Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Broadway? Any opinions / user experience

Kenny202

Firstly have had Sheratons and Emperors / Joe Pass and pretty unimpressed. To me very lifeless lack luster guitars. Do have a Chinese Riviera which I love but different animal all together with the mini hums.

I just play general country, soft rock etc....not a jazzer so Jazz tones not important for me. Just after a nice playing, nice sounding guitar.

Anyone have any experience or opinions? Much appreciated

I've had three Emperors I think. Beautiful workmanship but no personality at all. I preach against generalizing but I can't remember ever being impressed by a Korean guitar. Mine were all from the mid 90s. I've not played the newer Chinese ones. 

28 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I've had three Emperors I think. Beautiful workmanship but no personality at all. I preach against generalizing but I can't remember ever being impressed by a Korean guitar. Mine were all from the mid 90s. I've not played the newer Chinese ones. 

yeah funny you say that, I am exactly the same mind. Always nice solid and usually well made but never anything special sound wise or set up wise. The newer Chinese ones in my opinion far superior in every way. very good guitars. I have a question in with the seller at the moment as to where his is manufactured. Where they only made in Korea?

I really like the Peerless (Korean 90's) Broadways, but I'm coming from a mostly solidbody power pop machine world, not the jazz guitar world, which expects much more out of an instrument than I do. The Broadway's top resonates much better than the other Epi archtops IMHO... I think it's spruce or something, vs ply. But if you're coming from something with a more resonant top, unencumbered  by things like pickups stifling the resonance, then you might not like it. And it's possible I jsut got lucky with a good one... it is one of 40 made in Ebony finish, so I got lucky with that already!