Gibson Brands Forums

Stolen Guitars

Thomasford

On 5/2/2023 at 5:13 PM, sparquelito said:

Someone stole our sons utility trailer in back behind the garage. It was there in the morning when we left and there when we came home that day. So the car must have pulled in, hooked it up and took it in broad daylight.  We can't see it from our house where it sat. They got a few blocks away and dumped it to 4 flat tires. Lol.  The police found it and put it in their compound. Our son went to get it but they said, $285.00 to get it out.  He told them to keep it because he didn't want it anymore. We didn't want it either and between my wife and him it was full of junk. I'm glad its gone!

• Like 1

Well, I've never been lucky enough to have somebody steal or total a car I wanted to get rid of but not for cheap or free.  They all preferred to steal or total the cars I wanted to keep.  [cursing]

Good move Butch, in not keeping anything valuable in that trailer.

Whitefang

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Well, I've never been lucky enough to have somebody steal or total a car I wanted to get rid of but not for cheap or free.  They all preferred to steal or total the cars I wanted to keep.  [cursing]

Good move Butch, in not keeping anything valuable in that trailer.

Whitefang

Back in 1966, we did a show with Chuck Berry in San Francisco .... when the show was over our lead guitarist's 1963 Sunburst Strat was stolen from our van.

He replaced it with a Gretsch Country Gentleman... but...I can't IMAGINE what that Strat is worth now!

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Back in 1966, we did a show with Chuck Berry in San Francisco .... when the show was over our lead guitarist's 1963 Sunburst Strat was stolen from our van.

He replaced it with a Gretsch Country Gentleman... but...I can't IMAGINE what that Strat is worth now!

When I was a toddler, My parents bought me a Lionel Train set. It had  steam coming out the stack, Lit up and sounds. Had 3 tracks, one in the middle. large scale. When it got close to my marriage, I gave it away.  No idea Those R.R. cars and Locomotive would be so expensive to buy now. I had that Doge Colt race car and my partner sold it behind my back Plus a Hemi and another motor that was all mine and not his.  I lost over $45,000.00 or more. 

The day he told me was when I went out to his place to try out a new gun. It was a farm, I bought a Smith & Wesson nickel plated .45 Colt with a 10" barrel. I think he thought I was going to shoot him. The Colt was an all 4130 chrome molly tube frame with a 12 point cage. Very light with aluminum floor and fiberglass and plexiglass.    I can't lie and say the thought didn't enter my mind though, Lol.

8 hours ago, Retired said:

When I was a toddler, My parents bought me a Lionel Train set. It had  steam coming out the stack, Lit up and sounds. Had 3 tracks, one in the middle. large scale. When it got close to my marriage, I gave it away.  No idea Those R.R. cars and Locomotive would be so expensive to buy now. I had that Doge Colt race car and my partner sold it behind my back Plus a Hemi and another motor that was all mine and not his.  I lost over $45,000.00 or more. 

The day he told me was when I went out to his place to try out a new gun. It was a farm, I bought a Smith & Wesson nickel plated .45 Colt with a 10" barrel. I think he thought I was going to shoot him. The Colt was an all 4130 chrome molly tube frame with a 12 point cage. Very light with aluminum floor and fiberglass and plexiglass.    I can't lie and say the thought didn't enter my mind though, Lol.

Something that happened to me back in 1966.  

I was working in a music store.... one day I saw a gold top Les Paul in the broom closet....I asked the boss what it was there for.   He said he'd taken it in on trade....gave the guy $13 for it.    I told him I'd buy it for $13....but couldn't pay him until next payday.

When payday came, I got $13 and went to the broom closet to get it, (no case, and was 'well-played"....but STILL and old Les Paul Gold Top!)....and it was gone....

Went to the boss and asked where the Les Paul was...he told me he sold it to Barry, (my friend and our Lead Guitarist).... he said he didn't know I was serious about buying it.

I asked Barry about it recently....he said he sold it without ever doing anything to it.... he couldn't recall how much he got for it, but it was in the THOU$AND$!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Something that happened to me back in 1966.  

I was working in a music store.... one day I saw a gold top Les Paul in the broom closet....I asked the boss what it was there for.   He said he'd taken it in on trade....gave the guy $13 for it.    I told him I'd buy it for $13....but couldn't pay him until next payday.

When payday came, I got $13 and went to the broom closet to get it, (no case, and was 'well-played"....but STILL and old Les Paul Gold Top!)....and it was gone....

Went to the boss and asked where the Les Paul was...he told me he sold it to Barry, (my friend and our Lead Guitarist).... he said he didn't know I was serious about buying it.

I asked Barry about it recently....he said he sold it without ever doing anything to it.... he couldn't recall how much he got for it, but it was in the THOU$AND$!

WOW! Such a shame.  So close and gone. I have one for you. I have a Gold Top Standard. It was new and untouched as far as I could tell. One day I walked into Guitar Center and they had a Gibson Gold Top in the used section. I looked it over and thought it was a Standard.  No signs of being played, no scratches, the fret board showed no signs of marks. I asked the counter guy and he didn't know the story of it. They said it was a 2015 but it was much older. I called Gibson customer service and they told me about it. It was a Standard, and sold new from Gibson in 2007 for $3,045.00 and Guitar Center sold it to me used with a sale price for $1,017.00. I took it out and put it in my SUV when a sales guy ran out to try and buy it back from me. The guy had to honor the price tag on the guitar and I talked to him what I thought it was. Turned out, a new employee made a mistake hanging it on the used wall. It came from another guitar shop who had it on the wall high up and couldn't sell it. Sat there for years so GC sold it cheap. They found their error and wanted it back. Chased me down but I smiled and said, "NO SALE!" 

Always wanted a Gibson since I was 13 taking guitar lessons but couldn't afford one. I picked this one up after retiring from the RailRoad. Sort of my retirement present LOl. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Retired said:

WOW! Such a shame.  So close and gone. I have one for you. I have a Gold Top Standard. It was new and untouched as far as I could tell. One day I walked into Guitar Center and they had a Gibson Gold Top in the used section. I looked it over and thought it was a Standard.  No signs of being played, no scratches, the fret board showed no signs of marks. I asked the counter guy and he didn't know the story of it. They said it was a 2015 but it was much older. I called Gibson customer service and they told me about it. It was a Standard, and sold new from Gibson in 2007 for $3,045.00 and Guitar Center sold it to me used with a sale price for $1,017.00. I took it out and put it in my SUV when a sales guy ran out to try and buy it back from me. The guy had to honor the price tag on the guitar and I talked to him what I thought it was. Turned out, a new employee made a mistake hanging it on the used wall. It came from another guitar shop who had it on the wall high up and couldn't sell it. Sat there for years so GC sold it cheap. They found their error and wanted it back. Chased me down but I smiled and said, "NO SALE!" 

Always wanted a Gibson since I was 13 taking guitar lessons but couldn't afford one. I picked this one up after retiring from the RailRoad. Sort of my retirement present LOl. 

What a story!   Do you still have it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

What a story!   Do you still have it?

The Gold Top? Yes. My wife said if I die before her, She would give it to Willie who is the pastor of the music program at our church. He has some nice guitars. Gibson, Martin, Fender. 

My son doesn't really play.

Just now, Retired said:

The Gold Top? Yes. My wife said if I die before her, She would give it to Willie who is the pastor of the music program at our church. He has some nice guitars. Gibson, Martin, Fender. 

My son doesn't really play.

I never got my son to play either....but he has 3 kids and I'm hoping at least one of them will play guitar, mandolin, violin or piano.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I never got my son to play either....but he has 3 kids and I'm hoping at least one of them will play guitar, mandolin, violin or piano.

Same here except we have 2 grandkids. I just took over 2 guitars to give them. Reagan wanted my Surf Green Jaguar and Grayson wanted my Streamline Red Gretsch. There a bit to small yet but I thought if they see them everyday, it would inspire them to learn. I told them both I would start off helping them to play. We bought them both Ukuleles and John says they both play them a lot. Grayson makes songs up on his. 

4 minutes ago, Retired said:

Same here except we have 2 grandkids. I just took over 2 guitars to give them. Reagan wanted my Surf Green Jaguar and Grayson wanted my Streamline Red Gretsch. There a bit to small yet but I thought if they see them everyday, it would inspire them to learn. I told them both I would start off helping them to play. We bought them both Ukuleles and John says they both play them a lot. Grayson makes songs up on his. 

I wouldn't mind a surf green Jag!  

My grandkids are still VERY small....oldest will be 6 in July and the middle will be 5 in November....then the baby will be 3 in February.....too young to even think about playing instruments.

• Like 1