Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod Adjustment

BIGBENDS

Hey again, lover's of Gibson. The past few weeks, with the weather getting warmer, I've been giving my guitars the TLC treatment and ran into a problem with the V. I haven't played this guitar much because when I bought it, it played like sheeeet, but I've slowly been getting it in playing condition.

If you remember my post regarding the sharp fret ends on this guitar a couple of months ago, well, I remedied that. I checked the neck relief on this V and found it to be bowed a bit too much. I decided to straighten it and then give it a slighter relief. While taking off the TRC screws I said to myself "How am I gonna get this huge thing out from under the strings?"

It's between a rock and a hard place. Any suggestions from those of you with experience with a Gibson V? The wrench doesn't fit with the TRC loose, so I need to get it out of there. Thanks in advance.

PS: Note the badly set nut in the photo. It plays OK, but it's way off center. :-

DSCF2767.jpg

Thanks Crossroadsnyc. At first I loosened the D & G strings and popped them out of their nut slots. Still not enough room to pull out the TRC, so I loosened the A & B strings as well and popped them out of their slots and that was enough to get the cover out.

OK. So I got the strings back up to tension (440) and adjusted the truss rod. While adjusting it I heard a "SNAP' and the truss nut came off with the wrench. Is that bad?

Just joking. All done with the truss rod adjustment without a "snap". This brings up a new question. Now I need to reverse the process to get the TRC back in place; loosen A, D, G & B strings again and then retune when I'm finished. Will loosening the strings again have an adverse affect on the truss adjustment I just did?

Pippy, I was talking about the nut that holds the strings, not the truss rod nut. Gibson placed the string nut off center towards the bass side of the neck. There's actually about 1/8 of empty space near the high E side and the nut hangs over about the same amount on the low E side. Come on Gibson!! #@$$%^)(*&^%$#!

I can't say for sure, man ... that's just the way I do it when I need to remove the trc for adjustments. I haven't had a problem w/it going out of whack though, and I just loosen them as much as needed to just slip it over to the side. I'd say that provided you don't take them off then the tension should be just fine if you ease into it.

Just a thought. May want to keep the TRC off for at least a day so the neck can adjust to the truss rod adjustment. Then after a day check the relief again and if it has not changed you should be good to go with regards to loosening the strings to put the TRC back on.

Just a thought. May want to keep the TRC off for at least a day so the neck can adjust to the truss rod adjustment. Then after a day check the relief again and if it has not changed you should be good to go with regards to loosening the strings to put the TRC back on.

Great advice Tom. Thank you. I hadn't gone as far as to put the TRC on yet, but I was going to. It's a good thing I came back to find your post. O:)

Pippy' date=' I was talking about the nut that holds the strings, not the truss rod nut. Gibson placed the string nut off center towards the bass side of the neck. There's actually about 1/8 of empty space near the high E side and the nut hangs over about the same amount on the low E side. Come on Gibson!! #@$$%^)(*&^%$#![/quote']

When you take out the strings does it fall? If so then the reason it's off centre is the higher tension of the 4th 5th and 6th strings... happened to one of my guitars once... those fu.kers at fender QC hadnt glued (or whatever) it propperly, just take it out, clean the mess, and super glue it in the correct position (unless you don't mind it eing off centre)

When you take out the strings does it fall? If so then the reason it's off centre is the higher tension of the 4th 5th and 6th strings... happened to one of my guitars once... those fu.kers at fender QC hadnt glued (or whatever) it propperly' date=' just take it out, clean the mess, and super glue it in the correct position (unless you don't mind it eing off centre)[/quote']

Yeah, I see what your saying, TG. It sucks having it so far off center, but it doesn't budge. Whoever glued the dammmed thing in there was hung over from a night of heavy drinking and cross eyed. There is no excuse for this lazy workmanship. When I first got the guitar, the low E also kept slipping out of the nut. They had barely score the nut enough to hold the E in place, but as soon as I strummed the guitar, it slide right out. I fixed that and then I noticed how far the nut was off center, but it's definitely glued in. I'll fix the nut placement in time. Sooner or later I'll get the V to be a player.

It's amazing to me that a company such as Gibson could overlook details like this. #$^&@^*%#@!

Archived