Gibson Brands Forums

Trade - in dealers policies

marco mancini

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think I told him that too. But he doesn't want to hear it. He just wants $2500 for his Rick Beato DC LP.  It works the same way with any product. Companies in business that sell products don't just ship stuff to stores, and say sell it for us, and get us the cash to us when you can.  Its like buying on Amazon. If you don't use some way to pay them do they ship what you ordered, N O P E.

Come  on dear Pepper do not turn around  the pizza !   i didn't say that i want 2500 euros to trade in the guitar  i want a fair estimate  of a mint  new guitar  before  the purchase of a gibson custom estimated at a cost of 7200 euros ,   if the dealer says that the guitar was sold at 1610 euros   which is absolutely not true  that means  that he 's ready to trade in this guitar for 1200 euros  which is totally absurd  for it is now on the market at 3000 bucks ! 

question  ; for how much  he will  re-sell this guitar?   if  he puts  this guitar out at 1600 euros  he should  looks like bonkers to me ! 

@marco mancini this forum although owned by Gibson is Only a fan forum 

Gibson doesn’t check here for any comments 

the admins delete post when they deem necessary, 

did I say were only a group of Gibson guitar owners here?

Gibson does not care what their dealers do,

Gibson only wants dealers to pay their bills

its immaterial what your guitar on the used market is to a dealer

could they give you $1200 for it and put it for sale at $3500 or $3000 or even $10,000?

sure that’s their choice, 

you can’t dictate what the dealer profit margin is or will be

you want what you call a fair price

you sell it and combine that with other money to buy your dream guitar 

Oh man, I’ve seen this kind of rant over and over on these forums. It’s like the people who post these kind of things were born yesterday. At least this wasn’t a GC thread, because they openly advertise that you are getting about 60% of the money that they sell your used guitar for. At least that was what they said a few years ago… I just sell my gear myself because it’s what I found works best for me. I don’t trade or sell to “dealers”. I also deal with more stuff to some extent to facilitate a sale, but is what it is. I bought it for X dollars somewhere - on me. I don’t want a guitar anymore - again, on me. Seems like this one is on the OP too…

1 hour ago, Farnsbarns said:

Interestingly there's a mint example on Reverb right now for £1900. If he sold it for that he'd have to pay £380 in vat. On that basis the most he's likely to get out of it is £1520, and that's before any over heads. Maybe Marco doesn't understand that businesses have to make money on a trade in.

I'm an American what the hell is VAT? I assume some sort of tax.

21 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Gibson does not care what their dealers do,

Well that means  that at  DAIMLER BENZ  they don't care of what  Mercedes dealers  do ?......   or  you know  at  TESLA  they do not give a damn on the commercial policies  of their dealers .

I have  a TESLA  with 1000 miles on the clock   and i want a  new model  and want to  trade in mine  the vendors  says ...... well i coundn't care less  of your car and your money .

come on  don't make me laugh !

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He may be right, but it appears he will not be getting his way. A hissy fit or tantrum in the store might just do the trick though. 

Pepper  i don't know in the States  but in Italy  they do not have the basic knowledge on how to sell guitars , and that is why  you see the same gibson guitars  stuck on the wall over and over again , nobody  wants to buy when you enter in a shop and the store clerk  is rude  or with a stiff upper lip , or  do not come  over to say  hello may i help you   sir ,with a smile .

if You have  the Gibson licence  to sell their guitars  which are on average at 3500 bucks , you must be knowledgable and trained  on that job . 

51 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

My wife's over there in Italy now.  Third generation Italian immigrant.  By the time Marco gets through dealing with her, he'll lose everything and like it.

3rd generation Italian immigrant means she is like me  - an American.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Marco, why not open a Guitar Shop and run it the right way, and see how fun and easy it is? I'll bet its not. Bills, employees, merchandise, shipping stuff, receiving stuff etc. And then there is always those pesky things called customers who what everything handed to them on a plate.  

Dear Pepper  , i see that you are a Gibson PR  with some assignment in the company ,   but you are right ,  before  i buy a les paul custom shop for 7000 k ,  you ought to tell me the exact day it arrives , the badge number on the headstock , the  name of the luthier  who puts together the guitar , and an up to date feedback on the stages of  construction , after that i could sign  the contract   and give you a deposit .

the era of  giving a  deposit  to a Gibson dealer  without knowing  anything for a year  and maybe  receiving  a faulted guitar should be put to an end ,  being you a Gibson P.r.  you could report this  to those people in the office , all right ? 

Fai il bravo dai ! 🙏

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ask anyone here, I'm a Martin guy. I sold every Gibson I owned when Gibson had to oust Henry J (now two CEO's ago).  All your moaning is getting you nothing. Gibson is not going to come to the town you live in and make that store meet your price demands. Gibson ships guitar to stores when they are ordered and paid for. They are now the stores property and can do what they want with them, sell, destroy, give away, whatever, but you have no say what the store must give you for a trade. You and the store talk it out. And if the store doesn't not want to pay you what you want, well they don't have to. Are you not finding this out with your current experience? You just are not getting it are you.

Here is an idea. Sell the Rick Beato guitar yourself. You might get more that what that store wants to give you. Then since you must have the Lira or Euros you can buy that really expensive LP.

Oh gosh ,..... Well if you are Martin  guy you  should ask them why on earth  you pay 3500 bucks for an american built  Standard series 0018  to have a guitar  that when changes continent is inflating itself like a ball  with bindings getting unstuck everywhere,   and why a less expensive  Mexican  model  is much more reliable , but you know that is another pair of trousers .

as far as the rick beato i sold it privately  for 2600 euro , of course the collateral damage for gibson  is that i will never get back there  to order  a  LP custom  ,  if these  are   their commercial  policies  they can keep their guitars stuck on the wall .

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

3rd generation Italian immigrant means she is like me  - an American.

Being a 3rd generation Italian immigrant means she's a third generation Italian immigrant too.  What are you, the ethnicity sensitivity police, or some citizenship rating committee?  The American for Americans of America committee?  I grew up in thew New York area.  I had mostly Italian friends.  If I smoked twelve joints with you you'd probably still have something smart to say.  You got like three friends on here.  One of them is me.  Don't make it two.  Dang!

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was born in this place called Passaic, NJ. I'm an American. My relatives came over 3 or 4 generations ago as well. I have Czech and Dutch in my bloodline, but if your born in the States your an American, I think that is how it works.

Wait I got friends. I guess you just don't get I'm a sarcastic SOB.  After 12 joints I certainly would, but I'd rather do bong rips, or a dab.

You might be trying to be sarcastic, but your prob is that you're an a-hole.  Maybe that's your inner Passaic talking.  I'm sure you've been beaten up behind some backstops for mouthing off. 

You don't get to decide how Americas works, just like you don't get to decide "what the point is" or what's funny.  A-holes don't get to decide anything for anybody else.  You just keep running your mouth and losing friends.

You sure don't get to decide how other people see themselves, Cap'n America.  Chief.  Son.  LL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

Weird thing is he did his own maths. If we're to believe that (in less than 24 hours) Marco listed and sold his guitar for €2600, and then we pretend the dealer was able to sell it for that, he'd owe €572 in VAT. Marco expected the dealer to give him €2000. In that situation the dealer would make €28 from which he has to cover all the overheads on the deal and make a living. 

By (pretend) selling it for €2600 Marco has absolutely proved that the dealer couldn't possibly make any money if he paid €2000. Marco seems mathematically challenged. 

One of the invisible overheads the dealer has is entertaining conversations like this with the mathematically challenged which will never make him a penny. 

Dear Farnsbarns  it is you who are intellectually incapacitated  and a beg you pardon of saying it , my argument is that  a Gibson official dealer has the duty to treat well  and keep a client  , i went there to buy a 7000 bucks Gibson guitar  and  i hardly understand how  they manage to let  a Gibson  clients run away like that  , this is the main point , on top of that  he has demostrated to be  stupid  because  he just needed to ask 7600  and    put  that  600  on my trade -in Rick Beato . this demonstrate  how out of touch  they are  on selling  guitars  especially  GIBSON  M2M   .