bit weaker than usual), but even before I hurt my wrist I would sometimes just have an 'off' session. Rather than beat myself up, I'm putting the guitar away and calling it a night on the playing.

Anyone else have times like these?

If you play a guitar, you're bound to have days like that! Sometimes the days can turn into weeks it seems like! I have run into brick walls that have lasted for months. But when you finally get over 'em, man, it's all worth it!!!

If you are tired or your brain is taxed from a long day or other stresses, you don't get into the right space mentally to make good playing possible.

I meditate for ten minutes before I play. For me, that makes a big difference.

Most definitely' date=' Karen. I have "off" nights from time to time. I typically call it quits pretty quick those nights. But I also have "on" nights. Then I'll stay up very, very late.

[/quote']

I am with the Dog on this one.... I still play on those nights until I can't even stand to listen to myself anymore... (wife, kids and cat have long given up on me by then)... other nights I am in my own little world and I truly am the guy that taught Mr. Clapton that great riff..... :) Mornings come way too early on the next day after those kind of nights.

Plenty of times. Hundreds over the last 16 years of playing...as I said in a previous post, some nights I am a singer who pretends to be a guitarist, other nights I am a guitarist who pretends to be a singer! Thankfully more often than not I manage to just about pull both off :-)

Last Sat. was Easter eve. My whole Band had an off "set". Thank God it stopped there.

Set up, expecting a slow night because it was "Easter eve.", but just happened we're booked in a large room. Huge. We'd packed if before, but it was "Easter eve."

Kicked off the first song, I'm getting a huge buzz in my monitor. Worked through a few songs, complained, sure enough, it's in the mains too. Kicked off a song I sing and go to the mic and go..........

BRAINDEAD......... I've sang this song a million times and missed the first verse. Didn't have a clue. Drummer dropped a stick, ect., ect.

Hard to troubleshoot during the show, but narrowed it down to the bassplayers line out LoZ cord going to the board.

By the time the second set got there, and a few brewskys, we had it fixed and a pretty good crowd showed up late.

We kicked butt the rest of the night.

Glad they were late.

Yep. It happens........

Murph.

I've had plenty of off nights. For me the ones that stick out in memory are always the ones that occur on gig nights, when I can't just call it a night and watch tv. I've gotten a bit better at recovering from it over the past 5 years by learning to pay attention to things other than my playing. Watching the folks on the dance floor, watch the games on the pool tables..anything other than watching my fingers.

Definitely have off nights. if I think I'm just exhausted, I play a little while and then quit. If I'm not concentrating, I usually keep on playing, and eventually the music will sometimes take over whatever was distracting me. These nights sometimes turn out pretty well. Sometimes my hands are just stiff and the path from my brain to my hands seems to be short-circuited. Sometimes I work through that and have a good session. Other times I give up. I have found that pushing myself through these rough sessions often pays off with a really super night a day or two later. I can't prove the good night wouldn't have happened anyway, but I think playing as many nights as possible is critical to the really good sessions. I should add that I am referring to playing in my home, not to performing in public.

I have the same thing, only it happents to me in the mornings.

I love (but this is not happening every morning for a pitty) to wake me up and first thing - to get a guitar and to play and sing a song. In the best mornings I play&sing "Here comes the sun" with no mistake.

But not every time.

Some mornings, days, nights my hands are just like "standing on my way".

It obviously happents to most of the guitar players.

I particulary hate this phenomena when it occurs on the rare occasions when I must play&sing on stage before audience.

I have the same thing' date=' only it happents to me in the mornings.

I love (but this is not happening every morning for a pitty) to wake me up and first thing - to get a guitar and to play and sing a song. In the best mornings I play&sing "Here comes the sun" with no mistake.

But not every time.

Some mornings, days, nights my hands are just like "standing on my way".

It obviously happents to most of the guitar players.

I particulary hate this phenomena when it occurs on the rare occasions when I must play&sing on stage before audience. [/quote']

This generally happens when you're not warmed up properly physically. That's why your hands "stand in your way" in the morning. It is like your brain knows what to do but your hands don't. That's because playing involves "muscle memory". You learn to play without thinking because your physical movements are so familiar through practice that your hands "just go there". When you aren't warmed up physically or you are just physically disconnected, that physical muscle memory breaks down.

So if you're having "one of those nights".... you can do a two things:

1) Go to bed

2) Do a physical warm up - whatever gets your body wide awake and aware

Sometimes it's the stress of the day, sometimes it's what you've eaten or haven't eaten... It's a blood glucose thing, even for non-diabetics. Could be too much caffeine makin' you a bit jittery. I get that once in a while. Your wrist is on the mend, probably got a muscle or tendon that got lazy, not bein used or just being cranky about haven't to go back to work. Could be your brain is goin'g "What If I can't play again... then what do you know, you've forgotten the next chord."Could be just an 'off night'.

Having an off night? Better to put the baby down before you el-kabong her up agin the wall.

Archived