Gibson Brands Forums

Can you play Lead Guitar and sing at the same time?

Singing while playing guitar?

Rhythm = yes

Lead = No way! Not even close.

You improvise a lot, don't you Holmz? Just pick a song you're very comfortable with, concentrate on singing, and trust your hands to improv without you.

I did it first on White Room, I was singing and playing the rhythm for all three verses, but it was sounding kind of boring by the third verse, so I started letting my left hand do a little lead fills at the turn around. Now, i just blaze a whole Wah Wah drenched lead for the third verse and let the Bass hold the the rhythm. It's actually easier than playing a complex rhythm and singing at the same time.

Did it for one band in the 90's I felt as if I sang half a$$ and played guitar half a$$. So nether were up to my potential.

Arithmetically speaking this means you add up to a total a$$.....................

Or is that what you meant?

Piece o' cake. I've never found it difficult to sing and play an instrument; drums, keys or guitar. I never thought about it being difficult. That is until I got my bass and was told by a friend that singing and playing bass is more difficult than most instruments. (I should think it would be less difficult than singing while playing violin, anyway) Still learning bass but have decided to practice singing while playing bass, just to see if it's any more of a challenge than anything else.

Archived