Gibson Brands Forums

Effects Loop

Flight959

Guys,

I was kindly lent a Marshall Guvnor pedal (The old Black one). It has a LOOP socket on the back. Now if I connect it to my effects loop in my Amp is it just 1 cable from the pedal to the Amp.... In other words do I just connect the guitar to the amp as per normal if im using the loop

Im a total Nooooooooooooooob!

Flight959

Guys' date='

I was kindly lent a Marshall Guvnor pedal (The old Black one). It has a LOOP socket on the back. Now if I connect it to my effects loop in my Amp is it just 1 cable from the pedal to the Amp.... In other words do I just connect the guitar to the amp as per normal if im using the loop

Im a total Nooooooooooooooob!

Flight959[/quote']

I Guess. =P~

No! It's for using the Guv'nor to run a loop of your other effects pedals that you can switch in and out...

LOOP JACK - The FX loop output allows linking to to other pedals using an optional "Y" cable, with the Guv'nor acting as the master switch for the whole effects chain. The "Y" cable needed is a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) 1/4" type at one end, splitting into a pair of mono 1/4" cables at the other.

The magic of Google!

No! It's for using the Guv'nor to run a loop of your other effects pedals that you can switch in and out...

LOOP JACK - The FX loop output allows linking to to other pedals using an optional "Y" cable' date=' with the Guv'nor acting as the master switch for the whole effects chain. The "Y" cable needed is a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) 1/4" type at one end, splitting into a pair of mono 1/4" cables at the other.

The magic of Google! [/quote']

+1

Always the correct answer, I'm begining to suspect you and Rich are the same guy...:-

Hey Flight, an original Guv'nor eh? You lucky SOB! =P~ (even if it's a loaner!)

+1

Always the correct answer' date=' I'm begining to suspect you and Rich are the same guy...:D

Hey Flight, an original Guv'nor eh? You lucky SOB! =D> (even if it's a loaner!)[/quote']

Yeah Thunder, I had the chance to get it a while ago when the thread about them was here. Why are the original ones better than the new ones?

Flight959

From what I remember reading online and listening from a frineds original guv'nor (have never had the oportunity to try one myself and change the settings and stuff) the original had les gain and a little brighter tone. I think it might be just the hype, but people treat it like it's some kind of holy grail =P~ maybe because it was made in england and the new guvnor is made in china.

TG: I've never tried a Guvnor but some pedals just work better than others and overdrive pedals are probably the most "mystical" of them all. For all I know, I might be really missing out by having never checked one out or it might be just another pedal that received cult status but would never really work for me except in possibly in limited ways much like the '79 MXR Distortion + and '86 ProCo Rat I own. Those two are cool for some stuff but definitely not something I'd use for my meat and potatoes tone. Actually, the Distortion + is awesome with a Strat for a bright distortion/fuzz tone but I just haven't found a song where I need that tone... yet.

Archived