Gibson Brands Forums

Arthritis?

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Have to admire that.  No matter how hard I've tried, or whichever suggested method I'd try I never could grill worth a sh!t.  And I've tried both charcoal and  gas.

I was gifted this Traeger Ironwood 650 when I retired. It's a wood pellet smoker and it's idiot proof. I've always been pretty good, but you can fill this with mesquite, my favorite pellets, set the temp to 220 and in 6/7 hours ribs, pork shoulder, turkey, chickens, and even brisket is pretty near perfect. There is some prep and seasoning tricks, and brisket takes a little longer, chicken and turkey not so long and you have to monitor the meat temps more but I love this thing.

They're not cheap and I would have never bought one, but if this one dies, I will.

3 people ate 2 killer meals on those spare ribs that cost $25.00 at Sams.

Edited by Murph

15 hours ago, Murph said:

Anytime brother. Bring your plumbing pants.

Wait......

When I was a kid, we had an uncle.... a bit overweight.... wore his pants low and his shirt untucked...so his....um.....er.....ah...."Male Cleavage" was always showing.    So, still today, any member of my family recognizes IMMEDIATELY what we mean when someone says "His Clifford is showing!"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

When I was a kid, we had an uncle.... a bit overweight.... wore his pants low and his shirt untucked...so his....um.....er.....ah...."Male Cleavage" was always showing.    So, still today, any member of my family recognizes IMMEDIATELY what we mean when someone says "His Clifford is showing!"

Yep, not attractive by any means. But then I've seen the opposite sex do the same and that wasn't bad!Lol. 

• Haha 1

I get a double wammy on arthritis. Hereditary from my parants and from all the chemo drugs they pumped in me. My chemotherapist told my that I would get early Arthritis from what they did to me. The left thumb is so sore, I can hardly push against the guitar neck. 

• Like 1

My mother-in-law got relief from PEMFT.

Pulsed ElectroMagnet Field Therapy.

The PEMFT machine needs to emit a square wave, north polarity and the highest strength you can find. The pulsed field loosens the calcium build up, and immediately after you are supposed to drink a lot of water to flush it out while it was still dislodged.

After her therapy insurance ran out, we bought her a home unit.

Thankfully, the diet worked for me.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Continuing from my previous posts in this thread.....

By May 1st I realised (after not getting any  better at all for 4 months) that something was causing inflammation and the crippling, agonizing leg/joint pain, so I stopped taking everything except (as needed) painkillers.  Stopped blood thinners (Edoxoban) and statins, as well as turmeric and multivitamin supplements.

Bingo.  Started to improve within a couple of days.  Last weekend I decided to at least go back on the turmeric pills; I took one Friday, one on Saturday and by that evening my leg had very bad joint pain again.  No idea how or why but the turmeric was definitely causing it, so I stopped.    I'm just so glad I can actually WALK now.

Had a phone consultation with the doctor (getting a doctors appointment in the UK is as difficult as getting a job interview these days) who didn't think the pills are causing it but told me my blood tests, chest x-ray etc had come back normal;  'normal' is very good news at my age. [wink]

The info leaflet in every pack of the blood thinner states that 1 in 1000 people get internal swelling or bruising, so that's me.  I'm pretty sure that was what was causing my ribs to NOT heal at all for 4 months.

Getting some energy and motivation/positivity back in the last week or 2.   [thumbup]

Best wishes to all!

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Just goes to show ya, doctors don't know everything, mechanics screw up, and guitar forums are a great place for medical advice......

Many times mechanics just prolong the misery...and to be a mechanic today working on newer stuff you have to be a computer wiz and work with your hands.... most youngins are one or the other....and for doctors...there's a reason they call it "practicing" medicine!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 1:16 PM, Notes_Norton said:

My mother-in-law got relief from PEMFT.

Pulsed ElectroMagnet Field Therapy.

The PEMFT machine needs to emit a square wave, north polarity and the highest strength you can find. The pulsed field loosens the calcium build up, and immediately after you are supposed to drink a lot of water to flush it out while it was still dislodged.

After her therapy insurance ran out, we bought her a home unit.

Thankfully, the diet worked for me.

Notes ♫

Indeed my diet should be better. I remember you telling about that diet. I improved some but still hang on to some foods at 70 now. I went back to my Blessed Natures Concentrated cherry juice. Didn't know if it worked or not? I also used Emu Spray and Voltaren arthritis pain rub. On my finger tips, thumb, knuckles, elbow. toes. Deb asked me today, does the Cherry Juice help? I said, "I don't know? I don't feel any pain!" Just drinking another bottle of water with some cherry juice in it. It is expensive though. 

9 hours ago, Retired said:

Indeed my diet should be better. I remember you telling about that diet. I improved some but still hang on to some foods at 70 now. I went back to my Blessed Natures Concentrated cherry juice. Didn't know if it worked or not? I also used Emu Spray and Voltaren arthritis pain rub. On my finger tips, thumb, knuckles, elbow. toes. Deb asked me today, does the Cherry Juice help? I said, "I don't know? I don't feel any pain!" Just drinking another bottle of water with some cherry juice in it. It is expensive though. 

I tried the cherry juice.... I couldn't tell a difference.

My arthritis pain in JUST in my two thumbs, a little bit on my middle finger left hand and a LOT on my middle finger on the right hand.  Everything else seems to be working just fine.

12 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I tried the cherry juice.... I couldn't tell a difference.

My arthritis pain in JUST in my two thumbs, a little bit on my middle finger left hand and a LOT on my middle finger on the right hand.  Everything else seems to be working just fine.

Getting to understand our parents pain with it.   I inherited it from my Mother but those 7 chemo drugs they gave me; The doctor told would all cause early arthritis also.  So I've tried a bunch of stuff. Cannot use my pinky finger playing guitar.  So I do cheat and it sounds just as good. 

• Thanks 1

Of course, we are all different. The cherry juice has way too much sugar for my arthritis/bursitis diet, and so far that's working, so I don't want to mess it up.

If I go off the diet, say on vacation, I can feel the difference. A week back and I'm OK again.

I admit, the diet is restricting. But I decided for me, I'd rather play guitar, sax, and keys and I'd rather walk with no pain. Sure, I miss some foods, but I don't miss the pain.

I suppose if one thing worked best for everyone, we wouldn't have so many choices.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Retired said:

Getting to understand our parents pain with it.   I inherited it from my Mother but those 7 chemo drugs they gave me; The doctor told would all cause early arthritis also.  So I've tried a bunch of stuff. Cannot use my pinky finger playing guitar.  So I do cheat and it sounds just as good. 

I certainly have had to change my playing...there are chords I simply cannot make any more..... I've been able to get around most of those hurdles so far.... the good thing is that I have much more time to practice, and I'm not limited to recording to the weekends!

• Like 1

You might try PEMFT - Pulsed ElectroMagnetic Therapy.

My mother-in-law went to a clinic to get this for her Parkinson's. It also helpd her arthritis.

The doc said the magnetic field loosens the calcium deposits in your joints, which reacts to that, and if you drink a lot of water afterward, you flush the calcium out of your body.

He gave me specific instructions for finding a home unit, which we bought for her. If anyone wants details, let me know.

They are a few hundred bucks, so I stick with the diet. It's working just fine.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 9:13 AM, Notes_Norton said:

Of course, we are all different. The cherry juice has way too much sugar for my arthritis/bursitis diet, and so far that's working, so I don't want to mess it up.

If I go off the diet, say on vacation, I can feel the difference. A week back and I'm OK again.

I admit, the diet is restricting. But I decided for me, I'd rather play guitar, sax, and keys and I'd rather walk with no pain. Sure, I miss some foods, but I don't miss the pain.

I suppose if one thing worked best for everyone, we wouldn't have so many choices.

Notes ♫

You have great discipline. Wish I could give up more foods not so great for me. At 70, I'll just finish the course however much time I have left and enjoy the foods God blesses us with. Lol. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2023 at 12:14 AM, Retired said:

You have great discipline. Wish I could give up more foods not so great for me. At 70, I'll just finish the course however much time I have left and enjoy the foods God blesses us with. Lol. 

Not discipline, priorities.

I inherited bursitis from my father. I also got my music talent from him so I can't complain. 🙂

In the late 1980s, my right hip was bothering me so much that I couldn't drive the car without a 'blue ice' pack behind my right hip. I was using a stool on stage, and couldn't walk more than 2 blocks without resting.

I was swallowing MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, SAMe, like crazy, rubbing DSMO and BluEmu cream on it, and it was still intolerable.

Arthritis settled into the little finger of my left hand, where I had a former basketball injury. I avoided using that finger on the guitar, and often skipped G#s on the sax, as the spring for that one was pretty stiff.

I went to the doctor to see what else I could do. This doc (now retired) was a believer at using drugs only when natural remedies didn't work, so he suggested the diet.

Within a month, I could drive 8 hours, only stopping for gas. At the end of the day, some slight discomfort was all that was left. It's completely gone now. That basketball finger is a thing of the past, too.

At first, I missed the foods I was giving up, but I found others that I like. 30+ years later, I don't really miss them at all, just remember them fondly.

The only time I cheat, is on my yearly vacation or when having dinner at a friend's house. One night at a friend's house doesn't seem to bother me, but a week or two on vacation brings the pain back somewhat. Then back to the diet. When I'm in another country, I want to sample the foods they eat, and often, it's either too high in carbs, or arachidonic acid.

So the choice was either live in pain, take prescription drugs with nasty side effects, or follow the diet. I chose the diet. That was what was right for me YMMV.

Notes ♫

• Like 2

Y'know Notes, I had a similar pain in BOTH hips, I'd describe it as being painful from mid butt cheek to just above the knee in both legs.  Turned out to be a facet cyst in one of my vertebrae pressing against the spinal cord.  Required surgery as no diet would ever work at getting rid of it. 

Righ now, the middle finger of my right hand feels stiff whenever I try to make a fist.  And when my hand is closed in a certain way the finger "locks" in the bent position until with extra force I get it to "snap" out of being bent.  the "snap" is more of an action as there's no "snap" sound involved.  My doctor only said it was some form of arthritis.  But as it's not chronically painful I consider it more of an annoyance than anything else.

Even after the spinal fusion surgery I had(there were other issues besides the cyst) the pain in my legs is gone, but my lower back is weak and with just enough pain to make walking without aid difficult, but not as painful as before.  And of course, there's that nagging Lymphedema  to deal with.

Whitefang

9 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Not discipline, priorities.

I inherited bursitis from my father. I also got my music talent from him so I can't complain. 🙂

In the late 1980s, my right hip was bothering me so much that I couldn't drive the car without a 'blue ice' pack behind my right hip. I was using a stool on stage, and couldn't walk more than 2 blocks without resting.

I was swallowing MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, SAMe, like crazy, rubbing DSMO and BluEmu cream on it, and it was still intolerable.

Arthritis settled into the little finger of my left hand, where I had a former basketball injury. I avoided using that finger on the guitar, and often skipped G#s on the sax, as the spring for that one was pretty stiff.

I went to the doctor to see what else I could do. This doc (now retired) was a believer at using drugs only when natural remedies didn't work, so he suggested the diet.

Within a month, I could drive 8 hours, only stopping for gas. At the end of the day, some slight discomfort was all that was left. It's completely gone now. That basketball finger is a thing of the past, too.

At first, I missed the foods I was giving up, but I found others that I like. 30+ years later, I don't really miss them at all, just remember them fondly.

The only time I cheat, is on my yearly vacation or when having dinner at a friend's house. One night at a friend's house doesn't seem to bother me, but a week or two on vacation brings the pain back somewhat. Then back to the diet. When I'm in another country, I want to sample the foods they eat, and often, it's either too high in carbs, or arachidonic acid.

So the choice was either live in pain, take prescription drugs with nasty side effects, or follow the diet. I chose the diet. That was what was right for me YMMV.

Notes ♫

Have to admit, that does sound good. So what foods do you eat? Especially protein? 

I gave this diet to my neighbor, who was walking her dog with a cane, in less than a month the cane was gone. A few months later, she was walking with the cane again, and I asked her what went wrong. She said that she just couldn't give up pasta, white bread, and sugar.

OK this is from the doctor.

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
    * Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Pasta (high glycemic index)
    * Juices (high glycemic index)
    * Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
    * White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
    * Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
    * Oatmeal
    * Low glycemic fresh fruits and vegetables
    * Olives and olive oil
    * Peanuts and other nuts
    * Whey proteins
    * Lean beef is good, 100% grass fed is better

Good luck with it.

Notes ♫

On 3/12/2023 at 9:50 AM, Whitefang said:

One of the longest jobs I had with GM was to hang those sheet metal car hoods and hood reinforcements on a conveyor carrying them up to the spot welders.  Wore so much protection on my hands that only some areas on my arms would get cuts.  And having a low threshold for pain made me more careful of hurting myself.  Or less clumsy.  Your choice. [wink]

My Aunt Helen ran a deli type shop when I was a kid.  She once cut off the tip of her index finger on her right hand on one of those slicers you see in delis.  And she was left handed, but the machine was set up for right handed use as there were more right handed workers in her store.   I'm left handed too.  But when you're raised left handed in a right handed world you learn to make adjustments and do many things ambidextrously.  Which makes most right handed people more limited in their abilities. [wink]

Whitefang

My daughter and I are lefties too! Your post is spot on! Lefties are the only ones in their Right minds, lol. Check out a book called, "The natural superiority of the lefthander.". In a nutshell, it details the huge percentage (90%+) of world leader, astronauts, CEO's, etc., who are left handed, despite lefties comprising only around 14% of the population.

• Like 1

I, unfortunately, have rheumatoid arthritis, which I acquired, (supposedly) genetically. Pain, stiffness, and swelling in my hands started when I was 10 or so, and slowly began to travel up my arms for years. My hands would swell and hurt so bad, at night, that I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours at a time. But, in my Junior year at the University of Iowa, a friend graduated and gave me his Waterbed, (90% wave less and heated), and his gift was unrelated to my arthritis. Yet after a few days of sleeping on it, my hand/ arm/shoulder issues began to disappear. As a "side sleeper", the pressure on my shoulders from a normal mattress must have effected blood flow, but the waterbed did not. Obviously waterbeds are not for everyone, nor can I prove that waterbeds help with arthritis, but mine sure helped me, and I still sleep on one.