Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

I played a 1946-ish J45 the other day…


Recommended Posts

Pretty amazing, sadly already purchased by someone else. I’d only played modern J45 standards up until I tried that one. Definitely a warmer tone, age definitely seems to change the tone of an acoustic guitar for the better. I really liked it, although I could see that the top had begun to warp a little with the front of the bridge starting to angle slightly down. I was surprised at how familiar the tone was to me, definitely in the same sonic ballpark as a modern J45, just aged like a fine wine. Great experience!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 1929GibsonD-18E said:

Pretty amazing, sadly already purchased by someone else. I’d only played modern J45 standards up until I tried that one. Definitely a warmer tone, age definitely seems to change the tone of an acoustic guitar for the better. I really liked it, although I could see that the top had begun to warp a little with the front of the bridge starting to angle slightly down. I was surprised at how familiar the tone was to me, definitely in the same sonic ballpark as a modern J45, just aged like a fine wine. Great experience!

Hi - you should have taken a picture. But sure, 45s are related, yet come in many variations'n'nuances over the years. And age adds to that.                                                                                                                                                                                            I have a quartet of J-45s ~ 1953 - 1959 - 1963 - 2010.  Plus fx my pals 2005. You could not imagine how different they are.

                              Welcome to the Forum - have fun & interesting times here

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been happily settled in with a 1942 J50 for many years now.  Every time I pull the guitar for the case it is like hearing it the first time causing me to utter a silent "whoa".  To this day I do not feel as much like I own the instrument as I have been appointed its caretaker.   What it taught me though is when you run across that guitar you were meant to have you will know it.  I have not owned near as many Gibsons as others here - maybe 11 or so.  But of that number only three transcended that special category into very special - the '42 J50, a '32 L1 and a 1956 Southerner Jumbo.  Better batting average than my wife though who has only found one which is her 1960 J200.  It remains the only six string acoustic she owns.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

   What it taught me though is when you run across that guitar you were meant to have you will know it. 

That's a quote to preserve. 

Lucky & Happy to say I have several of these.

Would btw. be intereztink to hear about the 1942 J-50 / 1956 SJ differences/similarities. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

That's a quote to preserve. 

Lucky & Happy to say I have several of these.

Would btw. be intereztink to hear about the 1942 J-50 / 1956 SJ differences/similarities. 

I do not own the '56 SJ any longer.  Back in the day I had to let something go to get something new.  It has been over 10 years now and it remains the only Gibson from my past which still haunts me.  I used to get calls from a local music store to bring it down for shootouts when they got other 1950s guitars in.  That SJ never lost.

The J50 is the guitar the second generation luthier who fixed it up for me said his father used to call "once in a blue moon Gibsons" meaning it did something they were not supposed to and came off like it had a healthy dose of the DNA of some other guitar in it.  When he gave the guitar back to me, he did so with the words never let it out of your hands.  While I knew there was something very special about this guitar from the start it was still nice to hear somebody else who has played more 1940s Gibsons then most of us will ever see say it.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...