Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Neck Profiles Similar To

Gibson29

Martin 00-17 from 1937.  I’ve played this Martin for the last 30 +/- years and have gotten quite use to it.  It’s the last year before 1-11/16” became standard, so a bit bigger in the hand.

Played a Gibson (and others) Uke-2 17 fret for about 10 years while ignoring my guitar, and the last year or 2 have worked back, sold some National guitars, a few ukes, brought 2 Martins back in, 0-18, 000-28, as well as a J-45 Std.  

But that J-45.  Kinda obsessed.  Played a J-35 vintage sunburst, and a long scale Advanced Jumbo, left wanting both.  Southern Jumbo, ‘34 Jumbo,and the other CS J-45 brethren I haven’t had opportunity to play.  I like the neck ok on the Std, it’s a keeper for now, but wondering if there’s a comparison neck-profile-wise.

Gotta say, never concerned with profile much before, as long as it was 1-¾, all good, but I’m liking the slightly smaller on the Gibson.  I hope this makes even a bit of sense.

already thinking of selling a Martin..

For me when it comes to judging feel (excluding body size) I look at the triumvirate of nut width, neck carve/depth and string spacing at the bridge.  My guess though is what you are reacting to with the J45 Standard and slimmer than 1 3/4" nut width is the neck carve.  A guitar with say a 1.725" nut and a depth of .85" to .91" with a round shoulder C carve is going to feel different from a guitar with the same specs but which sports a V carve or a carve which starts tapering in closer to where it meets the board.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, zombywoof said:

For me when it comes to judging feel (excluding body size) I look at the triumvirate of nut width, neck carve/depth and string spacing at the bridge.  My guess though is what you are reacting to with the J45 Standard and slimmer than 1 3/4" nut width is the neck carve.  A guitar with say a 1.725" nut and a depth of .85" to .91" with a round shoulder C carve is going to feel different from a guitar with the same specs but which sports a V carve or a carve which starts tapering in closer to where it meets the board.

Thanks, gonna check on a 34 Jumbo, I hear those have huge necks, and he’s got a 36 Advanced Jumbo there too.  I’ll see what’s what I suppose.  

Thanks, gonna check on a 34 Jumbo, I hear those have huge necks, and he’s got a 36 Advanced Jumbo there too.  I’ll see what’s what I suppose.  

If you are talking about real 1934 and 1936, not so much.  The Jumbo has a more pronounced V., but they atr not really large.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

I’m thinking the 50s Reissue J-45 has that chunky neck you may like to try.

I have it on my LG-2 and it feels like home.

I had an opportunity to play 2 of the “historic”, a 36 J-35 and 36 Advanced Jumbo, and their sound blew me away.  I’ve played the faded as well alongside the one I ended up with, Std., but the other 2.. and I love the sound out of mine, it’s great, those were just another level.  Although full disclosure, the fretboard binding and look of the finish may color my opinion.  Coolest finish on those.  All the necks were ok, but yeah, the 50s had some heft.

Also noticed you can’t swing a cat in a Gibson guitar thread without someone talking about “inconsistency with Gibson”, yet it’s gotta be about 15 or so J-45s I’ve played in different shops, and every one was good.

23 minutes ago, tpbiii said:

If you are talking about real 1934 and 1936, not so much.  The Jumbo has a more pronounced V., but they are not really large.

A guy in an ad suggested it was huge, but I think you’re right, none are all that big.  But if I’m going to spend upwards of 5K on one, I think I’d better go play it, retired, so road trip inevitable.  Maybe go see that 34 Jumbo today, it’s got binding! 😉

48 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

I had an opportunity to play 2 of the “historic”, a 36 J-35 and 36 Advanced Jumbo, and their sound blew me away.  I’ve played the faded as well alongside the one I ended up with, Std., but the other 2.. and I love the sound out of mine, it’s great, those were just another level.  Although full disclosure, the fretboard binding and look of the finish may color my opinion.  Coolest finish on those.  All the necks were ok, but yeah, the 50s had some heft.

Also noticed you can’t swing a cat in a Gibson guitar thread without someone talking about “inconsistency with Gibson”, yet it’s gotta be about 15 or so J-45s I’ve played in different shops, and every one was good.

Yeah, that Gibson quality and inconsistency thing just refuses to die.  These days 99% of Gibsons will sound fantastic, given some break-in time.  Yes, some have a few rough spots in the cosmetics, but to me that is part of what I love about the brand…not pristine, but like a great pair of old jeans…perfectly imperfect.
 Love Gibsons.

rb

• Thanks 2

A guy in an ad suggested it was huge, but I think you’re right, none are all that big.  But if I’m going to spend upwards of 5K on one, I think I’d better go play it, retired, so road trip inevitable.  Maybe go see that 34 Jumbo today, it’s got binding! 😉

I own both a 35 JUMBO (with binding) and 36 AJ.  IME, Gibson necks from that period did not vary too much -- unlike the wartime Banners.  If you are talking about neck binding, most collectors would guess that was a 35 -- unless Joe Spann had more information on the batch.  All the Jumbos had body binding.

Here are mine.

4ws95oH.jpg

HITbbPv.jpg

QPMvjWa.jpg

kuCkPuq.jpg

Best,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

Tom,

I had a 2010 legend and it had a large round baseball neck. 
I have a 2020 ‘42 SJ that has a modern C shape and 1.77” nut

Gibson has the newer ‘42 J45’s spec at 1.72” V neck

Do the necks vary on your vintage SJ compared to the J45?

Thanks,

Dave

• Thanks 1

Tom,

I had a 2010 legend and it had a large round baseball neck. 
I have a 2020 ‘42 SJ that has a modern C shape and 1.77” nut

Gibson has the newer ‘42 J45’s spec at 1.72” V neck

Do the necks vary on your vintage SJ compared to the J45?

YUhcFcT.jpg

Back row -- 42 LG-1 and 46 LG-2 -- moderate sized necks

Left hand pair -- early 43 J-45 and early 43 SJ -- baseball necks with no adjustable truss rod

Center -- late 43 RW SJ -- moderate neck with truss rod

right hand pair -- 44 J-45 and 53 J-45 -- moderate necks with truss rods ( also have a 54 SJ, with a similar neck)

Because I have so many different profiles, I have developed a skill to switch back and forth -- but not instantly.  I takes about 5 minutes for my right brain to lock in.  Thus I cannot grab one at random and start playing and make no mistakes. 

Best,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 7:18 AM, rbpicker said:

Yeah, that Gibson quality and inconsistency thing just refuses to die.  These days 99% of Gibsons will sound fantastic, given some break-in time.  Yes, some have a few rough spots in the cosmetics, but to me that is part of what I love about the brand…not pristine, but like a great pair of old jeans…perfectly imperfect.
 Love Gibsons.

rb

Exactly!  You must be one of those guys who doesn’t check inside your guitars for a spot of glue….lol….There’s a “Gibson mojo” and if someone doesn’t get it then they just don’t “get it.”

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:14 PM, tpbiii said:

YUhcFcT.jpg

Back row -- 42 LG-1 and 46 LG-2 -- moderate sized necks

Left hand pair -- early 43 J-45 and early 43 SJ -- baseball necks with no adjustable truss rod

Center -- late 43 RW SJ -- moderate neck with truss rod

right hand pair -- 44 J-45 and 53 J-45 -- moderate necks with truss rods ( also have a 54 SJ, with a similar neck)

Because I have so many different profiles, I have developed a skill to switch back and forth -- but not instantly.  I takes about 5 minutes for my right brain to lock in.  Thus I cannot grab one at random and start playing and make no mistakes. 

Best,

-Tom

You’re a Gibson acoustic God.  Teach me your ways…

• Haha 1