Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at a 60's Reissue J-50 - what is a Unitone Finish?

J50ADJMAN

I do not know how Gibson is using it but generally Unitone refers to a subdued or faded finish.  So, in a natural top I would think the finish might be Bozeman's version of an antique natural.  You might have to wait for the Pros from Dover to chime in on this one.   And as far as I know Bozeman sprays only nitro lacquer finishes.  

Edited by zombywoof

I think it'll be more fun to let this thread evolve into the same caring, concerned and brilliant commentary as all of the other threads with people giving advice, opinions and non-facts about the original post, the poster and life in general.

• Haha 1

Have had a 60's J-50 re-issue for a couple years and really happy with it. Nitro finish looks great. Awhile ago you started another thread about this model and I posted a long response. Then the whole thread (apparently) vanished. Did you also delete that one?

Edited by Boyd

5 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

FYI…. The OP is actually me.  I asked the question at work, and couldn’t figure out my sign-in. I’ll cancel the name when I get to work, because now I can’t remember THAT sign-in. Good times.

I emailed Don Ruffatto, and he answered my question.

”It's a historic finish that darkens the Mahogany but still allows the wood grain to show thru. Lighter not as opaque as our Tobacco found on the Modern J-45's”

I’ll delete the thread when I get to work.

I have seen cabinet makers who describe the finish they apply as Unitone.  And from what you have learned it sounds like that his how Gibson is using it meaning a slightly weathered look where particularly the end grain shows through.   Kind of an aging toner so say a fresh from the factory natural top guitar does not look so "white."

Edited by zombywoof

It becomes important to state that the original poster in fact is me. I posted it under pseudonym due to the neither fish nor bird content. 

I'd like to keep the thread as monument to not-fish-nor-bird themes. 

Thx in advance 

P.S. - You should have seen my old Landola. It had a matt-gloss Finnish finish so stunning that one couldn't finish looking at it.