Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop Lifetime Warranty

MjrPaynendaz

Doesn’t 45-55% mean just that, whether humidified OR dehumidified? I was under the impression for my last 30 years or so 45-55% was perfect. What a, I missing. All my guitars are perfect, except this one, single Gibson Custom Shop. I’m guessing you just can’t win since so much is subjective. I’m still gonna be pissed about this entire thing but not going to fret over it any longer. I just won’t give Gibson  Custom Shop my hard earned money any longer, especially with their BS “Lifetime Warranty”.  I learned a good lesson re: Warranty and Gibson. I’ll let the professionals deal with it. Thanks for the post, I appreciate all the other lessons learned out there regarding Gibson Warranty and there are plenty. 🤙

1 minute ago, MjrPaynendaz said:

I was under the impression for my last 30 years or so 45-55% was perfect. What am I missing. 

You're correct.

Heck, I'd say 40/60 average would be good, mine gig a lot and see all kinds of extremes.

I wish you luck my friend.

I keep my 3 hanging on the wall 24/7  with the humidity kept between 40% and 60%.  Never a problem, (Knock on wood.)   Never play out on the back porch unless the weather is the same as inside.   My guess here - wood is a natural product.  The top face is extremely thin. If they pulled a 'bad' piece, or one not fully seasoned - and it experienced an 'event' - one small separation could easily grow into a longer split. 

I understand the reason Gibson would not feel obligated to warrant an 'old' guitar.  People can mistreat them, or their ex-wives can.  Leave 'em on the back porch overnight.  But - the idea of a Lifetime Warranty is pretty self-explanatory.   Very disappointing for Gibson.  When it's the Original Purchaser, who paid his own big bucks, they should assume he'd take reasonable care. Problem of course - if you sell ten thousand guitars - 1% will have defects like this, but 1% of the owners will have caused defects like this - and it's hard to know which is which. 

I guess when you're 75, you start to question the intrinsic value of a 'Lifetime Warranty' ?  G'Luck ! 

I’m coming to understand I’ll definitely need “luck” in dealing with the Custom Shop. I had NO idea what I was getting into just trying to file a claim. I don’t mind it getting refused, I just want it looked at and if I need to pay for it, no problem. They seem to have a HUGE problem issuing RM numbers which seems to me they must be backed up with repairs, warranty or otherwise. Thanks for the “Luck”.  🎸 All you Gibson guys are awesome. Wish Gibson Custom Shop was.

Edited by MjrPaynendaz

You understand correctly, unfortunately. I’m retired, have plenty of time on my hands so, I’ll just keep posting about their “Warranty” and maybe even make a detailed YouTube video naming names, ridiculous responses from them and details of the damage just as a warning to others about how their LIFETIME WARRANTY really works. (For them) Thanks for responding. I appreciate all the input from Gibson players and am quite surprised at some of the repair stories.🎸

19 minutes ago, Little Feat said:

So if I am reading responses correctly its the forum members who determined how long the Lifetime Warranty is, and weather the work will be done?  Isn't that Gibson's job to sort out? 7.5 years is not a lifetime. 

You’re not reading responses correctly. You’re reading forum members opinions and nothing else. We do not represent Gibson or set their policies.

If you do not want to hear others opinions, I suggest you do not join in on forums, but I do see you have no problems expressing your personal opinions which I can appreciate without adding a snide misspelled response. 
I feel for the OP and would probably exhaust all options. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MjrPaynendaz said:

This guitar is home kept, never outside, 72 degrees, in a/c so over humidified isn’t the issue.  I have assorted Gibson, Martin and Fenders (elec) and have owned acoustics for 50 years and never had this issue. This guitar is showroom perfect… except for the bout crack, now. I’m just shocked and disappointed how they treat their customers once that sale is made. My post is just a warning not to believe their BS “Lifetime Warranty”. Don’t claim it if it ain’t so. That’s just false advertising and now, Breach of Warranty . We’ll see. I’ve already wasted too much time on this and am leaving it to others to sort it out. I don’t have a problem paying for the repair, especially if it’s something I’ve caused but, want to know how I caused the crack so I can correct the ‘error in my ways’ so it never happens again.  Thanks for the reply and advice!

Write a detailed written letter to the President & CEO of Gibson.. Send it it Certified… Be sure to detail how Guitar was maintained, kept & stored.. Cracks can be caused by abuse & or neglect.. Particularly lack of humidity. Be sure to let them know they weren’t caused by neglect or abuse..

IMO, You have a Warranty Issue that Gibson should resolve.. Don’t give up.. 

Having a hard time understanding why it is that people think a 7.5 year old guitar developing a crack after 7.5 years  would be covered under warranty.   Defect in materials?  Defect in build?  Sounds more like it falls into the “sh*t happens” category.  

There’s no reality that something like that would be covered.    

Im not one for casting blame. Just saying Gibson Lifetime warranty has never been clarified as to what it pertains to.  
A neck bow? Or a heel block coming loose  .  There will be always a cast of doubt blaming it on the owner not looking after the item. 

us as Gibson forum people live all over the world , and in different climates.  It would best to discuss the ordeal with the dealer   And see if they can help you out 

The very first Paragraph of Gibson’s Warranty says it plain..

Your new Gibson instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the original retail purchaser, subject to the limitations contained in this warranty.”

You can spin anything any way you in these times of Political Correctness..  But, a Cracked Body is a defect in Materials.. Possibly Workmanship too.. Or both..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

The very first Paragraph of Gibson’s Warranty says it plain..

Your new Gibson instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the original retail purchaser, subject to the limitations contained in this warranty.”

You can spin anything any way you in these times of Political Correctness..  But, a Cracked Body is a defect in Materials.. Possibly Workmanship too.. Or both..

This Warranty Is Subject To The Following Limitations

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

1. Any instrument that has been altered or modified in any way or upon which the serial number has been tampered with or altered.
  2. Any instrument whose warranty card has been altered or upon which false information has been given.
  3. Any instrument that has been damaged due to misuse, negligence, accident, or improper operation.
  4. The subjective issue of tonal characteristics.
  5. Shipping damages of any kind.
  6. Any instrument that has been subjected to extremes of humidity or temperature
  7. Normal wear and tear (i.e., worn frets, worn machine heads, worn plating, string replacement, scratched pickguards, or damages to or discoloration of the instrument finish for any reason).
  8. Any instrument that has been purchased from an unauthorized dealer, or upon which unauthorized repair or service has been performed.
  9. Any factory installed electronics after a period of one (I) year following the original date of purchase.
  10. Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.
  11. Gibson does not warranty the playability of a instrument whose "action" is lower than the standard "action" as defined in the owners manual.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dave F said:

This Warranty Is Subject To The Following Limitations

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

1. Any instrument that has been altered or modified in any way or upon which the serial number has been tampered with or altered.
  2. Any instrument whose warranty card has been altered or upon which false information has been given.
  3. Any instrument that has been damaged due to misuse, negligence, accident, or improper operation.
  4. The subjective issue of tonal characteristics.
  5. Shipping damages of any kind.
  6. Any instrument that has been subjected to extremes of humidity or temperature
  7. Normal wear and tear (i.e., worn frets, worn machine heads, worn plating, string replacement, scratched pickguards, or damages to or discoloration of the instrument finish for any reason).
  8. Any instrument that has been purchased from an unauthorized dealer, or upon which unauthorized repair or service has been performed.
  9. Any factory installed electronics after a period of one (I) year following the original date of purchase.
  10. Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.
  11. Gibson does not warranty the playability of a instrument whose "action" is lower than the standard "action" as defined in the owners manual.

Yes.. I know.. But, if the Guitar is as the OP says it is….. It’s a defect in Materials & or Workmanship.. Gibson needs to step up…  They’re a good Company.. The OP just hasn’t got to the right person yet.. At this point I’d be contacting the President & or CEO….

14 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Yes.. I know.. But, if the Guitar is as the OP says it is….. It’s a defect in Materials & or Workmanship.. Gibson needs to step up…  They’re a good Company.. The OP just hasn’t got to the right person yet.. At this point I’d be contacting the President & or CEO….

However, I don’t think there’s a guitar builder in existence that would consider a crack forming on the top, back, sides, etc., after seven and a half years to be a defect simply because there are too many variables.  

How about the same thing on a 10 yo guitar?  15? 20?  What is your personal cutoff where it sounds legitimate?

1 minute ago, Gibson29 said:

However, I don’t think there’s a guitar builder in existence that would consider a crack forming on the top, back, sides, etc., after seven and a half years to be a defect simply because there are too many variables.  

How about the same thing on a 10 yo guitar?  15? 20?  What is your personal cutoff where it sounds legitimate?

Depends on the Warranty.. And, how honest & credible the Company or Builder is.. 

If they don’t say lifetime…. No..

If they do say lifetime…. Yes.. It’s stated very clear.. 

We’ve had 3 Great Danes.  Fabulous dogs. Their only problem is being so short lived. 
But as far as a soft wood, less than 1/4” thick  , 8 years old, subjected to unknown variations and possible extremes in humidity and string tension, I’m guessing the  EXCEPTIONS to the Gibson warranty would exclude a split of this nature.  
It is, of course,  hard to accept when you see guitars in pawn shops that were only $100 when new, 50 years ago- and they have no cracks. 

Edited by fortyearspickn

Gibson should give the OP an RM so he can sen$ it to Gibson and they at least look at the Guitar.. The OP has already stated if it wasn’t a Warranty repair he’d pay for it.. The OP is smart to do that.. If he has it repaired by Luthier XXX the Lifetime Warranty is void.. If Gibson repairs the Guitar it won’t void his Warranty.. 

Yes, Gibson Warranty does say for the “lifetime” of the Original purchaser… 

I bought a PreSonus V2 Monitor Controller a week ago.. Gibson now owns PreSonus. The manual is vague as to Setup, Calibration & tuning to your Room..

I Read the manual several times, watched You Tubes 50 times or more.. Still vague.. Particularly Calibrating it to my Recording System & my Room…

I called Gibson & talked to their PreSonus Tech Support guy.. He started out cocky! He had no clue how to resolve my issue.. He suggested I read the Manual.. And watch You Tubes.. I said I already did.. Then I asked him several questions.

Then out of the blue he said, If you know so much, why you calling me? Huh!!! Not exactly a positive experience & was left to try to figure it out on my own..

Edited by Larsongs

Too much agro - I have a great Luthier/tech and would just take it to him to fix...pay him and be done with it!

Warranty here is so dodgy....can’t be bothered. They don’t say WHEN they are gonna fix it.....come back in 10 years, they could say if you make a fuss.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BK777
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BK777 said:

Too much agro - I have a great Luthier/tech and would just take it to him to fix...pay him and be done with it!

You're not American.

We've been trained for the last few years to expect everything for nothing.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Murph said:

You're not American.

We've been trained for the last few years to expect everything for nothing.

Whereas we are further away than Mars and have been trained to pay through the nose for broken bits!  

Home repair super gluers.

Or pay the luthier/tech. (Usually does a great job, mine can smell a dodgy nut from across the room! Though I still wait for my 52 LG1 that was going to be ‘a week’.)

BluesKing777.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Hey man, I'm big into duct tape, super glue, flex tape, flex seal, sheet rock screws, and zip ties!

👍

Gaffa tape rules, eh?

Combine Gaffa with super glue, we can rule the universe. And hold Martin binding on.... And Gibson pickguards? Self repair guitars on Mars?

BluesKing777.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:36 AM, Larsongs said:

Depends on the Warranty.. And, how honest & credible the Company or Builder is.. 

If they don’t say lifetime…. No..

If they do say lifetime…. Yes.. It’s stated very clear.. 

Yes, but a crack forming on the top 7-½ years later is obviously not poor workmanship or materials, and try as I might to give the benefit of the doubt, the usual suspect is environment.  

There is no builder that would cover that as a legitimate materials flaw, but a few may repair out of goodwill.

Lifetime means Lifetime.. Period.. That shouldn’t be confusing?

Why are some here trying redefine that word?

Why wouldn’t Gibson want to provide excellent Customer Service for those who spend $Thousands on their Guitars???

The post Covid World has become very strange…………