Gibson Brands Forums

Es335 Model number HB061m

NoelP

Hello all, I would be very grateful for any help/advice. 

I am looking at a 2011 custom shop 335, with the model number HB061m. It is listed as a 59 reissue, but nothing suggest it is on the paperwork. this is not necessarily important, more just to know exactly what it is.

I found this in searching, I found https://www.rainbowguitars.com/guitar/gibson-custom-shop/es-335-curly-maple-vintage-sunburst-coil-tap/HB061M/GB  which looks the same, though the seller has put pick up covers on, some pics were without.  When I saw the guitar, I didn't know/notice that it the coil split option, I am  mainly an acoustic player, is this unusual for a 335, am I better sticking to something more straight forward? 

Also, the back of the guitar has some stand reaction, would this affect the value much? It is otherwise perfect.

Many thanks for any insights!

Those Gibson model number codes can be a little tricky to figure out, since you found one with almost the same model number I think you know what it is.  The ad from Rainbow guitars doesn't mention anything about it being a 59 reissue so that may be wishful thinking.  Some buckle rash or stand damage on the back should knock a couple hundred off the price, but if it play wells and sounds good I wouldn't let it stop me from buying the guitar.  I also don't see any evidence of it being a custom shop guitar.  Again the ad from Rainbow says it was a limited edition, but doesn't mention custom shop.  The seller you are dealing with may be mistaken or is trying to embellish it a little by saying it's a '59 reissue Custom Shop when it is neither of those things.

Back when Memphis was operating and making all the ES guitars a Custom Shop model was built in Memphis and then sent to the Nashville Custom Shop to be finished off with some fancy split parallelogram or block fret markers, and a split diamond headstock marker (see photo below).  The one you are looking at just has dot markers and a plain headstock so I don't think it was a Custom Shop model.  So knock a little off for it not being a '59 reissue, not Custom Shop, and the damage to the back and you might have a good deal on a nice 335.

RKnKRPk.jpg

On 5/20/2023 at 4:26 AM, NoelP said:

Hello all, I would be very grateful for any help/advice. 

I am looking at a 2011 custom shop 335, with the model number HB061m. It is listed as a 59 reissue, but nothing suggest it is on the paperwork. this is not necessarily important, more just to know exactly what it is.

I found this in searching, I found https://www.rainbowguitars.com/guitar/gibson-custom-shop/es-335-curly-maple-vintage-sunburst-coil-tap/HB061M/GB  which looks the same, though the seller has put pick up covers on, some pics were without.  When I saw the guitar, I didn't know/notice that it the coil split option, I am  mainly an acoustic player, is this unusual for a 335, am I better sticking to something more straight forward? 

Also, the back of the guitar has some stand reaction, would this affect the value much? It is otherwise perfect.

Many thanks for any insights!

We are still paying for the shenanigans Gibson played circa 2011 in Memphis.  For a couple years, they intentionally mislead customers by using  "Custom" and "Custom Shop" on some of the Memphis 335 models.  Even putting the words "Custom Shop" right on the neck.  And using "Gibson Custom" COAs.  Problem was, there never was a Custom Shop in Memphis.  Why did Gibson do such a misleading thing?  It was a marketing ploy.  These particular guitars were all regular production guitars that Gibson all but secretly admitted were "Custom Shop Series" models.  So it was Custom or Custom Shop in name only.  Pretty shameless marketing there knowing it would be misunderstood.   And still having to be explained today and forever.  The real shame is Memphis quality was really good and they really didn't need the deception to sell what are really good models anyway.  Pretty easy to tell what.  If the label inside says Memphis, it was not made in the Custom Shop.  The Custom Shop is and always has been in Nashville.  There never was a Custom Shop in Memphis.

9 hours ago, IanHenry said:

You need to bear in mind that all Memphis 335's came with "Custom" on the case but they were not "Custom Shop", so you need to be careful that someone is not misselling a guitar. 

Absolutely not true.  The vast majority of Memphis 335s did *not* have "Custom" on the case.  Only *some* of the ones I mentioned above had those cases.

Edited by Wmachine
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Wmachine said:

We are still paying for the shenanigans Gibson played circa 2011 in Memphis.  For a couple years, they intentionally mislead customers by using  "Custom" and "Custom Shop" on some of the Memphis 335 models.  Even putting the words "Custom Shop" right on the neck.  And using "Gibson Custom" COAs.  Problem was, there never was a Custom Shop in Memphis.  Why did Gibson do such a misleading thing?  It was a marketing ploy.  These particular guitars were all regular production guitars that Gibson all but secretly admitted were "Custom Shop Series" models.  So it was Custom or Custom Shop in name only.  Pretty shameless marketing there knowing it would be misunderstood.   And still having to be explained today and forever.  The real shame is Memphis quality was really good and they really didn't need the deception to sell what are really good models anyway.  Pretty easy to tell what.  If the label inside says Memphis, it was not made in the Custom Shop.  The Custom Shop is and always has been in Nashville.  There never was a Custom Shop in Memphis.

Absolutely not true.  The vast majority of Memphis 335s did *not* have "Custom" on the case.  Only *some* of the ones I mentioned above had those cases.

Mine does not say "Custom" on the case. It has "Memphis" on the label but nowhere on the guitar or case does it say "Custom".

Wow,  thank you all so much for the great information, I decided not to buy the guitar anyhow, but I have  learned a lot here from you all. I since did find a similar 'custom' 335, as it happens also, 2011, but in much better shape, and with the standard pickup wiring... I may go for that.

And, very interesting, re the use of 'custom' I did not know this! In searching I was so confused by the various models and prices. so am much better educated now. 

Thank you all!