Gibson Brands Forums

Standard vs 335 tonal characteristics/pickups

Plandros

Hello all,

I currently own a Gibson ES-335 with 57' classics and a 2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's Iced Tea. I am really enjoying the tone of both guitars but in particular the 335. It seems to be a bit brighter and fuller at the same time. I was wondering if anyone could confirm if this tonal change is inherent to the sound of semi-hollow body guitars? Are they generally brighter than the Standard solidbody counterparts? For some reason I would have thought that the the Es-335 would have been darker or muddier than a standard. Or would it be the 57' classics which are just brighter and fuller sounding than the 60's pickups? Basically I'm just wondering if swapping in 57 classics into my standard would get me closer to the sound of my 335. Thanks !

For what its worth.

I have 57 classics in two Gibsons built the same year.

They are a LP and a 339. They both sound great. The differences are what you might expect. There is a commonality of tone, but a distinct difference nevertheless. The 339 has that subtle richness you get from laminate hollow/semi hollow models, and its also slightly warmer than the LP. 

• 2 weeks later...

I actually find the opposite. My LP is a 2019 Standard '50s with the BB1 and BB2 pups. My 335 is a 2018 with the MHS pups and it's a bit warmer than the LP. I don't know if the wiring scheme is modern or vintage in the 335. The LP is '50s wired and so the tone controls are very interactive with the volume controls. Not so much with the 335 - way more subtle. Both have their place and both are excellent for what they are.

On 4/25/2023 at 10:40 PM, Plandros said:

Hello all,

I currently own a Gibson ES-335 with 57' classics and a 2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's Iced Tea. I am really enjoying the tone of both guitars but in particular the 335. It seems to be a bit brighter and fuller at the same time. I was wondering if anyone could confirm if this tonal change is inherent to the sound of semi-hollow body guitars? Are they generally brighter than the Standard solidbody counterparts? For some reason I would have thought that the the Es-335 would have been darker or muddier than a standard. Or would it be the 57' classics which are just brighter and fuller sounding than the 60's pickups? Basically I'm just wondering if swapping in 57 classics into my standard would get me closer to the sound of my 335. Thanks !

Plandros,

You haven't identified what pickups you have in your LP. I'm Guessing Burstbuckers. There's a few comparisons made here, but it would be useful to know what you are comparing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2022 Gibson les paul classic it sounds really good. But is there anywsy I can get more puch out of the pickups. How far can you lower the bridge pickup and it still works for the guitar? Would that give it more punch because they are bright msybe take some of that away but how?

The capacitor on the tone controls make a difference on how deep the pot reacts. Humbuckings usually use .22uf to .33uf, 22 being shallower less likely to turn to mud.  On my P90’s I use .33uf to .47uf that allow for a deeper tone response that P90’s handle before turning to mud. I actually use tone controls quite frequently with my P90’s.

Edited by mihcmac

I have a 50s Standard LP with Burstbuckers1/2 and an ES-335 with T-Tops. Both were bought new. The LP sound is gorgeous and imposing at all frequencies. The ES is much brighter and after some 9 months has mellowed slighlty to get that same sound I hear on recordings of pros (Freddie King, for example). So both guitars have incredibly great sounds, but way different & similar at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 2:36 PM, Obliviousme said:

I have a 2022 Gibson les paul classic it sounds really good. But is there anywsy I can get more puch out of the pickups. How far can you lower the bridge pickup and it still works for the guitar? Would that give it more punch because they are bright msybe take some of that away but how?

See tips in the thread linked above. 

The pic is a bit misleading, just read the thread. 

Edited by Pinch