Gibson Brands Forums

Equinox : Any Brits remember this from 1987 ?

80LPC

With a Squier Strat worth $140 he could play pretty much anything he liked.

What message does that convey to us lot?

Practice more, I suppose?

As to the actual question in the topic; I remember not liking the group 'It Bites' but I can't remember why not. 'Small-Minded-Blues-Purist-Snob' at the time? Probably.

That was great. Good band. Sort of a YES like vibe. I take it they're not together any more?

It Bites are still around' date=' but with a different line up. Francis Dunnery seems to play acoustic ballads nowadays - I remember reading that he thought his playing in It Bites was just a bunch of tricks strung together. I thought this was bizarre. He had a great technique, and the band were good live. They got a lot of airplay in the UK with 'Calling all the heroes', but they were in a kind of no mans land between prog and pop.

With a Squier Strat worth $140 he could play pretty much anything he liked.

What message does that convey to us lot?

That guitar is an early JVM (Japanese vintage model) Squire. £100 would have been a second hand price. They were built to a high standard. Fender USA sent blueprints to the Japanese factory, and when they inspected their output, they were embarassed to find they were superior to US built guitars. I'm sure you can recall pippy, that these could be bought very cheap in the '80s and early '90s. Quality nosedived when they switched to plywood bodies. I should have bought a couple of those JVMs when I had the chance. The early ones had American pickups as standard.

Archived