Gibson Brands Forums

Words and chords to a Johnny Cash song? Need Help!!

onewilyfool

Guys and Gals.....I used to know a song by JC that I learned years ago, but for the life of me, I can't remember the title or the rest of the words to the song.....It starts like this ( I think )

"Six foot six, he stood on the ground

Weighed two hundred and forty five pounds,

But I saw that giant of a man brought down

In the name of love!"

Would appreciate any help....Wily

Except for the last line, it sounds like "Big John" about a good sized miner who saves his commrades during a cave-in, but himself perished. No lyrics about the "L" word that I recall.

Could it be a spoof on "Big John" like "Chicken In Black"?

You might try posting it on Johnnycash.com I used to lurk there, but God as my witness, I don't know why I haven't been back in more'n a year. Maybe I'd better take a peek this weekend.

I listened to it on you tube. That is a very hard song to sing. It is a perfect Johnny Cash song because he could do that kind of thing. Kind of half song and half chant .. very odd song to sing. Hard to do it right. Several of the You Tube entries flop (not Cash). There is always a serach for good material (good material). One thing I have found to be true is that anywhere on earth -- incredible -- you start singing Hank Williams and most of them know it and everyone likes it. Greece, the Paris Airport, anywhere in the US por Mexico, any age group, any ethnic group -- Cheatin Heart, Cold Cold Heart, Jambalaya, So Lonesome, Hey Good Lookin, I Can't Help It --- very few people do not know them or wont sing them. Cash's Walk the Line, Folsom Prison Blues, Ring of Fire --same. [so like these are songs you grab when you are off-agenda and somebody wants a song] In SOME circles ONLY .. Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, Elvis songs. Gordon Lightfoot -- one or two. 70's folk songs (PPM, S&G, Dylan.

You "get" the greatness of the special performers (not all are great singers -- performers) when you realize how difficult it is to imitate them. Cash, Louis Prima, Sinatra -- all one of a kind and all different. Hank Williams died at 29 y.o. -- incredible legacy of music -- simple and yet to close to your soul. There are lots of beautiful singers and excellent musicians (that's a challenge too). But then there are "the few" -- one-of-a-kind. Presley was one of a kind (right up until he died). Chet Atkins. Not that many of them. (So many are "guitar" people)(Gibson people).

My favorite Johnny Cash Acoustic solo song?

"Delia's Gone"

Oh yea......

Murph.

Murph, I don't think Delia's really gone. It says that he's in his jail cell still listening to her footsteps walking around. That tells me she's not gone. He'll never be able to get away from her. She's gonna haunt him forever now.

My favorite Cash song, was one of the last he put into an album, 'When the Man Comes Around.' Sends shivvvvers up my spine.

I was looking for a video/recording of "Rose of My Heart". There's several on YouTube. One is of "The Man", Cash, himself singing it behind a rose themed slide show. Judging by his difficulty in getting any vocal range and just getting the words out it sounds like it was recorded in the very, very late winter of his life. He was known to show up at the Carter Family Fold, in the remaining months of his life, quite unannounced. I get the sense this might have been recorded there as an impromptu performance. I also get a sense he was singing it to his recently deceased wife June.

I cried.

Murph' date=' I don't think Delia's really gone. It says that he's in his jail cell still listening to her footsteps walking around. That tells me she's not gone. He'll never be able to get away from her. She's gonna haunt him forever now.[/quote']

That's how good he was..... As a writer, and actually, as a guitarist. The American Recordings solo acoustic CD is one of my favorites.

I love solo acoustic stuff.

Archived