Gibson Brands Forums

New Deck Day

IanHenry

Despite having several hundreds of vinyl records I'd given up playing them because my record deck didn't work (it may have done occasionally if you persevered with it), but yesterday I got a new Rega Planar One.

I've just finished listening to Yes's Close to the Edge and I was stunned by the depth and clarity compared to digital music reproduction, there are guitar lick's in there that I haven't heard in years, and the amount of work that went into making some of those classic albums is amazing but nowadays with digital, no one hears it.

p1OXaIl.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Despite having several hundreds of vinyl records I'd given up playing them because my record deck didn't work (it may have done occasionally if you persevered with it), but yesterday I got a new Rega Planar One.

I've just finished listening to Yes's Close to the Edge and I was stunned by the depth and clarity compared to digital music reproduction, there are guitar lick's in there that I haven't heard in years, and the amount of work that went into making some of those classic albums is amazing but nowadays with digital, no one hears it.

p1OXaIl.jpg

You had me at Close To The Edge. That is my favorite Yes album, and probably my #2 or #3 favorite album of all time. Now if you have Relayer, get that one out and fired it up.

Congrats on the deck. We call them turntables over here in the USA. Some Neanderthals call them record players

I got my Denon DP-59L turntable in 1990 in Japan and it still works and I use it all the time.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You had me at Close To The Edge. That is my favorite Yes album, and probably my #2 or #3 favorite album of all time. Now if you have Relayer, get that one out and fired it up.

Congrats on the deck. We call them turntables over here in the USA. Some Neanderthals call them record players

I got my Denon DP-59L turntable in 1990 in Japan and it still works and I use it all the time.

I love the Relayer album. listened to it this past weekend

17 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I love the Relayer album. listened to it this past weekend

I rocked it a few weeks back. I have about 8 copies of CTTE and about 5 copies of Relayer.  Never got why Jon or Yes thought Sound Chaser needed the chanting of "Cha Cha Cha Cha Cha" in the middle of  Sound Chaser.

35 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I rocked it a few weeks back. I have about 8 copies of CTTE and about 5 copies of Relayer.  Never got why Jon or Yes thought Sound Chaser needed the chanting of "Cha Cha Cha Cha Cha" in the middle of  Sound Chaser.

lol, yep. agreed.  I love that album ... 

40 minutes ago, Karloff said:

lol, yep. agreed.  I love that album ... 

Yep its my #2 from Yes. I wish that line up made a few more albums together. Tormato was a disaster, and G F T O was the beginning of the end of decent Yes. Drama was totally different, and I liked that one. The Trevor Ravin era was terrible in my opinion. Now Yes is a band with no original members calling themselves Yes. How about calling it Steve and Co., or We Have  Fake Jon Anderson Vocalist. At least be honest. Its not Yes. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

How a compact disc is engineered makes all the difference.  At the beginning many "audiophiles" suggested getting the discs with the DDD  "SPARS".  But in my opinion, they should change that to "homogenized".

I found the method used in disc engineereing that's closest to a vinyl sound is AAD (Analog recording, Analog mixing, Digital mastering).

And it's a mixed bag as I've heard things on some of my CD reissues that I've never heard on the vinyl platters of some recordings.  And I had a very good sound component and deck(turntable).    Like----

B&O  Beomaster 4400 receiver;

d8b7b76c-892a-11e6-8c4f-2ff90c56c748.jpg

Beogram 6000 turntable

19df8c5d-bfae-4121-a01e-870a9cf7109b.jpg

Pushing through  Beovox M-75 loudspeakers

beovoxm75.jpg

Anyway; congrats on your new acquirement Henry.   Hoping you have many hours a day enjoyment from it for many years.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ours still works also. We save it for Christmas and play songs for that month. Deb has tons of albums and cd's. Plus it's hooked up to big speakers in the dinning room.

An old pic but still in daily use.

Garrard 401, SME plinth, SME 3012 (upgraded) arm, Audio Technica MM cartridge.

Deck2012.jpg

Now goes to Yamaha A-S701 integrated amplifier which is an excellent unit IMO.   I am upgrading the cartridge real soon once I've decided between MM and MC (will need to buy a separate phono stage for MC).    My most recent 'upgrade' is a digital coaxial cable between the Arcam CD player and the amp, which enables me to use the DAC in the amp.  That came today and I connected it immediately.  

But Steve Ford is the one for hi-fi.  His headphone amp and phones.....

11 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

.........gave all my remaining vinyl away. 

[thumbup]   [smile]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 3

Congratulations on the new turntable!

I settled on the old Well Tempered Turntables years ago and yes, the new ones ARE made in China.

The old ones are from the US and they're just the wildest design, the arm floats in heavy silicone in a cup, the patter spins in a cup full of Mobi 1, there are no conventional bearings.  I saw the design and said that's the one for me!

Set up is a bit of a challenge at first...

HPBwMF2.jpg

I believe all the Rega products are made in England.  I have some of their CD players and a DAC, they're really good.

Edited by SteveFord

I was just given a Tandberg 3008A Pre-amp (they call it a control amp), and a Tandberg 4036 Power Amp. They were made in Norway. The condition of both were unknown. The Pre-amp was fine. It just needed a squirt of contact cleaner in the main volume pot, but the power amp is trashed. I put the Power amp on ebay for parts. It has this circular transformer in there. That may be the only thing of value. The pre-amp right now I am just using the head phone jack (that has its own volume pot) to listen to music on. I will maybe try to get an inexpensive power amp to make some speakers move air.

My main stuff is all Denon (bought in the Yokosuka Naval Exchange) and Polk Audio speakers. Nothing like what Mr. Ford has. He has the good stuff.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

15 hours ago, jdgm said:

Deck2012.jpg

Now goes to Yamaha A-S701 integrated amplifier which is an excellent unit IMO.   I am upgrading the cartridge real soon once I've decided between MM and MC (will need to buy a separate phono stage for MC).    My most recent 'upgrade' is a digital coaxial cable between the Arcam CD player and the amp, which enables me to use the DAC in the amp.  That came today and I connected it immediately.  

But Steve Ford is the one for hi-fi.  His headphone amp and phones.....

[thumbup]   [smile]

Theres an idea, I never thought of head phones. Music just doesn't sound the same to me anymore. My cell ph. is hooked up to my hearing aids. I have music installed on it and on walks, I listen to Pink Floyd and such. My favorite Blues is Gregor Hilden. But listening on the car radio, Nothing sounds right. I must have lost too many pitches. 

I also have some super low-fi wind-up phonographs. One is a 1915-17 Edison, another is a 1925-26 RCA Victor (of all 3 this is the only Victrola), and the last one is a, most likely early 1930's Brunswick. All three were made in the state of my birth - NJ. One is a true antique, and one will be in a few years. I don't have pics of them right now. I know I have posted them before.  The needles are small sharp needles about and inch long that you install your self on the tone arm The Edison has a large metal tone arm with a diamond for the stylus. All three have the classic scratchy sound, and you get to get some exercise when using it, cause you have to keep getting up to wind it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

Deck2012.jpg

Garrard always had a rep for great turntables.  A buddy of mine jumped on their zero tracking error tables when they came out in the early '70's.

maxresdefault.jpg

Loaned it to my brother in law for his house warming party.  I was at my BIL's  when the buddy called to say he was on his way to pick up his Garrard.  For a joke we taped a couple of quarters  on the end of the tone arm.  😄 

He damn near had a cow when he saw that!

Whitefang

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I have that Denon CD player, or one very like it.

I also used to have that Denon Amp. Long gone now. 

None of my stuff is a Denon CD player. Turntable. power amp, pre amp and Polk Audio speakers.

Finding good sound components is getting a bit dicey these days.  I used to(for some reason as I never subscribed)  get copies of "Stereophile" magazine in the mail.

No thanks.  I've no room in my house or budget for $15,000 turntables, $40,000 amps with $25,000 preamps and $150,000 a pair speakers

5600-stereophile-Cover-2016-April-Issue.     

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang