Gibson Brands Forums

Worst Guitar You have Ever Played/Owned?

Mr. Robot

I've seen some bad ones, but the worst would have to have been the electric guitars that they used to sell in KMart 30 years ago. They did not even have a brand name on them. I think the body shape was modelled on an old KAY.

The pickups looked like something they just pulled out of an old radio and nailed onto the body;

The body felt like a bit of balsa wood;

But the neck was the best - you could get splinters running your hand down the bloody thing and the frets looked like bits off a Model Railway track.

Tuning was impossible. Luckily, I never had to buy one of those.

I tried some local brand a while ago... they costed 89 bucks and were shaped after a full sized strat.

:|

Anyone that buys one of them is just throwing 89 out the window.

But, the worst guitar has to be the Devries guitar... if you have time, look here:

Uglyness down to the custom case (a $100 EXTRA value)

http://guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9544&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=bb2e5c89a6b6046b58a4a1b776dfeeb1

easily the worst piece of junk I've played was a fake SG at a local shop. I'm pretty sure the body was made out of some kind of imitation wood made from plastic, the pickups were like... I don't even know how to describe them. I put it through both a blues jr and a hr deluxe, and both sounded atrocious. I felt like I was playing something a 5 year old put together from a kit. I still have nightmares about it.

easily the worst piece of junk I've played was a fake SG at a local shop. I'm pretty sure the body was made out of some kind of imitation wood made from plastic' date=' the pickups were like... I don't even know how to describe them. I put it through both a blues jr and a hr deluxe, and both sounded atrocious. I felt like I was playing something a 5 year old put together from a kit. I still have nightmares about it.[/quote']

I love reading stories like yours vagabond. I could almost visualise your face and hear the noise coming out of that bucket of bolts. Priceless :-

My first guitar was a two pickup Teisco Del Rey back in 1966. It was an absolutely horrid piece of junk.

I had one of those too.

You're right!

I've worked on several Epiphones in the last 5 years.

Friends or coworkers brought them to me with the same story "It's the kid's guitar and it doesn't work...." so I did what I could to get them playing again. They may not be the worst in the world, but they're bad enough.

I had one that was actually pretty decent if the actual wood used in it wasn't considered.

It was a 1998 Epi Flying V that had been completely gutted and rewired with Gibson pots and Duncan pickups.

The thing actually played pretty damned good, and sounded great!

I sold it on Ebay thinking I would get a real V, I still haven't found one I like that I can afford.

I had one of those too.

You're right!

I've worked on several Epiphones in the last 5 years.

Friends or coworkers brought them to me with the same story "It's the kid's guitar and it doesn't work...." so I did what I could to get them playing again. They may not be the worst in the world' date=' but they're bad enough.

I had one that was actually pretty decent if the actual wood used in it wasn't considered.

It was a 1998 Epi Flying V that had been completely gutted and rewired with Gibson pots and Duncan pickups.

The thing actually played pretty damned good, and sounded great!

I sold it on Ebay thinking I would get a real V, I still haven't found one I like that I can afford.

[/quote']

Did you try any other compaines to see if you like their V's? Dean,B.C. rich,ESP...forget the ESP...

Did you try any other compaines to see if you like their V's? Dean' date='B.C. rich,ESP...forget the ESP...[/quote']

No, but thanks Dem00n.

Part of the reason I sold it is that it's an import guitar and I'm really too much of a snob to own anything but American.

Dean made some cool stuff years ago, but what the hell is up with that big goofy headstock? People would laugh...

BC Rich and all the hair metal stuff ain't my bag, I have several friends who own them.

And, yes, forget ESP.

I considered a Hamer Vector, but the prices on them are as insane as the Gibsons...

Not counting no name Pawn Shop jokes, the worst guitar I ever played was a Hondo Les Paul copy. The worst one i ever owned was so bad. A Carlo Robelli Jumbo Acoustic good enough for the Beach or the Back of the Truck. I haven't owend to many POS's.

I had a guitar in the shop, my Friend had a Gretchen semi hollow body he let me use, That was the most frustrating Week I've ever had. wouldn't stay in tune, was hard to get in tune even with a tunner. I just wanted to smash it but it wasn't mine. I told the guy who let me use it about all the problems. He said Oh yah thats why he never messed with it anymore. He forgot (Yah Right).

Not counting no name Pawn Shop jokes' date=' the worst guitar I ever played was a Hondo Les Paul copy. The worst one i ever owned was so bad. A Carlo Robelli Jumbo Acoustic good enough for the Beach or the Back of the Truck. I haven't owend to many POS's.[/quote']

Ya hondo is the worst at making les paul copies...what my intell says.

I had the honor to own a Eb-0 or Eb-1 or whatever Epi SG Bass. Had high strings for the ultimate bass slide *sarcasim* That "thing" wouldnt stop buzzing no matter how light I strummed it or how high the string were. So I had to tune the whole bass up one octave (which is not a good idea in the first place) so it would stop buzzing. Then I traded it for a epi thunderbird bass which had its problems.

Archived