Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help: Burstbucker 61 height on '22 LP Classic

Fearomoon

On 3/15/2023 at 9:05 PM, Pinch said:

I know, right? 4 and 3 mm sounds ludicrous but really, that's where THAT tone is with those pickups, for me at least (and you, apparently). 

I kept going back and forth thinking, this CAN'T be right. I'm losing it. But no. It's really strange because you'd think you'd lose something crucial at that height, but it's the opposite - that's where the fullest sound is with those pickups. They don't even sound like the same pickups! Crazy.  I've never encountered anything like that with any other pickup. But, there you go. 

Happy I could help. Enjoy your guitar 🙂

So this is 4mm above the pickup ring?

I must try it!

I optimized the whole thing a bit by adjusting the string-to-string output.  I lowered the pole pieces on the loud strings and turned them up on the quiet strings.  the g string needs to be lowest because it's the loudest.  The whole thing now looks like the picture and sounds even better 😁😁

IMG_2108.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:29 AM, Pinch said:

4 mm between the string and the polepiece on the low E when pushed down on the last fret 

Thanks both to @Pinch and @Fearomoon.

I have learned something here.  Though my ES 139 has Burstbucker Pro pickups rather than the 61s, I set the height as above and there is a distinct improvement in clarity and tone...IMO.

=D>  Thanks again to both, and best wishes!

[thumbup]🎸

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Thanks both to @Pinch and @Fearomoon.

I have learned something here.  Though my ES 139 has Burstbucker Pro pickups rather than the 61s, I set the height as above and there is a distinct improvement in clarity and tone...IMO.

=D>  Thanks again to both, and best wishes!

[thumbup]🎸

Wow, really? On BB Pros? They're a completely different animal. Well, if it sounds good, great. You're welcome. 

Overall, for not-too-gainy stuff, it's generally a good idea to set Gibson pickups lower than you'd think would work, at least if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, Fearomoon said:

I optimized the whole thing a bit by adjusting the string-to-string output.  I lowered the pole pieces on the loud strings and turned them up on the quiet strings.  the g string needs to be lowest because it's the loudest.  The whole thing now looks like the picture and sounds even better 😁😁

IMG_2108.jpeg

Cool. Yeah, I couldn't be happier with the tone. It just sounds... Les Paul. 

As opposed to how they sounded at their original height... Not very good. But set up right, they're pure magic. 

Edited by Pinch

• 3 months later...

Wow, what a great post! I've been battling for days and this is the best answer I've found. So thanks for that @Pinch and @Fearomoon  

Quick follow up question though (sorry if I missed that). What amps and settings did you use, like for your base tone? Did you turn the bass and treble EQs completely off, for example? 

Thanks! 

JB

1 hour ago, JBP said:

Wow, what a great post! I've been battling for days and this is the best answer I've found. So thanks for that @Pinch and @Fearomoon  

Quick follow up question though (sorry if I missed that). What amps and settings did you use, like for your base tone? Did you turn the bass and treble EQs completely off, for example? 

Thanks! 

JB

Several amps at other people's houses. Nothing drastic, maybe mids up a little and bass down a touch. Depends on the amp. Low gain! 

Happy to help. I love the pickups when they're set up right. If they're not... Not so much. 

Edited by Pinch

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

Several amps at other people's houses. Nothing drastic, maybe mids up a little and bass down a touch. Depends on the amp. Low gain! 

Happy to help. I love the pickups when they're set up right. If they're not... Not so much. 

Ok thanks! And, we are talking with the strings fretted at the 22nd, right? Just tried those measurements fretted and unfretted at 22nd. It's quite different. Thanks again

I have the 61R & T pickups in my SG.  They're kind of hot and a little trebly.  My bridge pickup is at about 2.5 mm on both sides, pretty level with the strings.  My neck pickup is at 3.5 mm and 3.0 mm. Just a little closer on the treble side.

They're not super articulate sounding.  More of a chunky, creamy sound.  I like them backed off a little to a lower height. 

Edited by badbluesplayer

I've always quite liked the options available on the latest Classic but I've never had the opportunity to play one. Last Friday I was in a guitar shop and picked up a couple of Classic's , I was absolutely shocked at the weight of them considering they are supposed to be weight relived.  I have two solid Les Paul's and both are lighter than those and they dwarfed the weight of my Les Paul Classic Antique at 7lb 5oz 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 8:32 PM, IanHenry said:

I've always quite liked the options available on the latest Classic but I've never had the opportunity to play one. Last Friday I was in a guitar shop and picked up a couple of Classic's , I was absolutely shocked at the weight of them considering they are supposed to be weight relived.  I have two solid Les Paul's and both are lighter than those and they dwarfed the weight of my Les Paul Classic Antique at 7lb 5oz 

I've seen them listed as pretty heavy too! Like 9lbs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...