Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

New Southern Jumbo 1942 Banner


Gibson29

Recommended Posts

I’m checking one out Friday, anyone else have thoughts on this particular model?  Have played the 36 J-35, 34 Jumbo, 36 AJ , and each one was exceptional, but shallow me wants the fretboard binding and shorter scale.  So the 25” Jumbo and 42 SJ are a toss up. 

While I’m sure a decision will made with a few challenges,   the Jumbo price is less so there’s that,  it’s great to hear other viewpoints.  A year ago I couldn’t have imagined laying out 4-5K on a single guitar.

Also, 20% is pretty unobtainable lately, is that a true statement?

Edited by Gibson29
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

A year ago I couldn’t have imagined laying out 4-5K on a single guitar.

But then something said click and when waking up everything was different, , , and you had to join this Board to find mirrors. 

                                                Welcome and best of luck regarding the new SJ. [thumbup]

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gibson29 changed the title to New Southern Jumbo 1942 Banner

I have a 2020 ‘42 SJ Banner. 
Things I like about-

I really like rosewood. The aged top gives it a true vintage sound. If blindfolded, I would think it was something from the 50’s, not the 40’s. 
I like the C shaped neck and the 1.77” nut

I like the redline case

After I got this guitar, I sold my 2010 J45 Legend

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Wonder how they differed. . 

The Legend was a very nice guitar. 
I preferred the sound of the aged spruce over rosewood and the smaller neck. I have guitars with larger and smaller necks and can adjust to them but as I age, I prefer somewhere in the middle and the  C shape with a nut somewhere around 1.75 seems to be that sweet spot. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on the specs I have seen, whether I would find a Historic Collection '42 SJ with its wider 1.77" nut and a neck depth running from 85" at the 1st fret to .90" at the 9th comfy is something I would not know until I held it in my hands as I have nothing in the house I could really compare it with.  

Edited by zombywoof
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What tuners are on this, and I saw the “period correct” case, and it strikes me as cheap, latches small, they unlatch the opposite of most cases, the neck support is floating, and there’s an auto lock latch you must unlatch last, kinda weird given the price of these.

But the tuners, what are they using?  No brand, fairly generic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

What tuners are on this, and I saw the “period correct” case, and it strikes me as cheap, latches small, they unlatch the opposite of most cases, the neck support is floating, and there’s an auto lock latch you must unlatch last, kinda weird given the price of these.

But the tuners, what are they using?  No brand, fairly generic.

Mine came with a redline case, not sure what they're using now.

When I attempted to adjust my truss rod it squeaked so I removed the nut and put a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil on the threads and that fixed the issue.

The tuners were cheap open geared singles. They looked nice but squeaked and popped when I used them. I bought a set of Waverly that were a drop-in fit. I did not change the bushings.

It's one of my favorite guitars.

42 SJ Banner

 

Tiger stripe

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dave F said:

Mine came with a redline case, not sure what they're using now.

When I attempted to adjust my truss rod it squeaked so I removed the nut and put a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil on the threads and that fixed the issue.

The tuners were cheap open geared singles. They looked nice but squeaked and popped when I used them. I bought a set of Waverly that were a drop-in fit. I did not change the bushings.

It's one of my favorite guitars.

42 SJ Banner

 

Tiger stripe

 

 

I like that rosewood SJ a lot. I've been thinking of moving my Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue along and springing for the rosewood SJ.  They actually look identical in details, but obviously differ in woods and neck profile,

Nut width on mine is 1.78", but I suspect the neck profiles are quite different.

I've got three mahogany slope Js, so I'm in a bit of a rut.

It will be that or a D-28. I've never had a Martin dreadnought.

Edited by j45nick
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, j45nick said:

I like that rosewood SJ a lot. I've been thinking of moving my Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue along and springing for the rosewood SJ.  They actually look identical in details, but obviously differ in woods and neck profile,

Nut width on mine is 1.78", but I suspect the neck profiles are quite different.

I've got three mahogany slope Js, so I'm in a bit of a rut.

It will be that or a D-28. I've never had a Martin dreadnought.

I played one of Martin’s 1939 Authentic D-18 at the shop with these historics, it was sublime, and even as a Martin fan, never said that about a Martin.  It was 6300.  My buddy thought it was actually a 1939, it looked it.

So, not sure exactly what these 2 companies actually do to get the timbre/tone/sound out of these lines, Authentic/Historic, because it isn’t just torrified wood, played plenty of those too.

Left with the 42 SJ on St. Pat’s and it’s an inspirational instrument.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

I played one of Martin’s 1939 Authentic D-18 at the shop with these historics, it was sublime, and even as a Martin fan, never said that about a Martin.  It was 6300.  My buddy thought it was actually a 1939, it looked it.

So, not sure exactly what these 2 companies actually do to get the timbre/tone/sound out of these lines, Authentic/Historic, because it isn’t just torrified wood, played plenty of those too.

Left with the 42 SJ on St. Pat’s and it’s an inspirational instrument.

I'm with you on the aging. I had a CS-D41-15. Besides being a work of art with the wood inlays, it had the aged top that sounded great.

I've had the SJ for a few years now and I'm still impressed with it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I'm with you on the aging. I had a CS-D41-15. Besides being a work of art with the wood inlays, it had the aged top that sounded great.

I've had the SJ for a few years now and I'm still impressed with it.

It’s a strange sound coming out of these, Martin A and Gibson H, that I don’t hear on other likewise great guitars.  I was seriously considering the ramification of bringing both guitars home.

I’ve got an 0-18 CS with a torrified top and sinker mahogany that sounds great, but not…that sound, yeah, it’s smaller, but the tone is pretty standard for it’s size.  Other guitars with the baked tops like the MD series don’t have that tone.  They’re very nice, very, but some alchemy is afoot in the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had an M2M L00 12 fret with the aged top made. It has that old dry sound. The luthier I use is no stranger to vintage instruments.  When he played it, he could not believe it was a new guitar. He kept picking it up and playing it and shaking his head.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I cannot speak to Martins as I have no frame of reference to go by, when it comes to Bozeman's assigning a specific year to a guitar, I cannot help but feel the dates they go with were pulled a random out of a hat.  What is even stranger is at times they could have laid a better claim to period correct specs (if that is your goal) by simply labeling the guitar with a different year.  So instead of going with a 1936 J35 simply switching to 1941 or 1942 would get you a whole lot closer to the mark.  Or swapping the date on the Historic Collection J200 from '57 to '50 would magically result in a model where the solid maple body and bracing scheme now make sense.  In the end though I do not think period accuracy is necessarily part of the Bozeman paybook. They have their own ideas as to what sounds and feels best.  What they offer up is some darn nice guitars at a price point which does not put them beyond the reach of mere mortals.  And that goal they achieve without breaking a sweat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, 1934jumbo said:

Sorry, to ask here as I like these guitars also, WITH a 1.77 wide nut what is the string spacing at the bridge?  Thanks; 1934jumbo

My SJ just measured 1.78” nut,  2.160” spacing at saddle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Looks like the ones I took off.

I thought they were some generic brand, but it turns out not to be the case.  They work fine, and judging from the company, seem like quality equal to Gotoh/Grover, so that’s one “complaint” addressed.  18:1 ratio, so very contemporary, just unfamiliar, y’know?

Now the case….eh, it’ll do.  Really inspiring sound on this.  I may even end up learning to play..

Edited by Gibson29
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

. . .

Now the case….eh, it’ll do.  Really inspiring sound on this.  I may even end up learning to play..

I usually look at cases as something to use around the house and when I sell guitars.

For traveling, I keep a few Calton and Hoffee cases that cover most of my guitars.

Here's the Calton for the jumbo and dread 16"

51956999066_0b4a03408a_b.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oddly, this discussion covers a number of new reissues of old guitars I own.  I have lots of actual vintage cases -- but when you take them out, you want a bit better protection.

36 AJ and red line case.

76dJu2u.jpg

cK66pNC.jpg

Dye05HG.jpg

BzBD6Uu.jpg

 

I have four 1935-1943 RW Gibson J Slopes, all of which can match the legendary power of the old Herrinbones and which IMHO can also match the Martins functionally.  They are just so rare for the most part, only a few people have gotten to play them.  The ones I have are:1935 RSRG;1936 AJ, 1940 RW J-55;and 1943 RW SJ.  None of the other Banners IME can match the 30s Gibsons for power, but my 35 Jumbo, 36 Trojan (J-35) and 37 RSSD can also!  All the RW from that period is Indian, which proves age and not RW species that is the most important factor.

35 RSRG, 36 AJ, 40 RW J-55, 43 RW SJ

MQiytfx.jpg

 

Here is the 1935 Jumbo and1936 Trojan (J-35)

NIwuiq9.jpg

Here are the 1935 RSRG and 1937 RSSD

0Uhak99.jpg

It is hard to explain how odd this is.  Most of these model were sort of historically forgotten -- but here we are.

Best,

-Tom

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, tpbiii said:

Oddly, this discussion covers a number of new reissues of old guitars I own.  I have lots of actual vintage cases -- but when you take them out, you want a bit better protection.

36 AJ and red line case.

 

 

 

 

 

I have four 1935-1943 RW Gibson J Slopes, all of which can match the legendary power of the old Herrinbones and which IMHO can also match the Martins functionally.  They are just so rare for the most part, only a few people have gotten to play them.  The ones I have are:1935 RSRG;1936 AJ, 1940 RW J-55;and 1943 RW SJ.  None of the other Banners IME can match the 30s Gibsons for power, but my 35 Jumbo, 36 Trojan (J-35) and 37 RSSD can also!  All the RW from that period is Indian, which proves age and not RW species that is the most important factor.

35 RSRG, 36 AJ, 40 RW J-55, 43 RW SJ

 

 

Here is the 1935 Jumbo and1936 Trojan (J-35)

 

Here are the 1935 RSRG and 1937 RSSD

 

It is hard to explain how odd this is.  Most of these model were sort of historically forgotten -- but here we are.

Best,

-Tom

 

And here I thought I was sort of unreasonable  to  want just one more..I appreciate not only that bevy of beauties you have there, but also the confirmation I’m not.

Cool you speak of hanging with the herringbones,  one of the first thoughts playing one of these “historics” was who needs a prewar Martin.  The store did have a 39 Authentic Aged D-18 that I felt was worthy to hang with these though.  6500US.  None of the other Ds had a compelling sound though.  Good idea to have at least one indestructible case.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...