Gibson Brands Forums

Strange looking end-pin

bjreddragon

I'm in the process of buying a used LP junior DC faded from Japan.

The guitar tech sent me a photo of the end pin because he thought it looked "unnatural".

Anyone want to shed some light on what has happened here? I don't think an end pin should be counter sunk like that.

What do y'all think? And....should it affect my decision to buy?

IMG_0108.jpg

yeah - it's strange.. do you have any other pictures of the overall guitar to go along with it?

I have a feeling that anything we'd come up with would be a guess. It looks like the screw is newer/shinier than the strap button too. what year is the guitar?

It's a 2006 model.

The purchase will be from Ishibashi, so I'm not worried about the authenticity of the guitar.

I've asked for some more photos, will post them when they arrive.

I live in Beijing, so it's pretty easy and economical to order from Japan.

Thanks for your reply.

The screw end looks stripped to me. Looks like someone intentionally overtightened it and stripped the screw end in the process.

The other red flag is that the wood hasn't been sealed or sanded down. Looks like cheap wood that was spray painted. You can see the pores in the wood and even some cut marks. There is no way this is a Gibson that was sprayed white. A gibson body is smooth as a baby's bottom.

The other red flag is that the wood hasn't been sealed or sounded down. Looks like cheap wood that was spray painted. You can see the pores in the wood and even some cut marks. There is no way this is a Gibson that was sprayed white. A gibson body is smooth as a baby's bottom.

Here's a shot of my 2008 Les Paul Nashville Junior from the Guitar of the Week series. The finish is Faded White' date=' but I refer to it as "Liquid Paper White"...

The last shot shows part of the neck tenon under the pickguard. That's why you see some [i']really[/i] rough wood.

jr01.jpg

jr02.jpg

jr03.jpg

jr03b.jpg

Here are some more pics of the LP Junior DC. I've been told that the faded finish should look distressed. I'm living in China but buying the guitar from Ishibashi in Japan. I bought my 69 mustang re-issue and my 62 tele re-issue from them and was very pleased. I've never bought anything used from them before. I'm starting to question whether I should buy a used guitar without test driving it.

LP Jr

LP JR

LP JR

LP JR

LP JR

LP JR

Some of you referred to it as looking spray painted. Is it really that gnarly?

My 2 cents' date=' but doesnt that hole look too perfect to be a result of a drop on its end?...too round, like it was drilled that way.[/quote']

I thought it looked far too neat as well. The wood isn't even slightly rounded at the edges, which is what one would expect to see.

Still, might be a really nice player.

Archived