Gibson Brands Forums

Which would you pick?

Hype

If these were your 3 Gibson Acoustics or choice? I know I don’t have the J-45 the “workhorse” of the Gibson Acoustic guitars, but I’m not really into the sloped shoulder guitars. I might make an exception to an older Adavnced Jumbo or Country & Western…

Dove vs Hummingbird vs J-200

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smashing - I would need to hear & feel them first. 

Is there a  constellation on the lower bout of that Bird. . 

18 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Smashing - I would need to hear & feel them first. 

Is there a  constellation on the lower bout of that Bird. . 

LOL. Yeah just randomly placed star decals…I think it looks nicer. Some people disagree..

Edited by Hype

2 hours ago, jedzep said:

Looks matter.  They all are waay to 'Disney' for me.  My preferences are 'plain Jane'.

“Disney” would be ‘Doves In Flight’. You prefer J-45 or studios I guess..No Martin D-45s (that’s the 2nd next on my bucket list).

Edited by Hype
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hype said:

“Disney” would be ‘Doves In Flight’. You prefer J-45 or studios I guess..No Martin D-45s (that’s the 2nd next on my bucket list).

I think I've covered the whole range and I've found I like both ends and everything in between.

• Like 1

Another plain jane guy here, I'd sell them all and look for a vintage slope, but not totally afraid of bling, as an old SJ would fit the bill.

ETA:  Very nice trio of guitars, if I really had to choose, it would come down to feel and tone.

Edited by G Man

33 minutes ago, G Man said:

Another plain jane guy here, I'd sell them all and look for a vintage slope, but not totally afraid of bling, as an old SJ would fit the bill.

ETA:  Very nice trio of guitars, if I really had to choose, it would come down to feel and tone.

I always thought a D-45 was too blingy, but then I saw the “Doves In Flight” and “Hummingbirds In Flight” and some blinged out J-200’s and was like, those are museum pieces, not a D-45

Edited by Hype

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

52741678455_e095a7b6e4_b.jpg

LMFAO. Dude so you are the guy that buys the “Doves In Flight”! Love that pickguard. Are you a bit more careful when playing it? Or just play it normally? That is a sweet museum piece!

Whats the one at the back with the white button tuners and parallelogram inlays (on the left)? 

5 hours ago, RvrDxn said:

I prefer short scale so normally I would go for the Hummingbird but there is no way I would pay the money for one with stickers all over it. Next for me would be the Elvis Dove. The 200 is an amazing guitar but too big for me.

You don’t like my decals? Most people don’t..

2 minutes ago, Hype said:

LMFAO. Dude so you are the guy that buys the “Doves In Flight”! Love that pickguard. Are you a bit more careful when playing it? Or just play it normally? That is a sweet museum piece!

Whats the one at the back with the white button tuners and parallelogram inlays (on the left)? 

I got the DIF in a trade and surprisingly, I do not have that much invested in it. Really nice playing and sounding guitar and quickly became one of my favorites.

I think the one in the back is the 2020 '42 SJ Banner

11 hours ago, Dave F said:

I got the DIF in a trade and surprisingly, I do not have that much invested in it. Really nice playing and sounding guitar and quickly became one of my favorites.

I think the one in the back is the 2020 '42 SJ Banner

It’s nice when you can play a guitar like that and not have to worry about treating it like it belongs in a glass casing..

Love the 42 SJ..

4 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Another vote for the King of the Flatops.  Funny thing - when I see these - I don't see 'bling'.  I see TONE !  

Agreed. You can’t beat a SJ-200/J-200. Their tone is so distinct..

• Like 1

As I have yet to buy a Gibson which I have not played first, I am not in any kind of a position to say which one I would allow to stay and which two would go.  But if I could only have one Gibson my gut reaction is that none of the three would be it.  But I also think that when it comes to flattops the guitars which put Gibson on the map and defined their sound for decades were the slope shoulder jumbos and L Series guitars.   

Edited by zombywoof

6 hours ago, Hype said:

Agreed. You can’t beat a SJ-200/J-200. Their tone is so distinct..

I know I am coming off like a broken record but a J200 education is not complete without spending some quality time with a 1951 and on J200 with the two scary wide-angle X braces above and below the soundhole, the ladder mounted tone bars and long bridge plate.  Not a better or worse or whatever thing but a sound which is truly unique among super jumbos.

Whenever possible, I always prefer to play it first but that doesn't present itself too often.

I usually make sure there's a generous return policy or have it figured out in my mind that I can flip it.

Although the three guitars shown are all nice, I have a DIF (and besides, that Dove has the seam issue 😉 ), I've had a couple Hummingbirds that were nice guitars, but I just didn't care for them, and with the new SJ200, I have the Jumbo guitars covered. So, I'll pass on this group. I think I may be at the end of my perfect guitar quest.

52742857417_c80cb3eab7_w.jpg