Gibson Brands Forums

Arthritis?

Thought I’d mention this, because a few of us might be getting some hand pain when playing.  Anyway, I was free of arthritis in my hands and wrist until a year-and -a-half or so ago.  Then, it started showing-up all the time.  I could usually play through it, but it was there most of the time.  Had to really concentrate making chords and runs up the neck.  I’d take 4 Advil before I’d go to my Thursday coffeehouse gig…..ANYWAY, my son-in-law is a doctor at The V.A.   He told me to see if Krill Oil helped me.  Just over two weeks ago. I bought a bottle Mega Red Krill, and I’ll be damned.  Been taking them everyday.  Maybe it’s my imagination, but I swear, most of the pain is gone.  Maybe a few little aches at times, but NOTHING like it was.   Friday night I played for 2 1/2 hrs at a gig and I had no issues.  Anyway, thought I’d mention this.  It seems to be working for me.  It’s worth a try.

• Like 3

I suffered from migraine headaches. At least two a week and one a month that was so bad it would make me puke. I started taking Krill Oil for slight arthritis in my wrists and ankles and my migraines are practically gone. I get one minor a month. Krill Oil is a natural inflammatory. But, like you, I don't know if it actually works or if it's psychological.

• Thanks 1

Thanks....I think I'll try it.    I've said many times (whined?) here that the arthritis started in my left thumb...maybe 7-8 years ago.

it caused me to put down my guitar for maybe 6 months!

I couldn't stand it....so I started playing again but doing what you did....taking 3 Motrin + 1 Tylenol  before playing, (I wasn't gigging).

After awhile, I realized there were chords I simply couldn't play anymore, so I learned to compensate.

Over the years, the arthritis spread to my right thumb and right middle finger, (middle finger is the worst!), plus the middle finger on my left hand.

Doctor said, "Your hands are simply worn out!".

I use Voltaren on the backs of my hand....I have a prescription for the 1% stuff, but when I traveled in Europe, I bought 2%, and I get 3.5% from Mexico.

Hands are still holding up, (I'll be 74 in August), but I can feel it each time I play!

• Thanks 2

I don't have arthritis(knock wood).  My issues that prohibit my playing(besides lack of talent  [wink])  are painless but no less prohibiting.  But I've been a member of several of these type of forums for 24 years and have heard plenty of complaints about hand pain caused by arthritis or other issues.  And remedies that range from Advil, Aleve, Omega 3, and yes, Krill oil.  And there are those who swear by any of the aforementioned.   It boils down to whatever works for YOU is what's important, and not necessarily a solution for everybody.  Example....

My wife swore by Tylenol(acetaminophen) for everything from headaches, backaches, leg pain, whatever.  But it never did squat for me.  I might have well taken sugar pills.  In fact, the only help it offered me was in fever reduction.  But due to my being on coumadin I'm restricted from using Aspirin and ibuprofen(Advil, Motrin) or Naproxen(Aleve).  So the Krill oil suggestion is something I might want to keep in mind for future use.  Thanks for that info.

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

When I was 13 my brother & I were carrying a large Concrete Stair. About 80 lbs.. It started to slip & I tried to save it from dropping to the ground & shattering. I managed to cushion the shock & it didn’t shatter.. But, the cost to me was 8 smashed fingers on both hands.. I was in so much & thought how f’n stupid I was.. I couldn’t do anything with my hands for quite a while.. All my finger nails turned black & eventually fell off. I grew all new finger nails.. 

Somehow a few years later I started playing Guitar!

When I was 19 & in the Army an Acetylene Cylinder dropped on my left hand. My hand was crushed again.. I was afraid my smallest finger might have to be amputated as it was split down the middle.. They bandaged it with a Splint & it eventually healed but was stiff as the Splint.. Being in Vietnam I wasn’t playing any Guitar. But, wondered if I ever could play again..

The first thing I did when I got home was go buy a Guitar.. I struggled for quite awhile. I finally was able to play decent Rhythm Guitar.. Lots & lots of practice & got good enough to play in Bands.. Luckily I could sing & usually was the Lead Singer. So, I resigned myself to being Singer & Rhythm Guitar.. Which is what I’ve done most of my life.. I never got to become a great Lead Player but have resigned myself to my situation.. 

Now I’m older. Like most I’ve developed Arthritis over the years.. I’ve tried just about everything. The Krill didn’t work for me but it works for others.. I use Glucosamine Chondroitin & it helps..

I play & sing almost everyday it makes me happy.. There is always some pain but that’s life.. 

Moral to the story… Keep playing.. Find what works for you…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, we’ve got to keep playing!  Find the things that work for you.  Personally, I don’t think that Tumeric helps much, but if I quit taking it, I might notice a difference.  Maybe adding the Krill daily makes other supplements more effective.  ……Still, the best therapy is music.

36 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

When I was 13 my brother & I were carrying a large Concrete Stair. About 80 lbs.. It started to slip & I tried to save it from dropping to the ground & shattering. I managed to cushion the shock & it didn’t shatter.. But, the cost to me was 8 smashed fingers on both hands.. I was in so much & thought how f’n stupid I was.. I couldn’t do anything with my hands for quite a while.. All my finger nails turned black & eventually fell off. I grew all new finger nails.. 

Somehow a few years later I started playing Guitar!

When I was 19 & in the Army an Acetylene Cylinder dropped on my left hand. My hand was crushed again.. I was afraid my smallest finger might have to be amputated as it was split down the middle.. They bandaged it with a Splint & it eventually healed but was stiff as the Splint.. Being in Vietnam I wasn’t playing any Guitar. But, wondered if I ever could play again..

I never developed into a lead player either....but I can't blame smashing my fingers...I'm just lousy at it!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I never developed into a lead player either....but I can't blame smashing my fingers...I'm just lousy at it!

The only thing that keeps me from being a great player is my ability.    John Prine said that after Keith Richards and Marty Stewart gave him some picking lessons, they kind of laughed and told him to “just do it your way.”  Prine said his flaws and mistakes became his technique.

I take turmeric pills.   One a day, high strength.

I have Dupuytrens Contracture in my L hand  which  is pulling my 3rd finger into my palm.  I have managed to stop its progress by wearing a heavy-duty night splint made especially for people with this disease.  Can't remember if I posted pics before?  I also take extra mag - magnesium citrate - to help.  It's an inherited disease which is fairly common in people of Scottish/Norwegian descent like me.  I know 2 other musicians with it,  a drummer and a sax player.   If I hadn't found out about the night splint I would have had to stop playing by now.   Like others I have had to adjust my approach to playing.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

I have Dupuytrens Contracture in my L hand  which  is pulling my 3rd finger into my palm.  I have managed to stop its progress by wearing a heavy-duty night splint made expecially for people with this disease.  Can't remember if I posted pics before?  I also take extra mag - magnesium citrate - to help.  It's an inherited disease which is fairly common in people of Scottish/Norwegian descent like me.  I know 2 other musicians with it,  a drummer and a sax player.   If I hadn't found out about the night splint I would have had to stop playing by now.   Like others I have had to adjust my approach to playing.

I’m glad you’ve made the necessary adjustments to keep playing.  When we have a passion for something, we need to find ways to keep it going.,  Playing music isn’t just something I enjoy.  It’s become a necessity.  It’s my safe space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

I’m glad you’ve made the necessary adjustments to keep playing.  When we have a passion for something, we need to find ways to keep it going.,  Playing music isn’t just something I enjoy.  It’s become a necessity.  It’s my safe space.

Perfectly expressed. 

ditto.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I may not have been a great Lead player either… LOL! 

Which is what I like about Blues.  B.B. proved you don't need to play 500 notes in 10 seconds to get your point across.  B.B. manages to say lots more in 5 notes than others do in 50.  Remembering that blues is more of a feeling than a "style" helps keep focus. 

22 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

The only thing that keeps me from being a great player is my ability.    John Prine said that after Keith Richards and Marty Stewart gave him some picking lessons, they kind of laughed and told him to “just do it your way.”  Prine said his flaws and mistakes became his technique.

I'm betting there are more here that can make that claim than not.

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

I have Dupuytrens Contracture in my L hand  which  is pulling my 3rd finger into my palm. 

There's been a lot of TV commercials centered on that lately.   Mostly for some big pharma product that's supposed to help with it non surgically.  Looks like a terrible thing to have to deal with.  Especially for a musician whose fingers are widely used for their trade.  I'm glad to learn you've found a way to deal with it and keep moving forward.

Whitefang

• Like 1

I'm 64 and developed arthritis in my fingers about 20 years ago. Someone suggested Glucosamine Chondroitin and I started taking it. It took about three weeks before it started working and I've been taking two triple strength a day for the last 20 years or so. It keeps the stiffness at bay. But if I miss a dose my fingers get stiff for a day or two. This convinced me that it does work. I also take fish oil and turmeric as part of my daily supplement regimen. Not sure if these are helping as well but I'm taking them for brain health. Dementia and Alzheimer's runs in the family and after seeing what it did to my mother, grandmother, aunts and uncles, I want to do all I can to not go down that path. The strange thing is I have no other arthritis issues on other body parts, but I don't know if 20 years of Glucosamine have kept it tamped down or not.

I'm thinking of trying the krill oil as it also supposedly gets absorbed by the body better than fish oil and gets the DHA to the brain more effectively. Thanks to Missouri Picker for starting this informative thread and to Gearbasher for mentioning the migraines. My wife has migraines that cause stomach seizures that totally incapacitate her for days at a time. She currently takes a once a month shots to keep them away at $700 a shot. I mentioned the krill and she is pumped to try it so I guess we'll both give it a go.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

I have Dupuytrens Contracture in my L hand  which  is pulling my 3rd finger into my palm.  I have managed to stop its progress by wearing a heavy-duty night splint made especially for people with this disease.  Can't remember if I posted pics before?  I also take extra mag - magnesium citrate - to help.  It's an inherited disease which is fairly common in people of Scottish/Norwegian descent like me.  I know 2 other musicians with it,  a drummer and a sax player.   If I hadn't found out about the night splint I would have had to stop playing by now.   Like others I have had to adjust my approach to playing.

Glad you caught it when you did.... I never imagined I'd still be playing at my age.

My best friend got diabetes..... eventually caused him to go 100% blind, and lost the feeling in his hands and feet.

I asked him once if being blind was a total bummer....he said, yeah...but the worst thing is not being able to play guitar anymore!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Growing old is not for sissies!  You’ve got to be a tough S.O.B.   When we were teenagers, we couldn’t see ourselves at 30.  It was a long ways off.  Then, all of a sudden we’re way beyond 30…….The 60’s arrive quickly and leave in the blink of an eye……All of a sudden the 70’s are here and flying by………. We’ve got to make a real effort to keep ourselves healthy.  There is still lots of music to be made.

• Like 3

Rock on brothers, in whatever way works, whatever way keeps you going.

I find a tad too much sparkling wine and a cheap cigar keep me reasonably pain-free/controlled.  I hope I never need more than that.

rct

• Like 2

Funny you bring this up but I went through a month stretch where I I wore a wrist brace on my right hand for a month and had to stop playing bass for about two weeks.

I explained to the doctor I had started playing bass left handed back in April and had been practicing 2 hours a day at least. Basically he prescribed a brace and a weeks worth of physical therapy and now I'm fine. Turned out it was a hypertension of the tendon. 

• Like 1