Gibson Brands Forums

What should I do with it? An old Console Gibson Grande

Hi everyone, I recently came into possession of an old Console Gibson Grande that belonged to my wife's grandfather. Unfortunately, it was stored in an old shed on the ground and has termite damage.

I believe it can be restored if a lot of work is put into it, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice on what steps I should take to restore this guitar.

Any tips on how to deal with termite damage and what repairs might be necessary would be greatly appreciated.

I have an image of the damaged side of my guitar, and I think the wood needs to be removed and replaced before being re-laminated. However, I'm not entirely sure how to take it apart since it appears to be a box-like structure with few screws on the bottom and everything installed on top.

Although I have some experience with electronics, such as fixing switches, pots, and pickups, I am not confident in my woodworking abilities.

What would be the best course of action for me to take with this guitar?

Thank you in advance!

two.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well that's a project and a half. 

All termites need to be removed. Remove all damaged wood. If replacing wood, make a minimal clean cut into 'good' wood for joining. Where damage is superficial, filler could be used. All replacement wood must be fully seasoned / heat treated.

Good luck.

• 8 months later...