Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard unleveled

Hello from Chile guys! I have a question regarding fret buzz… 

I have a 95’ LPC and didn’t use it for a while because it was being refinished. When I got it back, I noticed a fretbuzz in 6th, 5th and 4th strings (I use 10-52 gauge) between 3rd and 13th frets. 
At the beginning, I thought it was the neck so I checked but it was straight, so I release it a little curve, it didn’t help. Then I thought It might be the action, so I raised a little bit the action but no result. Then, I thought it was the nut, so I shimm it but nothing… 

I took it to my luthier and he saw the fretboard a little bit unleveled, he said that the wood might have reacted that way to humidity… it’s not a twisted neck, but between 8th and 12th fret you can see that the fretboard is slightly risen where the 6-5-4 strings pass. 

Now,  he told me that a solution could be a fretboard level with a refret but I’d lose the fret nibs. Another solution is fret leveling but there’s a chance the frets might get damaged. 

do you have any suggestions? Is there anything I might be missing? Is it true that the fretboard might get unlevel because of humidity?  Any link where I should look?

thank you!

So the board is ebony?  

I'd like to see a pic of this.   Between 8th/12th fret.......:-k

Perhaps it has lifted and separated from the neck?  Humidity - it would have to get VERY humid to affect ebony at all IMO.

It sounds very frustrating.  I think you need to be quite sure what is causing this, as a fretboard / fret level is a serious and irreversible operation.  If it is somehow being pushed up from below that might not fix it.

Good luck!

7 minutes ago, jdgm said:

So the board is ebony?  

I'd like to see a pic of this.   Between 8th/12th fret.......:-k

Perhaps it has lifted and separated from the neck?  Humidity - it would have to get VERY humid to affect ebony at all IMO.

It sounds very frustrating.  I think you need to be quite sure what is causing this, as a fretboard / fret level is a serious and irreversible operation.  If it is somehow being pushed up from below that might not fix it.

Good luck!

Hello! Thanks for answering. It’s ebony. What I was told that happen is that the temperature exposure made the fingerboard swollen a little bit, so the frets raised causing the buzz. This is quite common (as I was told) and as I’ve read, the best solution is leave it as it is and wait for the wood to come back to it’s natural shape. The fretboard didn’t separated or anything like that, it is just a deformation of it. 
So, I guess I will leave it cosy and warm in its case for a while. 
thank you