Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custon ES 335?

Carloshoek

Im confused by this one, I have a trade on the table for a ES335 which the other party claims to be a ES335 Memphis. I havent been able to pinpoint this model and do some research in terms of value. So I guess the model name is wrong. Can anyone help identify it?Screenshot_20230522_083738_Facebook.jpg.2f71c1a20577c0efa11fcd04d6c0c9d4.jpg

I had a quick look. I wasn't aware that 'Memphis' was a part of the ES 335 model name. I'm still not certain that it is.

I think the Memphis plant ran from about 1986 -2019 and the hollow & semi-hollows were made there during that period. There should be a orange sticker with 'Memphis Tennessee USA' at the bottom. That should confirm where it was made. I say 'should' because I discovered that someone is selling these labels. Not a good prospect. 

I was able to get the serial and called Gibson, the guy who wasnt really in the mood to talk to me said the serial belongs to a 2011 custom es335 from the memphis factory, also said is not a reissue of any year, and did not said anything else (like pups, radius, materials).

57 minutes ago, Carloshoek said:

I was able to get the serial and called Gibson, the guy who wasnt really in the mood to talk to me said the serial belongs to a factory, also said is not a reissue of any year, and did not said anything else (like pups, radius, materials).

See this thread for what a "2011 custom es335 from the memphis" really means.  Too bad you got someone at Gibson that was less than helpful.

2011 Memphis

26 minutes ago, Wmachine said:

See this thread for what a "2011 custom es335 from the memphis" really means.  Too bad you got someone at Gibson that was less than helpful.

2011 Memphis

So essentially a regular run guitar sold as a "custom" do you know where I can find the specs for this run?

7 hours ago, Carloshoek said:

So essentially a regular run guitar sold as a "custom" do you know where I can find the specs for this run?

Just for future reference for you or anyone else looking for specs for years previous to 2015,  I've had some pretty good luck digging up old Gibson web site pages  using the Way Back Machine. Way Back Machine

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got a similar issue/question with a 2007 335 I picked up today. It looks like your standard 335 but has a 60s slim taper neck, 57 classics, stock Grover tuners and a flame top under the cherry finish. To top it all off, it has “Custom” engraved on the truss rod cover, and the code is ES-DT335 on the label (Memphis). Was this guitar part of a special run for a retailer like GC, Sam Ash etc? I bought it because it’s a fabulous guitar that I got below market,  but I am curious about its backstory. Thx in advance!

23 hours ago, Backalleyblues said:

I’ve got a similar issue/question with a 2007 335 I picked up today. It looks like your standard 335 but has a 60s slim taper neck, 57 classics, stock Grover tuners and a flame top under the cherry finish. To top it all off, it has “Custom” engraved on the truss rod cover, and the code is ES-DT335 on the label (Memphis). Was this guitar part of a special run for a retailer like GC, Sam Ash etc? I bought it because it’s a fabulous guitar that I got below market,  but I am curious about its backstory. Thx in advance!

I don't think the aforementioned "Custom Shop Series" went that far back.  My guess is that your truss rod cover was replaced post factory.  

On 6/4/2023 at 8:07 PM, Wmachine said:

I don't think the aforementioned "Custom Shop Series" went that far back.  My guess is that your truss rod cover was replaced post factory.  

Very well could be, TBH. Interesting that it came with a TKL made case with "Gibson Custom" silkscreened on the lid... regardless a great guitar!

4 minutes ago, Backalleyblues said:

Very well could be, TBH. Interesting that it came with a TKL made case with "Gibson Custom" silkscreened on the lid... regardless a great guitar!

And that's the point that shouldn't get lost in all the Memphis/Custom talk.  Memphis made really great guitars there over the years.  That's what really matters,