Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone (but it's really a Gibson)

egoidealmusic

I like Chris and the fact that he’s introducing a younger audience to some of the old school music. He’s not the only one. I imagine him playing the guitar on tour for a year and a half has it broke in pretty good.  I liked watching the entire video and getting his story. 5k list for a sig model is normal these days.  It doesn’t mean you actually have to pay that for the guitar if you want to buy one  

Chris is the real deal in country music  

56 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I like Chris and the fact that he’s introducing a younger audience to some of the old school music. He’s not the only one. I imagine him playing the guitar on tour for a year and a half has it broke in pretty good.  I liked watching the entire video and getting his story. 5k list for a sig model is normal these days.  It doesn’t mean you actually have to pay that for the guitar if you want to buy one  

Chris is the real deal in country music  

I'm with ya, Dave.

When I recorded "Tennessee Whiskey" I kind of blended Chris' arrangement with George Jones'.    It came out okay!

37 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I'm with ya, Dave.

When I recorded "Tennessee Whiskey" I kind of blended Chris' arrangement with George Jones'.    It came out okay!

Surprised you didn’t through a little David Alan Coe in there.  I think he recorded it first. 
I’m a big Marty Stuart fan. One of his band members is Chris Scruggs, an unbelievable  string wizard. Plays anything with strings on it.  He’s the grandson of Earl Scruggs. His mom was one of the song writers on Tennessee Whiskey. 

I’ll take a Gibson SJ200 for about the same price all day long!!!! Or a Guild D-55E for $1000.00 less… 

I have nothing against Chris.. But, I have no interest in paying $5000 for his Epiphone Frontier.. $1000.00 for a 2nd Pickguard? What? The same equipped Epi Frontier is $1000 less… Same Specs.. I prefer the look with one Pickguard better.. Arguably they sound better with one Pickguard… If anybodies looking….

Edited by Larsongs

42 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Surprised you didn’t through a little David Alan Coe in there.  I think he recorded it first. 
I’m a big Marty Stuart fan. One of his band members is Chris Scruggs, an unbelievable  string wizard. Plays anything with strings on it.  He’s the grandson of Earl Scruggs. His mom was one of the song writers on Tennessee Whiskey. 

I’m a MartyStuart fan too…..I know Chris took over for Paul Martin when he kept.    I did take Coe’s arrangement into account….but NO ONE can even carry his lunch pail!

48 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I’ll take a Gibson SJ200 for about the same price all day long!!!! Or a Guild D-55E for $1000.00 less… 

I have nothing against Chris.. But, I have no interest in paying $5000 for his Epiphone Frontier.. $1000.00 for a 2nd Pickguard? What? The same equipped Epi Frontier is $1000 less… Same Specs.. I prefer the look with one Pickguard better.. Arguably they sound better with one Pickguard… If anybodies looking….

I’m with you on this.   A signature model is subject to valuation fluctuations…..for instance…..should Chris’ political leanings be learned, his guitars will be worthless to half the people, thereby devaluing  it because half the market is lost.   Would be analogous to owning a Pete Rose Rookie card, or O.J.Simpson signed football!

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I’m a MartyStuart fan too…..I know Chris took over for Paul Martin when he kept.    I did take Coe’s arrangement into account….but NO ONE can even carry his lunch pail!

You may like watching Scruggs in this

6 hours ago, Dave F said:

Did you catch McGuinn and Hillman's Sweetheart of the Rodeo 50th Anniversary tour?  Marty Stuart and the Superlatives were the backup band.  It was a perfect matchup. Marty nailed solo after solo and at the end picked up a mandolin and launched into a scorching rendition of Petty's "Running Down a Dream." 

18 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Did you catch McGuinn and Hillman's Sweetheart of the Rodeo 50th Anniversary tour?  Marty Stuart and the Superlatives were the backup band.  It was a perfect matchup. Marty nailed solo after solo and at the end picked up a mandolin and launched into a scorching rendition of Petty's "Running Down a Dream." 

Great Stuff!!!!

5 hours ago, Dave F said:

I think the big cost jump is the aged top. That’s a $1000 option. The standard single pick guard model does not have the aged top.

Maybe... But, I'd still have to go with a Gibson SJ200 or Martin D-41 for about the same price or a USA Guild D-55E for $1000.00 less....

Edited by Larsongs

13 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I think even lead guitar players are amazed at Marty....and Kenny Vaughn is no slouch!   

One of the very first dates I took my wife on when we first met was a concert with Roger McGuinn & George Carlin, (this was in 1976), and he was amazing.  

I worked with McGuinn when he was with The Byrds.

9 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I think even lead guitar players are amazed at Marty....and Kenny Vaughn is no slouch!   

One of the very first dates I took my wife on when we first met was a concert with Roger McGuinn & George Carlin, (this was in 1976), and he was amazing.  

I worked with McGuinn when he was with The Byrds.

The first concert I ever went to was the Byrds in 1965.  As the second LP had not yet been released the only songs we had heard off of it were those released as 45 rpms.    It was one of those **** Clark package tours so also saw Paul Revere and the Raiders, Bo Diddley and the We Five (remember them).  

6 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The first concert I ever went to was the Byrds in 1965.  As the second LP had not yet been released the only songs we had heard off of it were those released as 45 rpms.    It was one of those **** Clark package tours so also saw Paul Revere and the Raiders, Bo Diddley and the We Five (remember them).  

Now you're in my neck of the woods!

First off....funny you can't even type "DlCK" Clark, (I know...I once tried to refer to "DlCK" Dale).

Second, I worked with Paul Revere & The Raiders, and We Five..... would LOVED to have worked with Bo Diddley, but never did.

12 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Just great ^ wonder how it went down. Pretty hard stuff to do live with the monitors of the time, I always imagined. . 

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Now you're in my neck of the woods!

First off....funny you can't even type "DlCK" Clark, (I know...I once tried to refer to "DlCK" Dale).

Thx for clearing this up. I read it as f . . .  Clark and thought "oh no, what happened, was it due to the fear of flying-myth. . " -  (talking Gene here)

I'm only half in the club. Actually saw Gene Clark and The Firebirds (including Michael Clarke) in 1984 - and then Roger M solo some 15 years ago. 

25 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Just great ^ wonder how it went down. Pretty hard stuff to do live with the monitors of the time, I always imagined. . 

Thx for clearing this up. I read it as f . . .  Clark and thought "oh no, what happened, was it due to the fear of flying-myth. . " -  (talking Gene here)

I'm only half in the club. Actually saw Gene Clark and The Firebirds (including Michael Clarke) in 1984 - and then Roger M solo some 15 years ago. 

Ah, Gene Clark!  

You know, to make a full circle, Marty Stuart plays Clearance White's Tele now!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Ah, Gene Clark!  

You know, to make a full circle, Marty Stuart plays Clearance White's Tele now!

Make the circle a little larger. The D45 Martin he plays with the bullet hole in it came from Johnny Cash who got it from Hank Jr. which was handed down from Hank Sr.

His sig model is supposed to be spec'd out to that guitar except for the decorations. When I downsized, it's the one 'D' I kept because of the neck shape.

52755732188_b74aa97b9f_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Make the circle a little larger. The D45 Martin he plays with the bullet hole in it came from Johnny Cash who got it from Hank Jr. which was handed down from Hank Sr.

His sig model is supposed to be spec'd out to that guitar except for the decorations. When I downsized, it's the one 'D' I kept because of the neck shape.

52755732188_b74aa97b9f_n.jpg

I didn't know that....I do know he was close friends with Johnny....does the signature model have the bullet hole in it?

(Now we're getting into the "Red Violin" territory!

7 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I didn't know that....I do know he was close friends with Johnny....does the signature model have the bullet hole in it?

(Now we're getting into the "Red Violin" territory!

No bullet hole.

Marty Stuart Teams Up With C. F. Martin in Design of HD-40MS Country Bluegrass Flatpicker's Limited Edition - Sounding Board Newsletter - August 1996

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I didn't know that....I do know he was close friends with Johnny....

At one time he was Johnny's son-in-law and played in Johnny's band. Marty and Connie were neighbors to Johnny and June and Marty maintained a close relationship with John up to his death.