Gibson Brands Forums

Do you ever just have an 'off' night?

Gilliangirl

Yup, and it was not the first time and it will not be the last. Could not just pack up the guitar though - that would not have gone over real well. Just had to brass it out.

My theory is that I tend to suck when I think too much about what I am playing.

But there are also those nights which for some reason which I can't pinpoint I get into "the zone." On those nights, there is no real thinking that I can recall. But the feeling is unmistakable - just my hands doing stuff that seemed beyond what I thought I knew how to do. Kinda unconscious competence - just need to get your ego and your brain the heck out of the way.

I like the commonality of fingers-brain-guitar as the big problem. That IS the problem. When we are first learning chords (to get the danged fingers to go down on the strings and frets and then the brain to know it and play it). Later we seem to have master that but still the fingers have an independence about them. It is particularly frustrating when the sax player looks at you (all you see is eyes and the horn) and he means "take it" and the fingers say "take what? Forget that" and so you have to come up with a riff ... anything .. a few chords and some runs .. and the brain says "what? I don't do that NOW" .. somehow you get a few licks in and hen you look bug eyed at the flute or the bass -- anyone? When do the GOOD days start? When you just sit down and play like Herb Ellis for 1/2 hour

Well, Murph. It was my own fault. I'm the one who said, "Hey Mr. Spaceman, won't you please take me along; I won't do anything wrong!" r.m. Falling with and for that darn chestnut mare wasn't your smartest move either you know. I can still hear you hollering, "I'm gonna catch that horse, if I can." r.m. You just didn't stand a chance young fella.

Archived