Gibson Brands Forums

New Southern Jumbo 1942 Banner

Gibson29

And here I thought I was sort of unreasonable  to  want just one more..I appreciate not only that bevy of beauties you have there, but also the confirmation I’m not.

Cool you speak of hanging with the herringbones,  one of the first thoughts playing one of these “historics” was who needs a prewar Martin.  The store did have a 39 Authentic Aged D-18 that I felt was worthy to hang with these though.  6500US.  None of the other Ds had a compelling sound though.  Good idea to have at least one indestructible case

My late wife and I collected these over the past 40+ years -- as a retirement investment.  Not so much in the past 20 years.  We were bluegrass players and did the Martin thing first.  They will eventually go somewhere they can be studied -- my main career was as an acoustic DSP researcher. 

Both Martin and Gibson have sort of tried to recreate this past with varying degrees of success -- but no one has made it yet.

Best,

-Tom

• Thanks 1